VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What hardware and software I have to work with are as fallows :
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and the Logitech Z-5300 speakers. Properly calibrated
    GoldWave, and some micellanious free programs.

Here is the thing, I have a video with some interesting audio. It has a few spots where it's loud/normal, and the rest is extremely quiet. I want the quiet parts to be louder, obviously, but the loud parts are a legitimate part of the sound. The other thing I want is for it to be seamless.
    Manually lowering the parts will take a good week, at least because there are spikes throughout. Using GoldWave's auto features causes a lot of things to sound muffled and/or obviously edited.

The audio is encoded with WMA , mono. I plan on re-encoding it with a larger bit rate to help keep the loss to a minimal. I know there will be loss no matter what.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use the freeware Audacity most times for normalizing. Not sure if it handles WMA audio, but check the new versions. It handles quite a few formats. Audacity's normalizing doesn't seem to cause problems in my uses. Of course if your file is really messed up, it's a bit hard to restore it to 'normal'

With audio, re-encoding doesn't have as many negative consequences as video. I rarely notice any difference unless I really mangle the file with excessive filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the latest Audacity version 1.3.7 beta imports/exports WMA audio with ffmpeg.
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably should have mentioned that I am going to be using a wave export.
    It just makes things easy with applications in Windows.

Anyway, that doesn't work. I get the same issues.
    These pictures are from GoldWave. From top to bottom, they are the sound file as a whole, a loud part, and most of the rest of the file. This is the original audio, before doing anything other then working with it as a wave.

joined.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normalizing just raises the highest peaks of your entire audio to maximum decibels without clipping - it doesn't "equalize" the volumes across the entire wav. So "softs" are still soft and "louds" are still loud. It's just all shifted up higher, as high it can go without the highest/loudest bits clipping.

What you want is compression.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, trying that doesn't do much. At best I get a .5 db change.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In goldwave did you try effect/compressor/expander/boost quiet parts?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but again it becomes muffled. No clue as to why, as I am not changing anything else, and if boosted manually there is no issue.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tweak your compression settings. Use a higher ratio, like 4:1 or up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can use VST plugins this site lists quite a few free programs

http://vstplanet.com/Effects/Bundle2.htm
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Everyone. I used Goldwave to edit it in the end, but it's a lot better.
    I had to use a ratio boosting the quiet sound by 300%, run the reduce peaks, and finally normalise it again.
    Nothing got muffles, loud parts are still loud, and the low parts are at a good volume range with clarity.

I know enough about audio editing to do some things in Goldwave, but this was annoying as it was from a professional source. Just horrible mixing IMO to let this go by. I do some very basic VHS to DVD conversion of home movies, and I spent a good 7 hours on one audio clip for it to be equaled out, no background noise, and keeping the clarity. I would think that would be minimal for any company.
    Quote Quote