VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My problem is that I have a widescreen source dvd that I'm trying to convert into AVI but whenever I load the VOB files into DGindex it loads them and then previews them as 4:3 and when I save the project its still 4:3 even though the source files are widescreen and when I check them before I use DGindex they show up as widescreen could somebody please help me
    Quote Quote  
  2. DgIndex displays the video with square pixels so you exactly what each pixel of the source looks like, not a distorted version after correcting for the final display aspect ratio. For a PAL DVD that would be 720x576 (5:4, not 4:3 oar 16:9). Just tell your encoder the proper aspect ratio of the source before encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Mick1155
    My problem is that I have a widescreen source dvd that I'm trying to convert into AVI but whenever I load the VOB files into DGindex it loads them and then previews them as 4:3 and when I save the project its still 4:3 even though the source files are widescreen and when I check them before I use DGindex they show up as widescreen could somebody please help me
    I don't understand the problem. There are 2 DARs, 4:3 and 16:9. Widescreen means nothing really, as it can be either 4:3 or 16:9. The DAR is given in the DGIndex Information screen and in the D2V Project File itself, and it tells you how the video is to be resized at playback time.

And, as jagabo says, DGIndex shows you the stored DVD resolution (720x576 in your case I guess), and not the resized video like you see when it's played in a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm I guess I didn't explain it that well the source is 16:9 and when I play it in a player or on my computer it outputs as widescreen 16:9 but when I ad the vob's to DGindex it lists it as 16:9 but the actual video that is shown is only coming up as 4:3 I'll post a screenshot to show what I mean http://i86.servimg.com/u/f86/11/76/61/84/7-1-2010.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. The issue is exactly as I explained it. If you look closely at your sample image you will see the image inside the DgIndex window is 720x576 -- 5:4, not 4:3. It is showing you, pixel for pixel, exactly the contents of the VOB file (ie, each pixel of the MPEG file is mapped to one pixel on your display). It does not correct for the intended display aspect ratio (16:9 in this case) because this would introduce distortions. This is entirely intentional on the part of DgIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As it says clearly at the top of your pic from DGIndex, it's not 4:3 but 5:4 (1.25:1). 720/576=1.25. Again, as both of us have said already, that's how it's stored on the DVD before being resized at playback. If you're making an AVI, then before encoding it you'll resize to some 1.78:1 resolution, such as 624x352 perhaps, after cropping away the black bars. If reencoding it for DVD, just make sure you set the encoder for 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh ok thank you it makes sense now lol sorry for the inconvenience I feel like an idiot ha...
    Quote Quote