VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got a new hdtv with a vga input and hooked it up to my new laptop. the tv recommends ether 1920x1080 or 1280x720 resolution at 60hz. the video card in my laptop wont do 1080 so i set it to 720 at 60hz. everything works great on the pc except when watching HD videos. everytime there was a lot of motion, or there is a fade to black, the screen gets horizontal lines in it. its not the tv because it works fine with everything else. it almost looks to me like the whole frame isnt being produced for a split second. sometimes there can even be more than one line in there. my question is, do you think this is due to the 60hz refresh rate? i already updated to the latest video card drivers. and btw, it works fine with the laptops internal screen, no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know its not on the recommended list for the tv that you mentioned but have you tried 1360x768? Or possibly 1366x768?

That is my native resolution on my westinghouse 32" hdtv. When I have my pc connected via component or hdmi that is the best resolution for me to use. Everything is sharp and clear.

I would suggest trying that resolution and see if it helps.

It may be an entirely different issue but theres no harm in trying.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sitlet
    i got a new hdtv with a vga input and hooked it up to my new laptop. the tv recommends ether 1920x1080 or 1280x720 resolution at 60hz. the video card in my laptop wont do 1080 so i set it to 720 at 60hz. everything works great on the pc except when watching HD videos. everytime there was a lot of motion, or there is a fade to black, the screen gets horizontal lines in it. its not the tv because it works fine with everything else. it almost looks to me like the whole frame isnt being produced for a split second. sometimes there can even be more than one line in there. my question is, do you think this is due to the 60hz refresh rate? i already updated to the latest video card drivers. and btw, it works fine with the laptops internal screen, no problems.
    Sounds like a symptom of too high adaptive deinterlacing, try turn off, or turning down deinterlacing

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you connect VGA to the HDTV most TV sets bypass the image processing circuits and act as a dumb progressive computer display. In this mode the TV displays the same way as your computer monitor. So the deinterlace must happen in your software player (e.g. VLC or PowerDVD) or with hardware assist from your display card (see player settings).

VGA is by definition a progressive standard.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you feed interlace video to the HDMI or analog component TV ports, the TV will handle the deinterlace or inverse telecine to progressive display. Some TVs do this better than others.

When you feed progressive into these ports, any interlacing errors introduced by your computer software player are not corrected. The have become fixed into the progressive video.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote