VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, thanks for looking at my post. I been looking at the gudies sections and I still do not see what would be the best all in one tool if there is one available to ripp my dvds to divx. Here is what I need:

* ripp the dvd
    * encode only the movie of a DVD with the best quality and the besst audio file possible
    * I would like the format to be widescreen but I do not want the movie to be half the size of my Plasma tv with big blk bars on top and bottom. I would like the movie to take much space as possible on my tv with smaller blk bars.
    *file size is not an issue, as long as it is much less than DVD size, an ideal size would be 700mb-1.5 gigs in size
    *I would also like it to be able to ripp tv episodes DVD by each episode without me having to manually cut the vob.
    *Batch processing
    *anything else you recommed I should have to build my media collection.

P.S I dont mind paying for a product but freeware is better.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. All in one programs usually do not do as good of a job as separate tools that are designed for certain things. I recommend different tools.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. There are very few reliable rippers. If you go with DVDFab then you have less options to do other things. Some people like Fab's transcoding. Personally, I think it is very poor. If you use AnyDVD in the background then you can read the disc with anything you like.

2. Encoding settings are up to you, however many all-in-one encoders remove most options for control. The point of using an all-in-one is not having to actually think for yourself.

3. Many movies are wider than 16:9, hence the bars. The only way to remove them is to either stretch and distort the image, or to crop off up to 25% of the image either side. Better to leave it, use the Zoom function on your TV or player, and have the original film ready for when you realise your folly.

4. Setting arbitray file sizes is a sure recipe for lower quality. Better quality will be obtained by using Constant Quality encoding, not encoding down to a file size.

Honestly, every all-in-one encoder is a series of compromises. I don't know of any that fit all your criteria, but all could be met if you using the right tools for each part of the job. However that will mean getting your hands dirty and learning stuff.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then may I suggest two of such compromises, since for some tasks these might be just acceptable: Handbrake, Xvid4PSP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elloco07
    *I would also like it to be able to ripp tv episodes DVD by each episode without me having to manually cut the vob.
    This doesn't always work. I've seen some really badly authored DVDs from TV episodes where you had no choice but to manually edit the rip to get it right. Just something to be aware of.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    For better quality I would copy/rip the main movie, and then encode it to DivX.
    Quote Quote