VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi,
    I'm looking for a video tool for mac os x(free if possible) that gives me the possibility to crop 4:3 or 16:9 without unscaling the image that would just add black bars to the video and keep the aspect ratio.

thing is i wanna burn a video onto dvd but when i use ffmpegx and put it 16:9 720x480 to create a video_ts it screws up the scaling and doesnt crop, it enlages the image to fit the frame.

it could be a tool in a more complete video program or a simple application that does only that.

i googled and i read many forums but i haven't found a way to do this

-Frank
    Macbook pro 2.4 Ghz/4Go Ram/ OSX 10.5.7
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by francoislebel
    hi,
    I'm looking for a video tool for mac os x(free if possible) that gives me the possibility to crop 4:3 or 16:9 without unscaling the image that would just add black bars to the video and keep the aspect ratio.

thing is i wanna burn a video onto dvd but when i use ffmpegx and put it 16:9 720x480 to create a video_ts it screws up the scaling and doesnt crop, it enlages the image to fit the frame.
    You might get better help in the ffmpegx subforum. If you post there, someone would inevitably ask you to give more details, such as source and target file parameters, and what settings you selected. Ffmpegx has many, many options, and it sometimes defaults to choices you may not like. But you can generally override them and make it do your bidding. Without knowing more about what you did, you may not have clicked the appropriate choices (e.g., letterboxing) to get the correct result. Or it could be a bug in the code. Hard to tell at this point.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll move you to our Mac forum and you may be able to get more answers there.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Submerge should do this. I use it and it will add the black bars necessary to pad "black" above and below the exiting video. I then can export as I need.

I do not do DVDs any more so I can't guarantee results. However, the app is free to download and test and, IIRC, only cost $10 once I found it would do what I needed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. submerge is only good for playstation 3, xbox apple tv ipod and iphone
    it's of no use for dvd players. unless theres a work around i dont see on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use the "Force X:X Aspect Ratio" commands, it will add a black background of the appropriate size (based upon which of the commands you choose). This may be saved as a QT Movie and then dropped into whatever you use to encode/author. You don't actually have to "export" to any of the devices you mentioned.
    Quote Quote