VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello, i got problem in resizing a file, the original is an 1920x800 mkv, and i want to resize it to 1280x533 (without losing the quality for anything else); for this i tried using avidemux 2.4 Qt4, setting the audio and video to 'copy' and format "mkv",
    then rezising it in video/filter. but when it comes to save the file it returns an 'succesfully saved' message instantly, but it doesnt save anything at all

i tried then, by setting all to 'copy' but format to 'avi', and when saving the file, typing the '.mkv' extension to the file.
    when i do this the file does writes and save it succesfully, taking a while, but when i open the resulting .mkv on VLC it gives me an error message about corrupted avi, and though it plays it for a while it crashes eventually, or whenever y skip, or forward or anything; in divx it doesn't even open, though its not necesary that it does, but i would love it to do so, however ill be happy just by running it fine on VLC

so what am i getting wrong? or could you recommend me a better way or software to do so?

thanks a lot!

here are the spect for the file:

Video Track #1:
    FOURCC: "H264" (H.264)
    1920x800

Audio Track #1:
    FormatTag : "8193" (DTS Audio)
    6 channels, 48000Hz
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can't resize without re-encoding.

change the video from "copy" to mpeg-4 x264 and then set the resize filter. but not to 533, no odd numbers allowed, choose something divisible by 16 for the best result.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks a lot, thats exactly what i needed! ;
    the output came with desynced (sp?) audio,
    so i appended the resized video and the original audio with mkvmerge GUI
    (just in case someone else is trying to accomplish the same)

i consider myself satisfied with the result and answer,
    though the file passed from being 12.5GB to 3.20GB,
    is there an easy way to increase the output quality thereof size, to around 6GB,
    following the same avidemux procedure, i mean, by changing the enconding parameters?
    something quick and easy, im a total noob in this video editing

anyway thanks a lot!, you guys rock
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're using bitrate based encoding: file size = bitrate * running time

If you're using quality based encoding just ask for a higher quality level (or lower quantizer). I suspect you used x264 in AviDemux. The default is CRF encoding with a quantizer of 26. Try a quantizer of 22 or 18. Many people consider the latter to visibly nearly identical to the source. It might turn out bigger than you want though.
    Quote Quote