VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some WMV files that contain an audio track few seconds longer than a video track (this information is retrieved from MediaInfo). These videos play correctly, for example, in Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic (audio and video are in sync). However, the problem is now the following: when I try to convert these WMV files to MP4 the audio and video became out of sync. In these converted MP4s the audio and video are in sync in the beginning, but when the video is near the end then the audio and video are out of sync by (those) few seconds (which is the difference between the audio and video lengths). So, the audio and video became increasingly more and more out of sync towards the end of the file.

I have tried numerous programs such as MediaCoder, Super, Handbrake etc. All of them produces the same problem. I have also tried to solve the problem by varying the framerate of the video track, but that seems not to give any help. So, I think that the problem is the difference between the lengths of the audio and video tracks. Any ideas, how to solve this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried windows movie maker ? and reconvert the wmv to dv-avi or a new wmv that might work better to reconvert to mp4.

Or cut the audio so it's the same length as the video, use for example goldwave or audacity(with ffmpeg) and open the wmv, cut the audio save as new wav, multiplex it back to the wmv with WMVMuxer or Windows Media Stream Editor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Have you tried windows movie maker ? and reconvert the wmv to dv-avi or a new wmv that might work better to reconvert to mp4.

Or cut the audio so it's the same length as the video, use for example goldwave or audacity(with ffmpeg) and open the wmv, cut the audio save as new wav, multiplex it back to the wmv with WMVMuxer or Windows Media Stream Editor.
    I experimented a little bit with the advices you gave. However, I was not able to correct the sync problem of audio and video. However, I came up with another choice. Namely, I used Windows Media Encoder to convert the WMV videos to another WMV video with a lower resolution (320x180). These WMV videos are in sync and play in my Nokia 5800 Express Music mobile phone.

So, the main goal I had with these conversions was to get the WMV videos to a format which would be playable in my new mobile phone. I am quite satisfied with the solution I came up; namely, to convert the WMV files to WMV videos with smaller resolution. The MP4 format would have been a little bit nicer since the phone would have been able to play MP4 videos of resolution 640x360. (The maximum resolution for WMV files is 320x180 at least I think so.) The native resolution of the LCD screen of the phone is 640x360. So, the MP4 format would have provided a better picture quality, but the lower resolution is quite fine for me (and it is simple for me to convert videos to this format).
    Quote Quote