VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi sorry if this has been covered in a guide but I've been checking through swarms of them with no luck so far. I've got a fair proportion of my DVD collection archived as ISOs on my PC to save digging through discs but I now want to get rid of all the menus and such. No recoding or anything I just want to extract the main video stream (or streams if its a boxset) and then the best audio + english subs. All in one file (would it just be .mpeg? seeing as its mpeg2?). Hopefully this will mean i can fit more on one HDD seeing as i'm not a huge fan of all the pointless extras + trailers + piracy ads.

All the all-in-one solutions seem to insist on recoding to avi and i'm rather dumb at this kind of stuff.

Is there any software that can just extract what i want?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink. Open the ISO (File -> Open Disc Image), click on Re-Author, then just drag the Main Title across from the right-hand pane to the left hand pane. Check that the audio and subs you want are ticked, then click Backup to save your smaller version. You can output as an ISO or DVD Folder.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, i'd looked at DVDShrink before but for some reason never noticed the option to turn off compression. One thing does strike me as odd tho. Even turning off compression on everything - DVDShrink tells me it'll take up 7GB, and the ISO itself is 7.68GB. What happened to the rest? Surely it cant just be the overhead of having it stored as ISO?

EDIT: Oh and i still cant get it to just generate one file? - Maybe i'm just overly stupid.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're not entirely clear in your last post. :P

Are you saying a reauthored backup is 7GB, versus 7.68GB for the whole disc ISO image (source)? If so, then yeah, that's one reason for getting rid of menus and extras. You can typically gain even more by retaining only one audio track. No, it's not "overhead". Personally, I hate wading through menus and only keep them for episode discs.

When you hit "backup" you're prompted where to save it. If you look closely, you'll see you have the option of files or ISO image. If you save as ISO, you need to save to a different location from the source ISO, or rename it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote