VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On many occasions I right click a video file to change it's name. However, just below the Rename selection is the Delete selection. So, on occasion I have hit that button by mistake. I know you can go into the registry to add or delete some items but I assume delete and rename are fixed items. All I would like to do is move the delete selection to the bottom of the list. Is there a simple way to do that?

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really can't help you with how to reorganize item order in a drop-down menu, but as far as renaming goes, here is what I find to be my most optimal procedure. I set the double-click speed to its fastest position in the mouse control panel. Then it will take a very rapid double-click to open a file. But now putting the mouse pointer on the file name and doing a slow(er) double-click will give you the same result as the right-click_scroll-down_click procedure for renaming.
    As each individual persons manual dexterity differs, some may find an overly fast mouse double-click speed requirement to be undesirable.

EDIT: After rethinking this a bit, the mouse double click speed does not have to be at its fastest setting for this procedure. Basically, the setting relates to how fast or slow a double-click speed is necessary to rename the file vs. opening it. A little experimentation may be needed to find your best setting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just set folder options to single-click

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Safer way to rename a file is click once on the file to highlight it then click once on the text,then rename it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw

ocgw

peace
    The only single-click options I see in Folder Options are regarding opening the file. They would not allow editing the file name using only left clicks. All it allows is to open the file. Do you have any UI utilities that expand this option? I'm trying to help the OP avoid the right-click drop-down menu to edit its name.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Safer way to rename a file is click once on the file to highlight it then click once on the text,then rename it.
    I concur with you on this johns0. It's just that I've gotten lazy and impatient in my old age and a slightly less than rapid 2-click gets me there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimmyS

ocgw

peace
    The only single-click options I see in Folder Options are regarding opening the file. They would not allow editing the file name using only left clicks. All it allows is to open the file. Do you have any UI utilities that expand this option? I'm trying to help the OP avoid the right-click drop-down menu to edit its name.
    no one said it was left click only, but when you eliminate the need to double click whatsoever you can procede w/ slower more deliberate clicks avoiding errors

btw there is no getting around right clicking to drop down the menu, that is not his problem anyway, his problem is missing his target w/ his mouse cursor, he can either procede more slowly and deliberately or he can adjust how many pixels the mouse cursor effects

works for me

I did it in XP w/ Registry Robot

you can do it in Win 7 w/ Win 7 manager

ps. he can also change his mouse cursor to cross hairs in mouse properties if it will improve his aim

ps. johnsO suggestion is best I've heard if you like double-click enabled on your system, I have never had a reason to use double-click, if a program really needs or wants you to double click it will make you no matter what your settings are

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cal_tony
    On many occasions I right click a video file to change it's name. However, just below the Rename selection is the Delete selection.
    That is one of Microsoft's stupidest design decisions.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by cal_tony
    On many occasions I right click a video file to change it's name. However, just below the Rename selection is the Delete selection.

With that I would agree.

I was a little unclear about my problem to some extent.
    When I have a DVD folder on my hard disk and I want to change the name of folder (change the name of the movie)
    I right click the folder and the pop up occurs asking me what I want to do. In the changing of so many names , the proximity of the RENAME and DELETE (one above the other) in the popup options, it is just my inattention that is the problem. It is further compounded by the fact that my inattention might on occasion go far enough to delete a folder that is too large for the recycle bin and I actually delete it.

I've looked in the Micrsoft Knowledge base and found ways to delete some of the right click options but I have not found a way to move the delete option away from everything else. After years of living with this minor problem I thought I would look into moving it and so far, it appears to be unmovable. Even creating a separator around DELETE would be helpful enough.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try it on a network share. If you accidentally delete a file on another computer it doesn't go the the recycle bin. You have to use file recovery tools to restore the file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

With that I would agree.

I was a little unclear about my problem to some extent.
    When I have a DVD folder on my hard disk and I want to change the name of folder (change the name of the movie)
    I right click the folder and the pop up occurs asking me what I want to do. In the changing of so many names , the proximity of the RENAME and DELETE (one above the other) in the popup options, it is just my inattention that is the problem. It is further compounded by the fact that my inattention might on occasion go far enough to delete a folder that is too large for the recycle bin and I actually delete it.

I've looked in the Micrsoft Knowledge base and found ways to delete some of the right click options but I have not found a way to move the delete option away from everything else. After years of living with this minor problem I thought I would look into moving it and so far, it appears to be unmovable. Even creating a separator around DELETE would be helpful enough.

Tony
    Ooooohhh.....lol, right click on the recycle bin icon and get the pull down menu, at the bottom you will see recycle bin properties

change the recycle bin size to what ever you want. no more accidental permanent file deletion

bada boom, bada bing

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ocgw
    Ooooohhh.....lol, right click on the recycle bin icon and get the pull down menu, at the bottom you will see recycle bin properties

change the recycle bin size to what ever you want. no more accidental permanent file deletion
    Yeah, and then you have to put up with that annoying confirmation dialog every time you delete a file. Just to catch that one in a thousand times you delete one by accident.

I usually use the keyboard shortcut for this now (I'll be using the keyboard to type the new name anyway) -- hit the context menu key, then press M to rename. That worked until MediaInfo added another M to the context menu -- but only for media files. I was able to fix that by reinstalling MediaInfo without the context menu option.

I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't add "format drive with no confirmation dialog" right next to rename too!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

Yeah, and then you have to put up with that annoying confirmation dialog every time you delete a file. Just to catch that one in a thousand times you delete one by accident.

I usually use the keyboard shortcut for this now (I'll be using the keyboard to type the new name anyway) -- hit the context menu key, then press M to rename. That worked until MediaInfo added another M to the context menu -- but only for media files. I was able to fix that by reinstalling MediaInfo without the context menu option.

I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't add "format drive with no confirmation dialog" right next to rename too!
    ummm.......let's get 1 thing straight my friend, I don't put up w/ the confirmation dialog and I delete several blu ray files per day (20-45GB), I single click, and my mouse cursor movement is not slow, but controlled and deliberate

It is not unusual for me to move a TB in a day and I don't suffer from accidental deletion

I mig weld .030 (that's 30-thousandth's for non-journeyman skilled tradesmen), I have the hand-eye to click on the box I want

If you have problem clicking what you want maybe you need confirmation

"So shall it be written, So shall it be done"

"OZ has spoken"

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A different way, don't use the right-click, just select the file in Explorer and hit "F2" to rename.
    F1 is help, F3 is search, so no harm done if you miss that.

And a third way: select the item, then left-click in the name under the item.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    A different way, don't use the right-click, just select the file in Explorer and hit "F2" to rename.

Well, there you go.
    It's been so long ago since DOS that I have almost forgotten about the Function Keys. Except for F8, I haven't used a function key in years.

F2 will work fine for me and it's even easier to use.
    Thanks

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Good tip! Except for those annoying keyboards with alternate function keys (ie, an F-Lock which toggles the function keys to a second set of function). Fortunately, the one keyboard I have which has alternate functions has the alternate mapped to Undo and that doesn't cause problems if hit by accident.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK

And a third way: select the item, then left-click in the name under the item.
    nice info

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote