VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I went to open my dvd drive today, and it wouldn't open from my keyboard button. I then tried the button on the case itself, and nothing. I tried using the eject option under my computer-nada. I have disabled and enabled under device manager. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver, but nothing is working. No matter what I try all that happens is it makes a ticking sound when I try to eject. The only way to open it is by using a paper clip. There is no disc in the drive either. Is there any way to fix this, or does it mean my beloved BENQ1620 is dead? Please say it ain't so!!
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. try moving the tray from side to side before pushing the open button. i have a lite-on with a "sticky" tray that will only open after wiggling it. otherwise yes it's most likely time to look for a new one, unless you want to take it apart and see if the tray drive band has fallen off. some of them you can see at the front of the drive connecting 2 pulleys if the tray is open.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most likely it's dying. You have my sympathy, my Ben-Q 1620 gave up the ghost six months ago.

But there are a few things to try, long shots, but hey...

1) Change the cabling, both power and data. Had that happen to me once, and was ready to chuck it. I was surprised when the problem went away.
    2) If you suspect there may be a software conflict, try checking the registry for upper and lower filters, and delete them. Then re-install your burning programs. As outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Had that happen as well, and the symptoms were obscure, not really as described above.

3) Twice now I've had to take apart an optical drive and re-seat the tray. (Dunno why all this crap happens to me. I must be cursed or clumsy. :P ) Look closely and it's obvious how to do it. Worked for me both times.

As to your other thread, I should think you'd get a quick response if you ask that question at cdfreaks. Or maybe Budz or someone else here knows the answer. Is it really that important to burn 8x discs at 12x? Anyway, I currently have a Lite-On, an LG, and a Samsung, the latter two are lightscribe burners. All three are perfectly satisfactory. My own opinion is the differences between burners are less than in the past.

Good luck. Too bad about your beloved Ben-Q.

[EDIT] Oh hell, forgot one:

4) I have a bay on one computer case that doesn't quite line up with the front plate. Screwing down the mounting screws too tight pushed the face plate to one side, putting pressure on the tray. Yep, damn tray wouldn't open without a paperclip. Took a while to figure that one out.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, your beloved BENQ 1620 drive is dying. Unfortunately it's not worth trying to fix the drive. Buy a new dvd burner either a PIONEER or SAMSUNG or LG in that order. Dvd burners don't last forever.... I've have (1) BENQ 1640 & 1650 also dying the slow death...the trays as well don't always open up when I press the button. I have to use the computer to open them up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is a sad day indeed. It's not really a big deal about the 12x vs 8x. I'm actually more worried that newer drives won't burn well with these older verbatims? Am I just being overly anxious?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    This is a sad day indeed. It's not really a big deal about the 12x vs 8x. I'm actually more worried that newer drives won't burn well with these older verbatims? Am I just being overly anxious?
    Don't be anxiety ridden about the newer drives. The PIONEER drives burn well. Although I haven't bought the newest PIONEER model sata 217 drive yet the 218 model is already out in the USA.

From the 216 drive PIONEER no longer has the read speeds riplocked. Therefore discs can be ripped at a faster speed. You could use MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT to have the drive rip discs even faster.
    I'd grab a 216 or 217 drive if you can find one. Because supposedly PIONEER no longer manufacturers their own DVD drives. From what I've read at CDFreaks the 218 is probably a rebadged LITEON since it uses the MEDIATEK chipset.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-218l-s18l-218chv-218xlv-279154/

SAMSUNG drives are fine as well but I haven't bought any of their latest drives for a long time. Advantage to that brand is CoDeKIng provides hacked firmware for the drives.

The LG drives are okay but beware of ad-aware that's built into one of their latest drive's. From the reports on Newegg LG has some ad-aware or unnecessary program that installs. When prompt if you want it installed just click "NO" then you won't have it on your pc. Their drives are riplocked meaning discs can't be ripped at faster speeds. But you can use MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT to rip at faster speeds.

I've only bought PIONEER drives in the last year and a half. Most of the drives I have in my present computers are PIONEER. Although I have many BENQ 1640's, 1650's & 1620's sitting on my shelf. They've been paper weights over the last few years. Because the mobo's that I own at the moment have only 1 IDE connection.
    Quote Quote