VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a problem with ffmpeg not being able to recognize some recent mkv files that I have tried to convert with ffmpeg. I've never had a problem with converting mkv's in the past. ffmpeg has always recognized the file type, video aspect ratio etc. but with these there is no information (ffmpeg just says it is an unrecognized format) and when I try to convert it I get a progress bar for about a minute and then it says it is "finished".

Is there a new plugin/codec that I need? I recently upgraded to OS 10.4.11 because I thought Perian might solve the problem-no such luck. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Oh, using a demo version of iSkysoft Video Converter it reports the following properties of the mkv file:

Format: H.264/AVC video
    resolution: 1270*720
    frame rate: 29.97
    Bit rate: 0 kbps

w/ AC3 audio, also 0 kbps at 48000 Hz
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess ffmpegx needs a newer version of ffmpeg to detect those then...I'm not sure if you can replace the ffmpeg in ffmpegx.

Or just try another app, like handbrake if you are converting to avi, mp4 or avidemux if you want to convert to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having the same problem. MKVtools also surprisingly does the same thing. I hate MKV files. I never have anything but problems with them.
    Quote Quote