VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am occasionally having audio sync playback issues with AVIs created by AGK. Using original DVDs as source, I create Xvid AVIs using AGK and copy these AVIs onto an external HD that I hookup to my HD set top.

I use no compression in DVD Shrink (only stripping out menus/trailers/extras) and select 100% quality in AGK when creating the AVIs (using the main IFO as the source). What could be a potential source of the cause?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sync problems usually come from badly ripped discs.

either use dvdfab hd or anydvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yep, do a movie only decrypt using DVDFab HD Decrypter. Following that up by running the VOBs through FixVTS is a good idea as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono
    Yep, do a movie only decrypt using DVDFab HD Decrypter. Following that up by running the VOBs through FixVTS is a good idea as well.
    Been using DVDDecrypter for years now. Only 5% of the time do I need to resort to DVDFabDecrypter (when DVDDecrypter doesn't like the disc). What you're telling me is that the culprit is DVDDecrypter? If I burn the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder to single layer DVD, there are no sync issues EVER, only when converting the Xvid AVI via AGK.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by coeng73
    What you're telling me is that the culprit is DVDDecrypter?
    No, the culprit is newer copy protections put in place since development of DVD Decrypter was discontinued. I use it myself about 95% of the time, but I assume you're having these synch problems with newer DVDs with newer copy protections. It has no problems at all with DVDs without these protections.
    If I burn the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder to single layer DVD, there are no sync issues EVER,
    Yeah, so? That proves absolutely nothing at all. The cell commands are still in place that tell it to skip the unreferenced cells. Those commands and the cell structure itself are stripped out when converting to AVI or somesuch. It's those unreferenced cells that cause the problems. The DVDFab HD Decrypter/FixVTS combo gets rid of them.
    ...only when converting the Xvid AVI via AGK.
    This has absolutely nothing at all to do with AutoGK. Doing the conversion to AVI using any other program, or even doing it manually, will also result in out-of-synch audio. It's up to you to prepare the VOBs correctly before feeding them (or the IFO) into AutoGK. Actually, it's really your fault.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono
    Originally Posted by coeng73
    No, the culprit is newer copy protections put in place since development of DVD Decrypter was discontinued. I use it myself about 95% of the time, but I assume you're having these synch problems with newer DVDs with newer copy protections. It has no problems at all with DVDs without these protections.
    If I burn the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder to single layer DVD, there are no sync issues EVER,
    Yeah, so? That proves absolutely nothing at all. The cell commands are still in place that tell it to skip the unreferenced cells. Those commands and the cell structure itself are stripped out when converting to AVI or somesuch. It's those unreferenced cells that cause the problems. The DVDFab HD Decrypter/FixVTS combo gets rid of them.
    This has absolutely nothing at all to do with AutoGK. Doing the conversion to AVI using any other program, or even doing it manually, will also result in out-of-synch audio. It's up to you to prepare the VOBs correctly before feeding them (or the IFO) into AutoGK. Actually, it's really your fault.
    Thanks! Lots of information I never knew about.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono
    Originally Posted by coeng73
    OK, so I finally got around to this issue again. I used DVDFab 6 (full DVD) followed by FixVTS (full DVD). After FixVTS ran, I ran the contents of the folder that FixVTS created through DVDShrink to get rid of menus, and then used that as my input to AGK.

Same result...audio is still out of sync. I'm hoping that I did something wrong in the process. Did I?
    Quote Quote  
  8. If doing a movie you should be using DVDFab HD Decrypter in Main Movie Mode or whatever it's called. There's never any need to put the entire DVD onto the hard drive when all you want is to convert the movie to AVI. Perhaps there are referenced PGCs/Titles, short ones without any associated audio that play before the movie begins (a split second or more of black frames) which might throw off the audio for the movie itself. That being said though, it's often easier to just fix the delay rather than spending time encoding and reencoding. It's very easy to do. In Baldrick's guide he explains how to find the delay:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic374348.html

That guide is for fixing DVDs, though. Then to fix it for AVIs you open the AVI in VDubMod, set Video to Direct Stream Copy, go into Streams->Stream List->right-click the audio->Interleaving, and then fill in the amount of the delay in the Audio Skew Correction box. OK back to the main screen and then File->Save As (give it a new name),
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono
    In Baldrick's guide he explains how to find the delay:
    I opened the AVI in MPC to determine the delay but could not figure out how to determine it.

