VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a spare WD Scorpio 250gig here.....building a new system. I would like to keep the sata hard drives for video editing. Am I losing much performance having the system on a laptop hard drive? I think this is 5400 rpm. Only the system would be on the 2.5" drive.

-RS
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well you'll be giving up some performance and you will need the kit that has the mounting and ide conversion for 2.5" to 3.5".

Laptop drives are designed for low power consumption and low heat output not performance. Having said that it will slow down boot times and program load times somewhat. No sure how much. It will also slow swap file performance so plenty of memory will help with that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well....I have 4 gig here, so that should be ok....I am curious as to what type of hit I would take in performance. I guess it would be quieter and cooler...My laptop boots pretty quick....good experiment. I have the kit sitting here as well.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I seriously considered doing this, but probably won't. Noise / heat / energy draw would have been the major improvements, but if it's a tower system we're talking about, those would not be such major factors. (And I might still decide to go with 10K rpm drives.)

Not that you want to buy or change to another laptop HDD, but there are 7200s that could resolve much of the speed issue . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote