VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im new at this and have read a lot of threads on this but am still unsure how to proceed. I want to convert VHS home and Disney movies to my PC then burn DVD. Here's some info:

Computer: HP Pavillion desktop m9040n with Windows Vista Home Premium
    Processor: Intel 2Quad core 2.4GHZ
    Ram: 3GB
    Hard drives: 2 300GB drives
    DVD Lightscribe burner
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 tuner card

Memorex vcr, new
    Dimax-Grex stabilizer

If I play the tapes on the vcr thru the Grex then into the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 tuner card, what type of program do I need to capture the video and store to Hard drive and burn to DVD? Will something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum do the job or what other programs are suggested.

Also, do I need an external capture device or is the Hauppage tuner card the same thing. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    all hauppauge cards cpome with capturing software called wintv. if you didnt get it then download it from the website. sony vegas is not worth it.
    you'll need an authoring piece of software. i use these...
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html
    they work great
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EJ8
    Im new at this and have read a lot of threads on this but am still unsure how to proceed. I want to convert VHS home and Disney movies to my PC then burn DVD. Here's some info:
    This reference to "Disney" troubles me. If you are talking about copying old VHS tapes you bought, then you will have problems Commercial VHS tapes use Macrovision to thwart copying and the odds are pretty high that your card won't be able to defeat Macrovision on its own. That will require you to buy a special box to defeat Macrovision. Unless these Disney VHS tapes are completely and totally out of print, it's probably not worth the trouble. Except for "Song Of The South" (and you can find ways to buy it on the internet), everything Disney makes goes back in print from time to time. Something called a TBC (Time Base Corrector) is what you need to deal with Macrovision.

Macrovision won't be on any home videos or recordings you made from TV, so if by saying "Disney" you mean stuff you recorded off the Disney Channel to VHS, then you don't need any special boxes to record them to your PC.

By the way, weekends are down times for the forum with fewer posts and many experienced members taking the weekend off, hence why your original post didn't attract much attention. But you did well to bump it 1 day later. That's perfectly fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the WinTV-HVR-1800 tuner card recognize MV or CGMS? I know the older Hauppauge (PVR-150) in this machine does not.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by classfour
    Does the WinTV-HVR-1800 tuner card recognize MV or CGMS? I know the older Hauppauge (PVR-150) in this machine does not.
    That's a good question and I don't know. I just wanted to mention it as a possibility in case the original poster has problems copying commercial tapes and doesn't understand why. For all I know the card may ignore Macrovision or the tapes may not be commercial ones.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all for the replies. Regarding the Macrovision, I will be getting a Dimax-Grex stabilizer which is supposed to take care of the macrovision. Beyond the Macrovision issue I was wondering if the Hauppauge card I listed is all I need to capture the analogue recording into my computer and what program/software is recommend to work best with this to do some basic editing and burn dvd's.
    Quote Quote