VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright so rather than be cryptic about this im just going to come right out and say what it is that we're tryin gto do and HOPEFULLY i wont get in trouble.

I'm a michael jackson fan. theres a rare concert which we just got a video of. the video is old. the audio is crap. but there is an audio cd from the same show taken from the soundboard which is pristine.

what i want to do is resync the audio from the cd to the video (and perhaps if at all possible convert the video to ntsc so I can actually burn it to a DVD player of my own).

thing is I have no idea how to go about doing it. would i just convert the VOB files that I have (someone else did the transfer from old VHS to DVD) to quicktime files, bring those into final cut, and add the audio? will it be that easy? will I be in for a "world of hurt"? thanks very much in advance...

and if the fact that its a rare mj concert bothers you, pretend its a dance show by a bunch of highschoolers.
    :: ehmjay.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nobody?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, here's one possible general workflow that you could follow, assuming that you start and end with DVD-compliant video:

1) Demux the original vid. This operation yields separate audio and video streams.
    2) Encode the good audio in a DVD-compliant form. MP2 is ok, even though it is not strictly compliant in the US. It is compliant elsewhere, so most modern DVD players support MP2 audio.
    3) Remux the good audio with the original video.
    4) Check for proper sync. You will probably find problems here, with some combination of fixed offset, steady drift, and perhaps sudden jumps. If so, carefully note them quantitatively, and use an audio editing/processing tool to fix those up. Audacity is free and works well, although if your audio sync problems are complex and numerous, they will be labor-intensive to fix.
    5) Once all is well, reauthor your muxed stream and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm yeah i could try that. probably makes more sense to tweak the audio rather than the video...
    Quote Quote