VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys,
    I have downloaded software updates with all my PCs for many years.

But with my new PC I see there are downloads for my ASUS P6T-Delux Motherboard. I have never downloaded Software Updates - drivers, Bios upgrades, etc, to a Motherboard.

I feel it is dangerous. If my PC is running smootly should I tamper with it? Will downloading to my Motheboard cause my PC to freezeup? or cause damage? Should I get an experienced Computer Technician to do this?

little orfa
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orfajackson
    Should I get an experienced Computer Technician to do this?

little orfa
    If you need to ask that question yes,even better get a friend who's a computer wiz to help you.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bios updates should only be done if the update fixes a specific problem you are having, dont just apply the update "for the hell of it". If anything goes wrong, there's a real risk that you could kill your motherboard.

If it isn't broke, dont fix it...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is rare for a motherboard update to fail, but if your motherboard does not have any sort of failsafe (likely on cheaper motherboards or prebuilt systems) it CAN render the system unusable if it fails.

If you are updating through windows you should close everything else.

If through a bootdisk, the only way that can possibly fail is if the power goes out while updating.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow mh2360's wise advice: If it's working fine, don't mess with it. The chances of causing a problem from updating are probably small, but they're zero if you don't update, so why do it? I don't see the payoff for doing the update, unless you are seeing a specific problem that is addressed by the update. And it doesn't sound as if this is the case. Updating "just because" is a common source of regret.
    Quote Quote