VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you like your pizza? Fresh, frozen, store bought, home made?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Gimme giant foldable floppy New York style pizza, easy on the sauce with pepperoni & LOTS of cheese!
    Chicago style is disgusting... I want PIZZA, not a freakin' casserole!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    Gimme giant foldable floppy New York style pizza, easy on the sauce with pepperoni & LOTS of cheese!
    Chicago style is disgusting... I want PIZZA, not a freakin' casserole!

freak'n deep dish isn't cheap too.we have a place called giordanos.they charge $30 for 14" super vegi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Uno's chain doesn't match the Chicago original Uno, but I prefer thin crust these days.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After discovering the pizza baking stone it's homemade all the way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A nearby bakery makes it & you take it home & warm it.

You know, a lot of stores have fresh dough you can buy. Trader Joe's has it for like a dollar nineteen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Trader Joe's has it for like a dollar nineteen.
    Good tip.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

I had pizza last night. Yum Yum.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ate frozen pizza for a long time because it was cheap and I could afford it. The only problem is that most cheap, frozen pizzas taste like a piece of...never mind. The point is I can't stand frozen pizzas anymore. I did find that there are other options though. Cheap hot and ready deals (but these are loaded with grease) tided me over for a bit. I really wanted to make pizza homemade. (This is good but can be very expensive.) so i found this online coupon printer. It was for a pizza chain (papa John's) and the deals made it almost as cheap as the frozen stuff. Now with a handful of Papa John's coupons, a couple bucks, and some online luck I get okay quality pizza for cheap. (Still have to say I wish I had a GROCERY coupon so I could make my own.) So I have to say Homemade Pizza Rocks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by louv68
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    As for pizza, Chicago deepdish are over rated.
    For you maybe, since you've probably never had a good deepdish. If you want the best deepdish, you more than likely have to go to Chicago. I have yet to have a good deepdish anywhere else.
    I did have the deep dish at Chicago on couple of occasions, on those stay over plus it is United Airline Hub.

I actuality is into very thin Pizza. Like Sicilian.

Originally Posted by handyguy
    A nearby bakery makes it & you take it home & warm it.

You know, a lot of stores have fresh dough you can buy. Trader Joe's has it for like a dollar nineteen.
    Not the Trade Joe in my town. The only market sells Pizza dough is Roche brothers market. Still better than store make
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    La Pizza, The Harbour, Cannes, France. The best pizza in Europe, if not the world (and only 6 Euros a time).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Papa Johns around the corner...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm hungry...
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The closest to good tasting frozen pies is Celesta's. Everyone else tasts like cardboard or some strange fungus like taste.

I've been temping to do this for ages (because my hoemtown pizza place is slagging off on my friday specials) but after this past friday, I said, "no more.." darnet! he puts too much cheese on mine--I like mine light on cheese and well done, now he gives my friday specials to his new helper and he just plain sucks--he hates me because for two months he heard nothing but, "friday specials..com'en right up" and he hates me w/ a passion. So he makes mine w/ ten pounds of cheese and I scream.

So, I had my eye on a few new ovens w/ pizza feature and found one at sears, on sale $59 from $87, but I picked it up yesterday, set it up this evening, and as I type this, its cooking my very first piZzA pie, "that's amorryy" or however they sing that pizza song, hehe

Well, for what its worth, I found making it was a pain. I mean, setting up the pizza dough (to flatten it and spread it across the pan) took a lot of sweat. I sweated over that one. I had to towel off after the battle.

..warning, here's a TIP..
    Actually, I found a neat trick (for anyone who might be tempted at pie'ing on their own) when rolling out your dough over the pan, after you've flowered the pan and the dough, *and your hands* do this:

1. use a small can of pees, unopened
    2. roll it back and forth, but you can prep the dough by grabbing the edges and letting some of its weight pull it down, but watch that it doesn't tear. When you've got it as flat and covering the area much, take the can and roll it up and down and around, trying to push the dough to the edge of the pan.
    3. last trick.. rull the dough up to the edge of the pan so it sort of "locks" into place else the dough will "sherival" back to a clump. I had a lot of batteling it out in the 20 minutes I quickly learned how to fluf n roll the dough out to cover the whole pan. Trust me, its a tricky-dicky little battle. The next time, I'll prob get better at it.

