VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,

I am using ffmpeg to convert an avi format to mpg format using a simple command
    ffmpeg -i test.avi -sameq test.mpg

This is working fine but the only issue is the conversion time. It takes around 30 minutes to convert a 200 mb video.
    Is there anything I am missing?

Also is there any other way to go about it, please see we need to do all the conversion in windows through command prompt only so GUI based tool is not an option..

Cheers,
    Sumit
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    200mb video doesn't say much. How long is the clip? like if it's 30 minutes it's probably kinda fast while if it's 1 second it's incredible slow...

Do you want mpeg1 or mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your pretty well putting yourself under the hammer by refusing to use any gui based tools.

As for why it's taking so long is the sum of parts in operation.

Pc + os + software + "the file in question"

Your current rig using an 1800xp cpu is falling behind but still capable.

The "avi" could include any number of variables ... audio compressor / bitrate / channels / frequency ... video compressor / bitrate / resolution ... and "container".

Some are quicker to decode and re-compress to mpeg than others

----

You might want to try and give that command some variables as to bitrate's used in output and see if it helps otherwise ffmpeg has open slater as to what the outcome will be.

Have a look at GVC, not use but it will give you some idea's as to commands you might try to include.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,

The video is 25 minutes long and i want it in mpg as i have to give this convrted video to dvdAuthor for authoring.

Also I have tried the conversion for 2 -3 different videos and all conversion is taking this much of time.
    So can you please mention the various bitrates and all that i can try to make the conversion quicker.

Cheers,
    Sumit
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the computer you are using is really an athlon xp1800 then the best way to improve your encoding time is to invest in a faster computer.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a similar question, but not about the processing speed. I'm trying to figure out how to successfully create a video DVD from my 10-bit uncompressed 422YUV (v210) MOV files using FFMPEG. Could any experts here guide me? I'd like to create a video DVD that has specific bitrates, aspect ratio.
    For example My uncompressed MOV files are 10-bit 422 YUV (210), 720x486 (default resolution captured using AJA KONA card). Now I'd want to turn these said files into MPEG-2 DVDs with: NTSC 720x480, 9800kb/s video bitrate, audio: AC-3 PCM. What is the command lines or the best methods that I can apply to achieve the best possible quality for my DVDs? I'd appreciate your time and guidance. Thank you.
    Quote Quote