VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. $546

I wouldn't dare take it anywhere in case it got lost/stolen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stolen? It will fit in your pocket with your hand snuggly over it. If you were really worried you could er ahem put it in your 'budgie smugglers'. Should be safe there! Looks like a great unit for downloading camera files when traveling. That's just what I needed last year on holidays..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently broke my trusty 8GB TDK Trans-IT. A speaker fell on my Phillips 5992 DVD player bending down the protruding flash drive. If "plastic surgery" doesn't work I may buy a 32GB but won't pay $536 for this.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I recently broke my trusty 8GB TDK Trans-IT. A speaker fell on my Phillips 5992 DVD player bending down the protruding flash drive. If "plastic surgery" doesn't work I may buy a 32GB but won't pay $536 for this.
    Nowadays, 8GB is really where they start to become useful. The best deal I've found to date was a Fry's special on a 2-pack of Kingston 8GB flash drives for $25. But that was many months ago, and even one like that has not been repeated. The closest was an Ativa 16GB for $30. at Office Depot, a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, good bang-for-the-buck seems to be stuck around this size: it has not yet migrated to the 16, 32, or 64GB sizes. Eventually, sure, but I'm still waiting.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could buy three 1TB USB2/IEEE1394a/e-SATA external drives for less than that..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136172
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    You could buy three 1TB USB2/IEEE1394a/e-SATA external drives for less than that..
    But could you fit them in your pocket?

I have a 8GB USB flash drive and it's very handy. Bigger would be better, but $500+ would be more than I would consider. Still, it's heading in the right direction. Maybe in the not-to-distant future the prices for a large flash drive will come down to a 'economy' level.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best thing about a 128GB drive coming out is that it might push down the price of the second tier 64GB drives.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Though only moderately off topic: What do you guys see for sustained write speeds to these guys. My 16gb runs around 6-7meg/sec. Do I have the "slower" variety? It was one of those Mwave specials for $9.99... Handy little bugger.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At work they bought me a 1 GB JetFlash. At the time it cost over $700. I manged to break it. I had it plugged into a laptop that had the USB ports on the back. I needed to get the serial number of the laptop so I tilted it up and heard Snap! Oh sh--!

I soldered the end back on and it worked enough to get the data off, but was flaky thereafter. Mercifully it is now long obsolete, so no one will notice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Snakebyte1
    At work they bought me a 1 GB JetFlash. At the time it cost over $700.
    Wow, that must have been a while ago, I remember buying a 256mb flash drive for $109 back in 01, my how time goes bye.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^^spammer?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've ran a couple of flash drives through the washer and dryer so far and they survived with no problems. And now they're also nice and clean.
    I would have thought the dryer would have done some damage with the tumbling and the heat, but they seem fairly tough.
    Quote Quote  
  13. A lot has got to do with the build quality, my wife ran my sons iPod through the washer & dryer as well, I googled the net on what to do about it, apparently a lot of people do it because there were so many subjects on the matter (iPod washing machine), anyway after doing what people suggested, leave to dry for 2 weeks before turning on, low & behold, it worked, & still works after 2 years, the theory behind it working after being submerged in water is, that iPods are built to a high tolerance, don't know about that, but some devices withstand an amazing amount of abuse.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Give it about 6 months and the prices will come down. Just like everything else has come down in prices, especially now during this time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by mh2360
    $546

I wouldn't dare take it anywhere in case it got lost/stolen.
    Hey, as long as company pay for it. Why should we worried about the cost of bussiness of our employers ?
    Quote Quote