VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heys guys!

I had a friend ask me to have a look at his laptop (vista) because it was running slow and he wanted Flight Sim X installed on it. Also he wanted me to check for viruses, spyware etc!

So the 1st thing I noticed was that no Windows Updates have been downloaded/installed since December 08, so while the updates were downloading I started trying to clear some things up, I used the disk clean up 1st and found that he had over 10gb of files that could be cleaned up, I then updated AVG Free and also installed Hijackthis, Spybot and Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Hijackthis did not pick up any nasty files etc, spybot found a few which were cleaned up and Malwarebytes found nothing.

So when I come to install the Updates it keeps failing giving the message:

Errors Found:

Code 8E5E0152
    Code 8E5E0147

When clicking on the 'get help with this error' no information is given, so have tried resetting, disabling all programs etc but still no joy!

Is there anything you guys could recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/77cec30e-a3a5-4d16-817c-6c09799ceab1 It sounds like you may need to do a similar operation.

MS's 'get help' has never seemed to work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do Google search and Microsoft search for the error codes and the error messages too if any error messages are given.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows directory > windowsupdat.log > post info found in log
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Take a look here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/77cec30e-a3a5-4d16-817c-6c09799ceab1 It sounds like you may need to do a similar operation.

MS's 'get help' has never seemed to work.
    That is good advice redwudz, but if the updates are downloading but not installing you don't have to reregister all of MS Update, probably wouldn't hurt anything, but may be more work than necessary, & I usually lean on the side of only doing what is necessary in the registery

These usually do the trick

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

fix any issues, then validate it.

If it still doesn't work try this

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
    Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One little program that has helped me when I've had trouble with windows update is dial-a-fix
    http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

I first found out about here at videohelp
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352274.html

edit
    not sure if it will work in vista or not. The wiki does not list vista as supported since this tool was written before vista was released. Might be worth a try though.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uh-oh! I went onto the MS genuine site and validated windows and after the system started to install updates, I noticed that it was installing Vista service pack 1, so I let it carry on it then said the system needed to restart, while its was shutting down the system was configuring the updates and I noticed it came up with something along the lines of 'problem installing updates, reverting changes, will try again after start up'.

So the system shut down, now when I turn it on I keep getting a Acer background with a 'start up repair screen' saying that windows cannot repair this computer automatically!

Has something gone seriously wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, it certainly has.

At this point, stop, take a deep breath and find out if there are any important files on this PC. Use a boot disk and copy those files off of the PC. Then find out if any additional software has been installed.

If restoring the above is not too painful, I would use the original install disks, wipe it clean, and start all over. Do the updates before installing anything else after the OS. Take the time and do some thorough testing of the hard drive.

If the file and program restore is unfeasible, then use the original Vista disk and do a repair install. As above, test the hard drive.

The lesson here would be to take some more time concentrating on the original problem. The problem was not that you needed to Update, the problem was that previous updates had failed. WHY? It was running a bit slow? When?, doing what types of operations?

My policy on Windows updates is to WAIT for the full service pack, and WAIT until it's been out for a while, and WAIT for any info from the unit manufacturer, and then decide it may very well do more harm than good. And under no circumstances install them on a PC with any sort of pre-existing problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This type problem is why I make images of my system periodically. There have been a number of similar problems over the years, and using a boot CD to restore recent image fixed the problem each time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My friends computer would not install updates as the version that was installed was a pre launch version, in trying to validate it with microsft it said that as a pre launch version it did not qualify for updates.

He went back to the shop he bought it from and the guy reinstalled vista with a "proper" licence.

Do not know if this is a relevant point to you problem though.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm now seem to have come across another problem! My friend has no disks that came with the laptop!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Probably has a hidden image on the hard drive that is accessible by pressing one of the function keys at boot up.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right guys bit of an update!

I managed to get my hands on a copy of HDClone, I burnt the iso onto a CDR and used it in the laptop as a boot disk, the laptop started up and loaded HDClone, I set it all up to copy the hard disk to my USB WD Passport HD, now this process took over 1.5hrs. It completed with no problems!

