VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a little lost as to how subtitles are handled in AVIs. I have used AVIAddXSubs to merge the subtitles into the AVI. This results in switchable subs in my standalone divx player. When I join the two such AVIs using VirtualDub in direct video stream copy mode the subtitles are not available in my stand alone player, WMP, MPC or Nero Show Time.

A little further checking reveals that none of the PC software players will show subtitles for the separate AVIs made by AVIAddXSubs but they are switchable on the Oppo DV-970HD. Very pleased that the Oppo has USB input, a flash drive has saved many CD/DVDs.

AHha! MediaInfo shows DivX subtitles in the AVIAddXSubs built files but they are absent from the VirtualDub built file.

What am I doing wrong or is there a better way. The subtitles don't have to be switchable but it would be nice.

Any help appreciated, John.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would use SubtitleWorkshop to append and adjust the timing of the two SRT files, append the AVI files without subs, then mux the appended subs into the AVI.

Actually I would just leave the video as two AVI files with separate SRT files but you seem averse to that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My player will not (afaik) pick up the SRT files, I did try that, therein lies the problem. It also turns out that the audio sample rates are different in the AVIs, VitualDub does not object but VitualDubMod does (?).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hibbs
    My player will not (afaik) pick up the SRT files
    Most players support external SRT subs. Try using short 8.3 filenames, all caps, only alphanumeric characters. Like:

VIDEO.AVI
    VIDEO.SRT

Originally Posted by hibbs
    It also turns out that the audio sample rates are different in the AVIs, VitualDub does not object but VitualDubMod does (?).
    I suspect there will be playback problems even if VirtualDub does allow different audio sample rates. I would convert one to make it identical to the other.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help. After a few trials I've found that XviD4PSP hard merges sub titles if the SRT has the same name as the AVI and I can also shrink the AVI. The AVIs were then joined with VirtualDub. Merging sutitles before appending the AVIs avoids sync problems in the second AVI.
    Quote Quote