VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have my original disc, The Dark Knight, and I was looking to convert it to my PSP. I first ripped the movie to a folder on my PC using ANYDVD.

From there I identified the correct .mt2s file being as it was around 30 gigs in size. I first tried just dropping the .mt2s file into tmpgenc 4.0 xpress, but that caused it to lock up. So I then tried to play back the file to see if I was able to do that. WMP 11, Media Player Classic, Nero Showtime, and the most recent VLC, none of them would play the file. I can get audio, but no video.

I then demuxed the file into the elementary streams and chose the video and audio files that I wanted. The video is in VC-1 format. Tmpgenc, virtualdubmod, and Nero recode don't recognize the file as any kind of compatible video file.

However, the PowerDVD software that came with my Blu Ray burner was able to play both the VC-1 and the .mt2s without any trouble.

Am I missing the correct VC-1 codec to be able to playback and convert VC-1 files? If so, is there a freeware codec someone could point me to, or even a retail codec that I could buy fairly cheaply?

Or is my problem something else? I've tried FFDSHOW as well, but the problem remained.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did you enable vc-1 decoding in ffdshow?

Or try convert using handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Did you enable vc-1 decoding in ffdshow?

Or try convert using handbrake.
    I have tried enabling VC-1 in ffdshow. I haven't tried handbrake yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can now confirm that handbrake is also not working. It gives me an error that no title info could be found when I try to open the file.

Here's the information on the file from Media Info

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : VC-1
    Format profile : AP@L3
    Duration : 2h 32mn
    Bit rate : 26.7 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.538
    Stream size : 28.4 GiB (87%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have any problems playing back VC-1 .m2ts files with MPC-HC that I have ripped with AnyDVD. But I don't think VLC can or especially WMP. And make sure you are using MPC-HC, not the regular MPC. PowerDVD will also refuse to play them, though it's capable of it. I don't have Nero, so I have never tried that. You may still have a ffdshow problem.
    Quote Quote