VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, my computer has started running very slow. I did ctl-alt-delete and there are like 12 svchost processes running. Is this normal. It seems like somewhere I saw that these could be a virus. I have install spybot search and destroy, ccleaner and winpatrol. Any advice on what I should do next, my memory isn't even close to full.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. could be 12 without a virus. run malwarebytes, superantispyware, and maybe avast free antivirus. to check for rootkits, look up gmer and how to run it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It can be normal, depends on what your system is running. My main system has a lot of svchost sessions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, worth a try
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BLSAMPLES
    Ok, my computer has started running very slow. I did ctl-alt-delete and there are like 12 svchost processes running. Is this normal. It seems like somewhere I saw that these could be a virus. I have install spybot search and destroy, ccleaner and winpatrol. Any advice on what I should do next, my memory isn't even close to full.
    thanks
    Have you run Spybot and CCleaner? What did they find?
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spybot found no immediate threats and ccleaner cleaned 52.7 mb
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think this has something to do with norton antivirus/internet security.
    Try googleing it.
    wake up this planet is dying!
    Quote Quote  
  8. use task manager to identify what is using the cpu cycles. control-alt-delete. click on the processes tab, and then click twice on cpu to bring the highest users to the top.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    System Idle Processes have 80-98
    Everything else is 0-5. and varies between svchost task manager exploreer hpqbam08.exe
    Quote Quote  
  10. maybe something is doing a brackground scan? is your antivirus/am/at set to scan automatically? and that hp program, are you using your all-in-one for something, alerts popping up?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have my antivirus to be automatic, I have an hp digital imaging monitor icon that keeps coming up on the bottom right side of my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any idea on what I need to do about this?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Svchost.exe is a generic exe that runs windows services and DLLs

You can use Process Explorer to find out what each svchost is running
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, ran it, here is what I came up with. Sorry but can you tell me what I can kill. These are waht were running when I had no programs or internet open...
    services
    procexp
    wltrysvc
    winpatrol
    winlogon
    svchost-generic host proce for win 32 (about 8-10 of these)
    -spooler subscription application (1 of these)
    smss
    msmpeng
    isass
    dpc's
    crfmon
    csvss
    ccsvchst (2 of these)
    bcmwltry
    alg
    interrups
    thanks.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes once you have it running, you can hover over each of the svchost files and it will tell you what it's running. You can also double click it and open up and it will tell you what it's running.

However, if I were you, I would download and install SuperAntiSpyware. Then I would update it (it can take 3 times to get all the updates)
    I would then do a full scan
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks there were about 20 files including 6 trojans! I don't know if it's running better yet, working on it. One more question. I know before I had went to msconfig and stopped some services to speed up my start up and computer. Does anyone know which ones I have to have running?
    thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  17. windows doesn't require anything in the startup tab. BUT your antivirus, a/s, a/t, video, audio, and some copy protected software do need things in there. it just depends on what programs you have.
    Quote Quote