VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think i managed to rip the dat file using ISO buster. But i am not sure as i seems there are more dat file than it suppose to be. Then how do i burn dat file to a VCD ? Or is there any one step method where i can rip and burn a VCD ?
    Thanks for helping
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How do you know it's copy-protected and not just corrupted? (Of course, sometimes they're one and the same--corrupted BECAUSE they're copy-protected)

Does the original disc play in a settop player (many DVD players would play a non-protected VCD)?
    If so, are there multiple tracks/titles? Are there menu items? A yes to either one of these would mean that there SHOULD be muliptle DAT files.

Note: THere are NO good one-step methods. Do what you've been doing in ISOBuster.

You don't burn a DAT file back to a VCD. When you were in ISOBUster, your extraction should have been the option that removed the Mode2Form2 padding. The resulting file save to your Harddrive should have been a MPG file not a DAT. That MPG should be read to be authored in a good VCD authoring app like VCDEasy, and subsequently burned.

And I'm sure Baldrick and the Mods will mention it: Don't double post on purpose (I realize it could have been an accident).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c1steady
    I think i managed to rip the dat file using ISO buster. But i am not sure as i seems there are more dat file than it suppose to be. Then how do i burn dat file to a VCD ? Or is there any one step method where i can rip and burn a VCD ?
    Thanks for helping
    DAT files can be are larger than the "data" capacity of a CDR because they use a different file system, with less error checking, than data CDRs. So it's probably not copy protection.

If you just want to duplicate a VCD, though, many apps have a "dupe" option.
    Eg, CloneCD, Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only VCDs that are known to be copy protected are ones in India and maybe Pakistan and Bangladesh. Other countries that still use the format don't use copy protection. The Indian copy protection scheme uses bad sectors to prevent direct copying. We've had some posts in the past on ways to defeat that, but it was pretty complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c1steady
    Thanks for helping
    One tool that is a "must-have" is VCDEasy. It can convert .dat into regular .mpg, etc. And it will author a ready-to-burn VCD image from the .mpg. Then use your favorite burning tool to make the physical VCD. (VCDEasy does include an outdated burning engine, but many people have reported difficulty with it on modern machines.)

But like the others who have asked, I wonder how you have determined that this VCD is copy protected?
    Quote Quote