VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, have a question about DVDs.

I would like to author a DVD which features both clips and pictures.

Thing is that i want some of those being locked until a code is entered, is ther such a feature in any dvd program?

Would be very thankful for an answer!

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is possible to do what you suggest. We've had posts some years ago that went into a lot of detail on how to do this kind of thing. Maybe someone will post with some instructions. It's a very advanced topic and I don't know how to do it.

Do note that the requirement to enter the code can be bypassed by people who rip the DVD. They will either to be able to directly access the photos or videos after ripping or if they feel inclined to do the work, they could theoretically change the instructions that require the code to be entered and re-author a new version of the DVD that doesn't use any code to display the photos or clips.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your question is a waste of time and effort, because as jman98 explained it can be bypassed.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the answer!

Im not concerned of ripping as I will distribute it for personal use only, by me and friends.

Any clue what keywords to search for, Ive tried a lot but to no avail...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Grov

Thing is that i want some of those being locked until a code is entered, is ther such a feature in any dvd program?
    This can be done with dvdlabpro. I've never used it so I can't give advice on how to do it but I do know it is there. Download the trial version and give it a go.

Here is a guide from the mediachance website on how to do it.
    http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/keypad.html
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Grov
    Thanks for the answer!

Im not concerned of ripping as I will distribute it for personal use only, by me and friends.

Any clue what keywords to search for, Ive tried a lot but to no avail...
    If you are not concerned about ripping, then why do you want a code entered to access the content?
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It must be a novelty thing, having a cool looking keypad up on the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    It must be a novelty thing, having a cool looking keypad up on the screen.
    Yup. Im an roleplayer... I have a prepared campaign and handouts and stuff, now moving classic tabletop roleplaing into the digital age using a dvd seems just right.

I can load it up with monstrous amounts of information, that the players unlock after a completed session and can look at some artwork, maps, music and more at their own time at home. Total immersion..

I think its quite a cool idea if I manage to pull it off.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Good luck with that.
    Quote Quote