VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I am playing an IMG file using VLC but somehow it displays only the half screen !!! But when I burn that IMG file into a dvd then it is played just fine. What is wrong here? Bellow is the shot.

I want to convert this IMG file to AVI file. I need to fix this issue first in order to do that but I do not know how. Can some one help me? Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like it reads the aspect ratio wrong. Have you searched the vlc forums? Maybe post a bug report also.

But what does this have to with converting it to avi? Mount the img dvd with virtual clonedrive and convert to avi with handbrake or autogk. Or do you want to use vlc to convert with?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick,

Thank you very much for you reply. I do not want to use VLC to convert it to AVI (perhaps I do not know that VLC can do this task). The reason I am asking this because I am afraid that after I convert it to AVI, I will have the same problem viewing it as with the IMG file. I already converted it to AVI and here are steps I did:

1.Using winrar to extract the .VOB files from the IMG file.
    2.Using VOBMerge to join those .VOB files into one single file.
    3.Using AVIDemux to convert that .VOB file to AVI.

But the outcome AVI file do not have audio at all (I tested the VOB file before converting and it is played just fine without any problem). What should I have to configure for video and audio in AVIDemux for doing this? Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you extract the whole DVD structure when attempting to play it with VLC, or just the .VOB files? I can't remember if VLC needs the whole (proper) DVD structure to play authored DVD-Video properly, including the .IFO files, as I don't really use it to play DVDs. (And I'm not sure it handles .IMG files correctly. .ISO, maybe... never really tried it.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Did you extract the whole DVD structure when attempting to play it with VLC, or just the .VOB files? I can't remember if VLC needs the whole (proper) DVD structure to play authored DVD-Video properly, including the .IFO files, as I don't really use it to play DVDs. (And I'm not sure it handles .IMG files correctly. .ISO, maybe... never really tried it.)
    I am not using VLC to play DVDs. I only use it to test ISO/IMG file before I burn it to DVDs. VLC can play all ISO/IMG files (or any .VOB file) without the need of DVD structure.

htp367
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But testing an ISO/IMG is (generally) playing a DVD, which is what I meant. I just wasn't sure how well VLC supported disc image formats, and thought it might work better with the DVD structure extracted rather than contained in an image file as a result.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote