VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I seem to have an issue with my DVD recorder and wondered if anyone could possibly help or has come across this issue before.

Basically I bought the HXD890 in February this year after the DVD drive packed up on my 2 year old Philips 3570h. Since day one Ive always used Verbatim DVD+RW and Tevion DVD-RW discs. About a week ago I go to do a HDD to DVD transfer and get the message : Cannot Format ("FAILED" appears on front display). This is using the same discs Ive always used, both +&- RW's. I open a new tub of the same RW discs, which results in the same "Cannot Format / FAILED" message.

What is strange is that it still records to (burn once) DVD-Rs without problem.

To try and solve the RW problem I did a Factory reset of the machine which did absolutely nothing to fix said RW problem.

Im really starting to lose faith in "todays manufacturing standards". Philips machines I had three in 3 yrs, two replaced under warranty. Put me off Philips for life. And now only 4 months since buying the Sony and already its acting up.

Any advice would be welcoming.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has the DVD drive been making an unusual moaning noise? That could indicate a dirty spindle that causes the disk to slip while spinning, making it harder to format. If that's not happening then check to see if there is a firmware update. The only other correctable thing that I can think of that might cause the problem you have is a dirty laser lens.

Other than that, the only explanation is the same one you came up with -- the build quality on some of today's models is just not as good as earlier DVD recorders. Based on some comments I have seen here at VideoHelp, Sony DVD recorders do not have a lot of fans among the membership of the site.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your time.

Theres no unusual noises and unfortunately no FW updates either.

Went out and bought 3 different makes of branded DVD -RW discs today, all failed format.

Ive had it, machine is going back for replacement or repair...
    Quote Quote  
  4. The current Sony x90 models are a variation on Pioneer dvd recorders: Sony and Pioneer collaborated on much of the engineering (or did, until Pioneer tanked a couple months ago). Similar Pioneer and Sony machines with HDD sold in Canada the last couple years have significant performance variations and different reliability rankings, with Pioneer taking a dramatic lead over Sony. The Pioneers use more sophisticated circuits and a better-grade burner, they are the "Audi" to Sonys "Volkswagen". If you return your Sony 890, see if you can find a good closeout price on one of the final Pioneer LX or 560 models with the tuner specification you need (DVB-T, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  5. My Sony RDR-HX710 got the identical problem. I had been using Sony DVD-RW without any problems till it could no longer format any disk from the remainder of my last stack, nor any disk from a brandnew stack of Emtec DVD-RW. It still formats and writes DVD-R without a glitch.
    Upon inserting a DVD-RW, the recorder mentions this sequence of messages on the TV screen [here translated from the set-up language]|on its own display [invariably in English]:
    1. Loading. Please wait...|LOAD 2. Formatting. Please wait...|FORMAT 3. The disk is dirty.|extremely briefly C 1300 and then DISC ERROR 4. This disk cannot be played|DISC ERROR 5. Cannot format.|FORMAT FAIL
    Of course, none of the disks were dirty: all fresh from the spindle. Using a cleaning disk (that simply brushes the laser lens) did not help, neither did a cold reboot (unplug/plug-in the AC mains). The error occurs regardless whether Set-up Option 'DVD-RW formatting' is set to create a VR mode disk or a Video mode disk. My recorder is several years old and out of warranty... HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had a similar problem with my old Sony RDR-HXD870 after buying a set of new Imation DVD-RWs.

To resolve this issue, you can try:
    - switching to Verbatim DVD+RW disks (Sony only appears to recognise certain brands of DVD+-RW disks)
    - playing a CD cleaner in the DVD recorder

This combination worked for me, and I am now able to format DVD+RW disks without any problems.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ar316 View Post
    I had a similar problem with my old Sony RDR-HXD870 after buying a set of new Imation DVD-RWs.

- switching to Verbatim DVD+RW disks (Sony only appears to recognise certain brands of DVD+-RW disks)

This combination worked for me, and I am now able to format DVD+RW disks without any problems.
    Hope this helps.
    First post, eh? So, you joined here just to grave-rob a thread from 2009? After almost 5 years, the OP probably doesn't even have that DVD recorder anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had this problem a few days ago (i.e. current problem) and couldn't find any solutions. Having resolved it for myself, I thought I'd share it in case anyone else with an older device (not just the original person) encountered a similar problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I had a similar problem with my old Sony RDR-HXD870 after buying a set of new Imation DVD-RWs.

Hope this helps.
    First post, eh? So, you joined here just to grave-rob a thread from 2009? After almost 5 years, the OP probably doesn't even have that DVD recorder anymore.
    LOL i think the moldy dvd guy has put you on edge, now you get the slighest smell of troll and you go postal
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this problem a few days ago (i.e. current problem) and couldn't find any solutions. Having resolved it for myself, I thought I'd share it in case anyone else with an older device (not just the original person) encountered a similar problem.
    The OP started off by saying he was using Verbatim media, I mentioned the possibility of a dirty laser lens, and someone else in 2009 had already mentioned using a CD-DVD cleaning disc to try to solve his problem. So, as is the case with most grave-robbers, you are not presenting any new information. Oh, and by the way, it is unusual for DVD recorders to be completely functional after more than 5 years. Yours is on borrowed time. One of the first signs that the drive is failing is that it starts having trouble with some type of DVD media that it formerly had no trouble with.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jan 2014 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everybody group hug
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoChunkster View Post
    Everybody group hug
    Stuff your idiotic cheerfulness up your arse.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, good another troll, this time a part-time Australian one. Sober up and your impulse to troll may disappear.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2014 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Sony DVD recorder with a Hard Drive and it's giving problems with the 'cannot format' message. What worked for me was putting another blank DVD-R in (try a few if you get the problem repeatedly) until one works. Then the original dvd I tried worked.
    Quote Quote