VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my subtitles are off maybe by a few seconds or so. how can i go about getting it in sync. i have an .srt file and a .avi file i want my final product to be .avi so i can stream it through my xbox. can anyone help me? thanks (=
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Easily done with Subtitle Workshop.

It has a comprehensive manual and help file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Easy subtitles Synchronizer (ESS). Is more easier for a beginner than other tools.

Download Easy subtitles Synchronizer from here: http://easysubs.no-ip.info/ess

Good Practices using Easy subtitles Synchronizer
    For subtitles that do not require synchronization, load the file to ESS, repair them
    (see Synchronization tools, repair) and finally save with a proper filename and encoding
    type.
    For subtitles that require synchronization, load the file to ESS, and try to
    synchronize them using “Adjust” tool. If the tool ‘Adjust’ fail to synchronize, try the
    “Manual Synch” tool. Finally repair them and save with a proper filename and encoding
    type.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey thanks you guys ill give that a try!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope someone can help me out here...i have used multiple subtitle programs including ess, subtitle workshop and subsyn plus a few extra i cannot get my subtitles to sync the first and last subtitles are perfect then everything else in between gets messed up ive tried using multiple points for subtitles for example in workshop it says to pick 4 so by default u cant change the first 1 then i pick 2 other random ones and i make the last one the last spoken subtitle and ive tried even doing 3 random lines other plus the 1st and nothing is getting them to sync

again first and last spoken are perfect...im going crazy over here any other suggestions or tweaks im not using?? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Get some better subs they are free on the net subscene.com opensubs.org

Sometimes you have PAL subs for a NTSC film & you can't change the timing of them but must change them to the right format.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you have different version of the film and the sub (for instance original film but subs for director's cut or extended version or similar). Try to find another version of the subs.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Sometimes you have PAL subs for a NTSC film & you can't change the timing of them but must change them to the right format.
    That statement makes no sense.

On second thoughts - I see what you mean but I can't see how it is applicable for the OP's problem.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ill try to look for some but its for an anime thats i think bootleg(maybe) and its 26 episodes on 3 discs so i dont know if i can find any to match the timing and length of these specifics disc. the subtitles are perfect in the vob files and when i watch the film. i dont understand how they can get so out of wack?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a way to combine 2 subtitle files? in this anime it has 2 sets of subs the 2nd is the song for the intro and the end of the series im thinking maybe because the 1st one doesnt load it thats why the time is so off?? i dont know just checking..
    Quote Quote  
  11. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlos28355
    ill try to look for some but its for an anime thats i think bootleg(maybe) and its 26 episodes on 3 discs so i dont know if i can find any to match the timing and length of these specifics disc. the subtitles are perfect in the vob files and when i watch the film. i dont understand how they can get so out of wack?
    Perhaps you could describe your workflow - what programs have you used and what did you do with them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ive used dvd decrypter dvdshrink anydvd dvdfab to rip to comp they all rip good and to convert i usually use autogk ive tried a couple other programs but forgive me i cant think of their names and they all rip the subs out of sync but again in vob form its perfect sync
    Quote Quote  
  13. You're hardcoding (burning) the subs into the video? If so, take the SRT and adjust the delay to bring it back in synch. You can adjust the synch in the Synchronization Tab of SubtitleCreator. AlanHK mentioned earlier that you can do it using Subtitle Workshop. Have you even tried yet? Then use that 'fixed' SRT file in AutoGK by adding it in separately using the CTRL-F8 trick.

If you're keeping the SRT separate, just adjust the delay.

Your problem has nothing to do with there being 2 sets of subtitles. It's more likely due to a decrypting problem. But you didn't explain how you got the SRT either. It's not on the DVD as SRT. Why are you using an SRT anyway, rather than the DVD subtitles? Or was the SRT for the first part of this thread and now you're using IDX/SUB files direct from the DVD?
    again first and last spoken are perfect...im going crazy over here any other suggestions or tweaks im not using?
    That was after you started fooling around with it? Or before?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so heres what im doing im taking my dvd collection and putting them on to the computer with hardcoded subs so i can stream them to my xbox 360 and get rid of the physical dvd..

this process has worked fine with over 150 of my dvds its just some anime i am having problems with so normally i would rip the dvd to hdd then use autogk and select the audio i wanted then select the subtitles i wanted and normally worked fine...

i did this with a couple anime that i have and got same problem on both when i used autogk to encode to avi with hardcoded subs they were out of sync so i used subrip and got the subtitles into .srt format and then used autogk and added the .srt format then i realized timing still off so i used mostly subtitle workshop and a few extras to try and get the timing back into sync i used the feature where u pick the first spoken word and the last spoken and it should adjust the time in between. now although it did adjust them all they are still not in sync. so i did the feature to pick 4 different points through out the movie to help with the syncing issue and this did not work either i have the first word and the last word dead on almost perfect i would say but then everything in between is not lining up like it should. i tried to use several differnt programs some not as user friendly so i wasnt able to do all to much with them since i dont know really what im doing.

Why are you using an SRT anyway, rather than the DVD subtitles?
    how do i use the dvd subtitles? if you think using them would solve my problem i am all for trying them out..i just dont know how to use those? thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  15. You said originally they're out of synch. Does that mean a constant asynch - off by the same amount all the way through? If so, all you have to do is set a delay and you don't have to mess around with that first line/last line stuff. Just set a delay and test it out before running it through AutoGK again. And you don't have to OCR to SRT. You can use the VobSubs. AutoGK created them for you already. They'll be in IDX/SUB format. Or you can get them yourself easily by using VobSub Configure. It comes as part of the VobSub package.

Also, when you used DVD Decrypter I assume you used it in File Mode and put the whole DVD on the hard drive. Bad move. Use it in IFO Mode and decrypt each episode (or just the movie, if it's a movie) to its own folder. You don't want or need the entire DVD and decrypting the entire DVD often leads to serious problems. Then try again.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they arent out of sync until i use autogk and im assuming when i use autogk and select which subtitles i want doesnt it use the idx/sub files? and in anycase are they the files that get created in the agk_tmp folder? if so how can i hardcode them into the avi? im not sure if its off by the same out through out i will have to try and test it and see if thats the case and ill let u know and when i used dvd decrypter i was using ifo mode its a series but its all listed as one large file
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i am going to try and add the .sub file to the .avi using virtualdubmod from the guide on here...hope it works..does it matter which one i load idx or sub or will they be identical?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by carlos28355
    they arent out of sync until i use autogk and im assuming when i use autogk and select which subtitles i want doesnt it use the idx/sub files?
    Yes. Those are the ones I'm suggesting you adjust the delay to put them back into synch.
    ...and in anycase are they the files that get created in the agk_tmp folder?
    Yes, you don't have to recreate them, as you already have them from your previous attempt(s).
    if so how can i hardcode them into the avi?
    How were you planning to hardcode the SRT subs into the AVI? I was assuming you already knew how to add separate subtitles to be hardcoded - by using the CTRL-F8 trick. Here's a guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic316471.html
    when i used dvd decrypter i was using ifo mode its a series but its all listed as one large file
    OK, that's good, although I'm unclear whether you have the episodes in separate titles within the same VTS, or as a single title within the same VTS. From the sound of it though, they're separate titles.
    so i am going to try and add the .sub file to the .avi using virtualdubmod from the guide on here
    What makes you think they'll be in synch? Or have you already adjusted the delay? If they're not in synch after coming out of AutoGK, they won't be in synch if you do it manually, unless you also adjust the delay/timings.

And if this is an AVI you made from the DVD that you're reencoding just to add the subs, that's a pretty bad idea. Much better is to make the AVI only once.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok ill use autogk to put the subs in. i know how to do that. and it makes sense to do it all on one step than to create an .avi then add the subs later im having a problem being able to edit the idx/sub files i get an error when i open in subtitle workshop and also ess??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlos28355
    being able to edit the idx/sub files i get an error when i open in subtitle workshop and also ess??
    Subtitle Workshop edits text format subtitles.
    sub/idx are images.
    You can edit those as images in DVDsubedit (First convert to SUP using SubToSup). Or OCR to text.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks ill dl that program can you edit the timing with that program and keep it in idx/sub form?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nevermind i think i found a guide ill give it a try i hope im finally successful im probably going on 2 months or more of dealing with this issue
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think im in over my head with dvdsubedit
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just realized something the place where i got the idx/sub file wasnt there until i used autogk so how do i get the original idx/sub from the actual dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  25. What are you trying to edit? The delay? Open the IDX/SUB in SubtitleCreator and go Synchronize->Set Delay (+/-). Then File->Save VobSub As (give it a new name).
    ...how do i get the original idx/sub from the actual dvd?
    VobSub Configure is one way.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i got the idx/sub file off the vobs and on 1 hour 52 mins and 58 seconds thats when the subs actually disappear then reappear after several minutes then disappear and reappear later out of sync and when it goes missing the subs are actually gone like they were cut out its not line this in the original version..is there a way to edit subs from a certain point on so if everything is in sync for first half of movie then out of sync for second half ? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and also when i try to open the .sub in subtitlecreator it says"error reading subtitle number 1. (index was outside the bounds of the array.)"
    Quote Quote  
  28. There seems to be something wrong with the subs. Maybe there's something wrong with the DVD. Is this a retail DVD or something you downloaded? If it was reencoded by someone, then anything could happen.

How'd you get the VobSubs from the DVD?

Yes, there's a way to edit the IDX so you put it back in synch from a certain point. Say at an hour and thirty minutes it goes out of synch and the subs start playing a second too late. Open the IDX and add in a delay:

Code:
    timestamp: 01:29:54:451, filepos: 0002be800
    timestamp: 01:29:57:510, filepos: 0002bf800
    delay: -00:00:01:000
    timestamp: 01:30:00:186, filepos: 0002c0000
    timestamp: 01:30:03:697, filepos: 0002c1000
    timestamp: 01:30:19:998, filepos: 0002c1800
    timestamp: 01:30:24:169, filepos: 0002c2000
    timestamp: 01:30:25:385, filepos: 0002c2800
    timestamp: 01:30:29:973, filepos: 0002c3800
    You can test it out by playing it with the video. To make the change permanent, open the edited IDX in SubResynch (included with VobSub) and then save it. In the new version the 'delay' line will be gone and all the timestamps afterwards will have been adjusted by the amount of the delay.
    and also when i try to open the .sub in subtitlecreator it says"error reading subtitle number 1. (index was outside the bounds of the array.)"
    Like I speculated, there may be something wrong with these subs. How did you create them? Open the IDX and see if there's anything out of the ordinary in there.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    something could be wrong with the subs i dont doubt that. i bought the dvd online but it very well could be a bootleg copy i dont know for sure. but again it works great when i watch the dvd like normal and when im watching it in VLC and i load the subs there it works fine...

i got the idx/sub with vobsub by following this guide https://forum.videohelp.com/topic87065.html

and ive also used subrip to get them in srt format. this maybe could be user error i dont know but i just dont understand how any way i seem to rip these subs in whatever format the timing becomes off and that new problem with sections actually missing when everything is fine in vob form??

when you say to put in the delay do you just open the sub in notepad? thanks again for all your help i do appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i maybe have figured out my problem but i want to make sure before i post it...
    Quote Quote