VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a french film but can't find english subtitles for it. I have portugese srt ok but was wondering if I can run it through a translator program to convert them to english or even a program that listens to the audio and translates but i guess that would be alot more effort to do. The film is called Elisa (1995) gerard depardieu and vanessa paradis. Maybe someone can find them but i looked in all the usual places.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A translation of that kind would have many problems, like syntax errors, wrong meaning, words non tranlsated, etc.

A practical way to translate your srt file, is to open it with notepad, copy the text and use Google Translator (or Babelfish, or whatever). Then, copy the results to a txt file and rename it to srt. It might work, it might not. SRTWiz may fix some of the issues that there gonna appear.

A program used for subtitle translation is Subtitle Processor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    A translation of that kind would have many problems, like syntax errors, wrong meaning, words non tranlsated, etc.

A practical way to translate your srt file, is to open it with notepad, copy the text and use Google Translator (or Babelfish, or whatever). Then, copy the results to a txt file and rename it to srt. It might work, it might not. SRTWiz may fix some of the issues that there gonna appear.

A program used for subtitle translation is Subtitle Processor.
    Cool, just getting subtitle processor now. I know what you mean about the syntax errors. If worse comes to worst I can watch the VHS I have and input it like that but thats an awful lot of work. Might be best in the long run though Tried a few online translations and some of them support 1000 words so will give them a go too but yep its gonna be alot of work cos they not so good at translating. thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Elisa is available for purchase at Amazon.co.uk. It's relatively cheap - just under 7 British pounds. It has English subtitles.

Translating subtitles sucks. I read and write Russian reasonably well and I have a Russian DVD that contains the first 2 movies of a 4 movie set. I ripped the Russian subtitles (which was a real nightmare to get that to work) and I used a program similar to Babelfish to translate them into English. I had no illusions that the automatic translation would be great, but I wanted to use it as a starting point. Then I compared the Russian original to the generated English and changed it as necessary. Unfortunately the movies were set in WW II and there were a lot of hard to translate (for me anyway) military terms in it. Plus, I did not want to watch the film prior to translating the subs, which led to some problems in that some phrases were simply too vague to translate accurately without watching the movie. I completed this process for the first film and watched it with my English subs. I'd say my subs were about 90% correct. They were close enough to understand the film. If I had used the generated subs only, I'd guess that they would drop to about 70% correct. It was so much work that I haven't yet had the inclination to do the 2nd film. If I ever care enough to finish it, I may just see if I can hire someone who is a native speaker to do it for me.

So in summary, if you can't find the subs anywhere, I'd really advise you to just buy it from Amazon.co.uk rather than do this work yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you're right. Just using Subtitle Workshop 4 here and have tried the automatic translation via google but its mostly gibberish. I might buy it again on dvd this time cheap enough and won't ruin the magic of the film by translating headaches!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, yes there is software Subtitle Workshop but there is also an online subtitle translator Subtitle Translator, it is automatic and using google to translate subtitles .
    Quote Quote