Now when I look through the WD HD all the files appear to be present, I can open up word documents, pictures, MP3's, Videos etc.

So it appears that the drive has been copied with no problems (touch wood), is there anything else you guys would recommend that I should do before I try to re-install Vista?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Find out what software programs were installed. These can NOT be simply cloned or copied back over from the backup, they MUST be re-installed from the original disk or source. A large part of this will be crap the user does not need or care about, but there may well be some programs that are absolutely necessary. If the re-install disks are not available, you still got a problem.

If the drive has a complete re-install image or program on a partition, that should get you eveything it came out of the original box with. It does NOT mean it will replace everything installed on the PC when you got it.

Check and make sure the Vista validation code number is present on the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand all of that Nelson, but I seem to be having a problem using the recovery disk, I have been following this site as a bit of a guide http://www.vistax64.com/vista-performance-maintenance/161685-windows-cannot-repair-com...ally-help.html

I downloaded the Vista recovery disk form the site listed and burnt the ISO to CDR using PowerISO, now when I place the disk in the busted laptop nothing happens, it switches on the CD drive make the usual whirring but the screen remains black.
    Quote Quote  
  16. OK, first, that is NOT a "recovery disk", it is a Linux boot CD. Test it in another PC, but this won't really solve your problem. We know the CD drive works because it booted the HDClone disk.

A "recovery disk" or more precisely "system recovery disk" comes from the system manufacturer. Loads all drivers and pre-installed software, including the OS. Makes the PC just like it came from the factory box. You should have this on a physical disk or as one of the options presented at power-up, something like "F12 for system recovery or Diagnostics".

Now the other option is to re-install Vista from a CD, use the number on the sticker to validate, re-install drivers, then applications, then copy the data from the backup. This will avoid all the pre-installed crapware, but will involve more work in downloading all the necessary drivers. IMO this is the preferred way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson further down the page on the link given was another link to here http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ this is the disk I am trying to boot from. The reason for this is when the laptop was bought no disks came with it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried using the downloaded boot cd in a sysyem that work and it did nothing! Is there anything else i could try?
    Quote Quote  
  19. try redownloading it again and then burning the iso with imgburn. possibly a bad file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    minidv2dvd imgburn appeared to do the trick! Only problem is I still cannot get the laptop to work! I tried booting from the disk and using the system restore and windows complete restore but to no joy as no restore points were made nor was a back up.

I also used the memory tool to scan hardware memory etc but still no joy.

Also tried to install new copy of windows but i think the recovery disk i d/l does not have the suitable files!

I am slowly running out of options, do you guys have any other ideas please?
    Quote Quote  
  21. you are most likely going to have to buy the manufacturers vista restore disc. unless it's a dell? they have a hidden restore partition.
    Quote Quote  
  22. You need a Vista install disk, not some downloaded tool, and you need the Authorization code, which should be on the PC. Any Vista disk of the same version will work, but you must have that code number.

It's a little over $100.00 to purchase the items you will need if they are not with the PC. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

"Do you have the original install disks?" is a very important question that needs to be asked when dealing with someone else's hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to find a vista disk but had no luck and my friends is not that keen on buying one, but then I had a brainwave (it hurt like hell), how easy would it be to install XP on the system? And I am right in saying that the serial on the laptop will not work for XP?
    Quote Quote  
  24. I was told by MS Licensing that a Vista code will indeed work for XP, though this was in the early release days and I've only done it once. Hopefully, there is no hardware on the PC with Vista-only drivers available.

What you should be concentrating on is putting the machine back the way you found it. The only way to do that is to obtain a copy of a Vista install disk. There are ways to obtain such a disk at little to no cost, and as long as the PC with Vista installed on it has a valid Vista license number, how the install files were obtained is not a factor.

It is very, very important to understand that even after all that has been done, nothing whatsoever has been accomplished to identify and resolve the original problem. Much spinning of wheels has been wasting time and effort just to get back to square one.
    Quote Quote