When I first started rolling out the dough, I was totally meserized. I said, "what had I gotten myself into" because it would not roll out. It kept bunching back to a clump. But, in steps 1..3 you see how I barely over came that. But, I hope there is a better way, because there's no way I can fluf n roll out dough over a pan like the pros do at the pizzarirra's.

EMMM.... I can't wait to test taste my very first a-la-v-pie, yumm!

I'll let you all know how it "panned" out, hehe

EDIT: pizza was a success.. though not like my friday specials. I made the dough too thick, not that I was aiming at that, and the cheese was from a package and prob not actual pizza cheese, but the dough tasted ok. So, all in all its a start, but prob not something I would do every fridays though I am looking for a change in my friday routines. Oh yeah, the pie was a 12 incher.

-vhelp 5160
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    The closest to good tasting frozen pies is Celesta's. Everyone else tasts like cardboard or some strange fungus like taste.

I've been temping to do this for ages (because my hoemtown pizza place is slagging off on my friday specials) but after this past friday, I said, "no more.." darnet! he puts too much cheese on mine--I like mine light on cheese and well done, now he gives my friday specials to his new helper and he just plain sucks--he hates me because for two months he heard nothing but, "friday specials..com'en right up" and he hates me w/ a passion. So he makes mine w/ ten pounds of cheese and I scream.

So, I had my eye on a few new ovens w/ pizza feature and found one at sears, on sale $59 from $87, but I picked it up yesterday, set it up this evening, and as I type this, its cooking my very first piZzA pie, "that's amorryy" or however they sing that pizza song, hehe

Well, for what its worth, I found making it was a pain. I mean, setting up the pizza dough (to flatten it and spread it across the pan) took a lot of sweat. I sweated over that one. I had to towel off after the battle.

..warning, here's a TIP..
    Actually, I found a neat trick (for anyone who might be tempted at pie'ing on their own) when rolling out your dough over the pan, after you've flowered the pan and the dough, *and your hands* do this:

1. use a small can of pees, unopened
    2. roll it back and forth, but you can prep the dough by grabbing the edges and letting some of its weight pull it down, but watch that it doesn't tear. When you've got it as flat and covering the area much, take the can and roll it up and down and around, trying to push the dough to the edge of the pan.
    3. last trick.. rull the dough up to the edge of the pan so it sort of "locks" into place else the dough will "sherival" back to a clump. I had a lot of batteling it out in the 20 minutes I quickly learned how to fluf n roll the dough out to cover the whole pan. Trust me, its a tricky-dicky little battle. The next time, I'll prob get better at it.

When I first started rolling out the dough, I was totally meserized. I said, "what had I gotten myself into" because it would not roll out. It kept bunching back to a clump. But, in steps 1..3 you see how I barely over came that. But, I hope there is a better way, because there's no way I can fluf n roll out dough over a pan like the pros do at the pizzarirra's.

EMMM.... I can't wait to test taste my very first a-la-v-pie, yumm!

I'll let you all know how it "panned" out, hehe

EDIT: pizza was a success.. though not like my friday specials. I made the dough too thick, not that I was aiming at that, and the cheese was from a package and prob not actual pizza cheese, but the dough tasted ok. So, all in all its a start, but prob not something I would do every fridays though I am looking for a change in my friday routines. Oh yeah, the pie was a 12 incher.

-vhelp 5160
    Buy a pizza baking stone and wooden peel and use a regular oven (oops too late). Bialetti's makes an inexpensive set for about $30. Comes with stone, rack, cutter and wooden peel. You can't make a proper pizza crust without the stone to absorb the moisture while cooking, ala pizzeria pizza ovens.

Until I bought this cheap set my homemade's didn't quite come out right. It cooks from the bottom up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh dear...first gamers...now cooks
    aww...look at the cute little guy eating pizza
    it's right up there with the dancing baby...awwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    oh dear...first gamers...now cooks...
    Gamers? Speak for yourself Mate. Did you ever take a look at the trash in their forums? Us Video Freaks aren't like that ...