"....using Media Player Classic and PLAY the video and at the same use the + or - on the keyboard to see how much you have to adjust the audio delay...."

I pressed the + and - keys and saw no effect. I did not see the "audio delay" indication that he posted with the first illustration in Baldrick's guide.
    Quote Quote  
  10. He's using Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I've never seen it in the blue box in the upper left hand corner, though. I figured that was a just newer version than what I have. I see it in the lower left corner, as in his pic. I know I never adjusted anything to make it work, so it must work by default. You may not be able to tell any difference unless you make it over 100ms or so. It advances in increments of +/- 10ms.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono
    He's using Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I've never seen it in the blue box in the upper left hand corner, though. I figured that was a just newer version than what I have. I see it in the lower left corner, as in his pic. I know I never adjusted anything to make it work, so it must work by default. You may not be able to tell any difference unless you make it over 100ms or so. It advances in increments of +/- 10ms.
    I figured the blue box was something he photoshopped in. I'll give it a try later today with MPC Home Cinema. The delay I have to account for is on the order of 1000ms give or take, so I hope that's not more than can be compensated for with the increment tool.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono
    He's using Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I've never seen it in the blue box in the upper left hand corner, though. I figured that was a just newer version than what I have. I see it in the lower left corner, as in his pic. I know I never adjusted anything to make it work, so it must work by default. You may not be able to tell any difference unless you make it over 100ms or so. It advances in increments of +/- 10ms.
    Well, I'm running the same version that he has in the photo (1.3.1249.0) and I still don't see "Audio Delay" anywhere on the screen. I've tried it for VOB files and AVI files as well.

????
    Quote Quote  
  13. OK, try this. Play something using it and pause it (click on the screen). Then right-click on the screen and go Options->Internal Filters->Audio Switcher. Check and see if "Enable Built In Audio Switcher Filter" is checked. If not, check that box and hit "Apply" followed by "OK". Close out the player and then restart it. Then see if the +/- keys work to show the Audio Delay in the lower left of the player.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by manono
    OK, try this. Play something using it and pause it (click on the screen). Then right-click on the screen and go Options->Internal Filters->Audio Switcher. Check and see if "Enable Built In Audio Switcher Filter" is checked. If not, check that box and hit "Apply" followed by "OK". Close out the player and then restart it. Then see if the +/- keys work to show the Audio Delay in the lower left of the player.
    It worked, and I was eventually able to fix my AVIs. Thank you for all your help Manono.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Whew, I was starting to get a bit worried. Good going for both sticking with it until it was resolved and for not getting too frustrated and mad at me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by coeng73 View Post
    I opened the AVI in MPC to determine the delay but could not figure out how to determine it.
    Ok, i was having problems figuring this out.... here is what i discovered.

1. Open one of the VOB files using Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC) and pause the video.

2. Goto File->Properties

Click image for larger version

Name:	FindDelay.001.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	20304

3. Click on the MediaInfo tab, scroll down to Delay Relative to Video, which in this case is -68ms (milli-seconds)

Click image for larger version

Name:	FindDelay.002.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	20303

Hope that helped someone out... it was driving me nuts !
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've been trimming movies the way you do for a few years and figured out the problem was with DVDShrink. The author went to work for Ahead and renamed it to Recode. The problem with trimming appears to have been fixed since the version that came with Nero 7.

Another way around it is do as Manono suggested to extract the Main Movie only with DVDfab HD Decrypter, run it through AutoGK, then trim the AVI with Vdub set to Direct Stream Copy. Minor issue here is you're limited to cutting to Keyframes, even if you set the start mark to another frame it will cut at the next keyframe.
    Quote Quote