VideoHelp Forum

Try DVD Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Is there away in Avidemux 2.5 to changed the Color Depth from 24bits to 12bits before I save the xvid avi?

Cheer
    PBoy
    Quote Quote  
  2. That's a rather vague question. What do you mean by 24 and 12 bits? 24 bit RGB to YV12? That will happen automatically when you encode with AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah that what I am talking about 24 bit RGB to YV12 after I done a test avi section I ran a tool called "Yet another avi info" and it says the color depth was 24bit see below

Video Stream
    Compression: XVID - XVID MPEG-4
    Avg. Bitrate: 999.40 kbit/s
    Resolution: 640x352
    Color Depth: 24 bits
    Running Time: 427.88 s (7m 7s)
    Framerate: 25.0000 fps
    Microseconds Per Frame: 40000 ms
    Frames: 10697
    Keyframes: 238 (Every 44)

Cheers
    PBoy
    Quote Quote  
  4. That tool is lying to you. Internally, the Xvid data is in YV12. What comes out depends on the decoder used and the program asking for the decoding. They will negotiate the best colorspace that the two of them are capable of.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it on another avi I download and it say that file was 12 bit ... bloody software.

Video Stream
    Compression: xvid - XVID MPEG-4
    Avg. Bitrate: 989.29 kbit/s
    Resolution: 624x352
    Color Depth: 12 bits
    Running Time: 2610.99 s (43m 30s)
    Framerate: 29.9699 fps
    Microseconds Per Frame: 33367 ms
    Frames: 78251
    Keyframes: 1651 (Every 47)

Cheers
    PBoy
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm not sure exactly where the program gets the color depth value it reports but it appears to be the color depth of the video before it was compressed with Xvid (or whatever codec is used). It is irrelevant as far as the internals of the Xvid data or the output of the Xvid decoder are concerned. Inside, the data is always YV12. Ie, if the Xvid codec is fed 24 bit RGB data it will first be converted to YV12, then compressed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks jagabo for confirming this as I thought it was something I was doing wrong when converting to xvid

Cheers
    PBoy
    Quote Quote