... and now with us being "Cooks" can you imagine their comments?

Errr... come to think of it, maybe you have a point about the origins of our video hobby. But I believe we're at the mature end of the genre here (if indeed there's any "Gamer" left in some of us).

... so glad I've moved on ...
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by puzzler
    But I believe we're at the mature end of the genre here
    Mature??

Didn't you see the updated how old are you poll the other week? Its like a retirement rest home here!!! Jeesh......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    oh dear...first gamers...now cooks
    aww...look at the cute little guy eating pizza
    it's right up there with the dancing baby...awwwwwwwwwwwwww
    I can't game anymore because of carpal tunnel syndrome from excessive arrow key. mouse and joystick use. Beer and rolling out pizza dough is about it for me.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

-vhelp 5160
    Dean Martin wasn't sing'n for pizza, he was sing'n for those short, tight Milano dresses and what you find inside them...

amore = love in Italian

but anything done with a passion is...amore
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by puzzler
    But I believe we're at the mature end of the genre here
    Mature??

Didn't you see the updated how old are you poll the other week? Its like a retirement rest home here!!! Jeesh......
    Speak up!!! No one can hear you when all you do is whisper like that. All you young people doing your fancy things. If I could find my cane I'd wack you good! Have you seen my cane? In my day the internet was on postcards. You got 5 for a nickel. The French ones cost more. We had to keep those hidden because the ladies would show it all...I mean full ankles, sometimes both at the same time! I need my heart medicine! Have you seen my heart medicine?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    product: Pizza Maker, kitchen & home

Anybody heared or tried one of these. I'm almost sold, I think.

reviews:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000GH3QIU/ref=cm_rdp_hist_hdr_cm_cr_acr_txt?i...owViewpoints=1

Well, I think I'm sold on this one, but I 'm still searching because I don't think I can get one of these since its UK, I think.
    But the reviews seem overwelming successful. The only thing seriously bad about these (i'm sure others are like this) is that they get very hot and you have to be *very* careful around children, but thats no problem unless you're that clumsy.

Now to find (similar) one here in the states..

But do read the reviews and see for yourself. So what you all think ? any comments ?

-vhelp 5164
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would not recommend the pizza cooker. You don't need a pizza cooker or a pizza stone. Just get a dark coated pan. The one I use and recommend is a 15" Bakalon Deep Dish Pizza Pan - Chicago Metallic part #91150. I used to sell them to cooking schools. It is the Pizza Hut pan. They are 14 gauge, heavy weight high strength aluminum with embossed feet. They are dark gray with a hard coated anodized surface. The pans will not chip, peel, rust or interact with food. The Bakalon surface is not a painted coating, but an integrated surface of aluminum oxide tough enough to resist the use and abuse of a commercial kitchen. I bought my first pans used 20 years ago and still use them today. You can find them on ebay if you know what you are looking for. If not just buy a gray/dark coated pan. The dark color of the surface absorbs radiant heat in the oven vs reflecting it with silver pans. Your crust will cook properly.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I finally found a pizza stone, a 9" one, and enough for my needs.

Now, what I need to know is the technique for layout the dough, flat vs thick, and with minimum amount of fuss while laying it on the stone, after all, my pizza guy does it in under two minutes for crying out loud.

So I have this mini refregerator, holds about a 6pk soda, doesn't get as cold as my kitchen one but its cold enough, and maybe just right for dough. So i'm thinking that if I pick up a dough on Thursdays and put into the mini, then by Friday evening after work, I have a not-so-cold dough, ready to lay out on the stone. Its my guess that when the dough stays out in room temporature, its easier to work with.

I was wondering for those who have experience with dough, please share your technique for laying out flat on a board or stone.

Thanks,

-vhelp 5208
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I finally found a pizza stone, a 9" one, and enough for my needs.

Now, what I need to know is the technique for layout the dough, flat vs thick, and with minimum amount of fuss while laying it on the stone, after all, my pizza guy does it in under two minutes for crying out loud.

So I have this mini refregerator, holds about a 6pk soda, doesn't get as cold as my kitchen one but its cold enough, and maybe just right for dough. So i'm thinking that if I pick up a dough on Thursdays and put into the mini, then by Friday evening after work, I have a not-so-cold dough, ready to lay out on the stone. Its my guess that when the dough stays out in room temporature, its easier to work with.

I was wondering for those who have experience with dough, please share your technique for laying out flat on a board or stone.

Thanks,

-vhelp 5208
    I first learned how to shape and bake a pizza by watching Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on Pizza. It may be available to view online from a legitimate source. I suggest you watch it, or another pizza making video before trying to bake a pizza.

First, you need to form the dough into a smooth ball, but there's a technique for doing it. (See the video.) The traditional method for shaping the dough for a pizza is to flatten it into a thick disk with the palm of your hand, then stretch it while it is draped over your knuckles.

One refinement I saw to make this easier for beginners involved flattening the ball of dough into a thick disk on a floured counter, then rolling the edges with a rolling pin, while leaving the center thicker. Then just strech out the center using your knuckles. The dough goes on a floured cookie sheet that has one end without a rim, or better yet a floured pizza peel. Then slide it onto the hot stone inside the oven.

Alternately, get a pizza pan and put the dough on that and put the pan on the hot stone.

I don't use a stone at this point. I grease a cookie sheet with a little shortening and stretch the dough out very thin directly on that. Not the best method for a crisp or chewy crust, but I usually share my pizza with my denture-wearing father who greatly prefers the rather soft crust this produces.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, few weeks ago or so I got some 8" grills, and last week I made a semi-successful though warped shaped pie. It was too thick (because I couldn't figure out how to "thin" the crust) and eating into it nearly broke my tooth or two. But the pie tasted pretty good..getting closer to perfection.

Now comes the better part, I think..

I picked this up yesterday at K-Mart, on sale for $42.99, (54.99 reg) and by golly, its working!! its working!! hehe..

This time I spent a little time experimenting on thining the crust. I tried pinching the around the edges as I let the rest of the dough pull down on the table. I tried spinning, but the didn't work to well..need more practice at that. There seems to be a few tips about this machine, and once you know them, you are reach better results in the end, I think. Anyway.. one tip is the let set the unit to cook the bottom part first, for maybe 10 minutes or so, then switch to dual mode (has bottom and/or top only cooking, and dual, both) and it really does cook! Course, I'm making mine from scratch: dough, sauce and cheese, not the store ready-made.

Man, if this works out realy well, I may make a video (maybe youtube) and also recommend it for an x-mas gift!

-vhelp 5278

:P *~*!*~*!~* HaPpY HoLiDaYs *~*!*~*!~*
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I make my dough and sauce from scratch and plunk em into this oven on a rectangle cooking plate,after 12 minutes its ready,gotten lazy lately and havent made any pizzas.

I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LMAO @ posts...
    I had to go to Italy to get pizza once....and it was slop
    Quote Quote  
  28. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I make my dough with a bread maker, then roll it out on a piece of marble dusted with flour, then toss it into a 10" pizza pan dusted with cornmeal. I usually let it rise for twenty minutes or so in a slightly warm oven. Then heat the oven to 500F, and put it on a upper shelf, reducing temp to 400F. Then when about 2/3 the baking time has passed, I move it to a low shelf. That browns the bottom just a little so it's not soggy if reheated. It's the only way my oven works.

My favorite is a combination pepperoni/Hawaiian. But I like ground beef, bell peppers, olives and mushrooms once in a while. I've been experimenting with thin crust pizzas (Half the carbs) by just making half the dough. Works fairly well. I make my own sauce also.

I've thought about one of those pizza bakers, but I have more appliances than I need anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LMAO! No offense...but someone help me off the floor here

I can just see making a video of you guys with all of you in the kitchen at once...wearing your "kiss the cook" aprons...within a huge flour cloud...arguing and screaming at each other...then burning yourselves on the oven. Later, you're all on the couch together giggling and eating your creations and watching delays of "So you think you can dance", "American Idol", & "Dancing with the stars" on the Tivo.

This could be Hallmark channel material, guys...We're gonna be rich!

ROTFLMAO!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some of us are single and cook in self defense. Man cannot live on TV dinners alone. I also like barbecue as there is some danger involved.
    Quote Quote