VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I will be taking on a trip, anybody can help to decode my region 1 player to all regions?

    P.S. This does not make sense to me at all, if the DVD players are made for the purposes of portability and convenience, why would the manufacturers do that (region restrictions)?

  2. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, was wondering if you got the hack code for your Sony DVP-FX930 and if you did, could please possibly give it to me? Many thanks. Diane Priest

  3. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Not gonna happen.

  4. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lgaak
    Hi, I will be taking on a trip, anybody can help to decode my region 1 player to all regions?

    P.S. This does not make sense to me at all, if the DVD players are made for the purposes of portability and convenience, why would the manufacturers do that (region restrictions)?
    1) The pressure that Hollywood places on the manufacturers to prevent region free play is enormous. A good question is why the manufacturers care about being Hollywood's bitch. If they all banded together and refused to play along, what could Hollywood do? But that will never happen as Sony is not only a manufacturer of hardware but also a studio owner.
    2) Some players cannot be hacked - ever. Despite beliefs to the contrary, some players simply do not have hack codes.
    3) Sony and Samsung players are among the most difficult in the world right now to hack. Very very few models can be hacked. No, I don't have a list.
    4) Even a few years ago when it was pretty easy to find DVD players anywhere that could be hacked, specialty players like portables and DVD/VHS or DVD/TV combo players could almost never be hacked.

    Good luck, but the odds are against both of you here.

  5. There must be some way to hack into a Sony Portable CD/VD DVP-FX930 for there are multiple retailers selling this very make and model as an "region-free" or "all region" player. Therefore, there is a hack code! Could someone please post the code?

  6. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Magnolialabelle View Post
    Therefore, there is a hack code!
    Your conclusion fails. Some models are made region-free by replacing a chip or some other hardware adjustment. No code, but soldering.

  7. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Magnolialabelle View Post
    There must be some way to hack into a Sony Portable CD/VD DVP-FX930 for there are multiple retailers selling this very make and model as an "region-free" or "all region" player. Therefore, there is a hack code! Could someone please post the code?
    Did you not consider the possibility that many retailers LIE? We've had posts here where some poor soul posts a sad tale of being told by a retailer that the model they bought could easily be made region free by a code on the internet, yet no code exists for that player.

    1) Specialty players such as VCR/DVD combo players, TV/DVD combo players, and portables have always been almost impossible to hack. Even years ago when most DVD players could be hacked, most portables could NOT be hacked. I've never heard of any Sony portable DVD player that ever could be hacked. Maybe there was one but I've never heard of it.
    2) Sony and Samsung DVD players of all types are the most difficult in the world to unlock at this time.
    3) Asking for an unlock code for over a year has to produce one, so I would not hold my breath on one showing up now. Read numbers 1 and 2 above if you still have hope.

  8. True, there could be companies that lie but in my experience, they don't stay in business long...

    http://www.220-electronics.com/portable/Sony_DVP-FX930.htm

    http://www.world-import.com/sony-dvd.htm

    http://www.sony-buyer.com/sony-dvd/sony-dvp-fx930-9-inch-region-free-portable-dvd-play...-110-240-volts

    Here are just a few businesses that advertise this particular make and model as "region free."

    I'm not savvy enough to know but sometimes it is like an auto mechanic...alot hot air by those who know enough just to be dangerous but not enough to set the problem right. BTW, NASA just sent two "region-free" portable DVD players up to the space station. Hmmmmm, not possible??? Apparently, NASA's engineers knew how to hack the players for our astronaut's enjoyment when they have down-time on the space station.

  9. Yeah, but the real Sony DVP-FX930 sells for well under $200. Amazon.com has it for $140, and the official Sony store sells it for the list price of $180. Your region-free versions, on the other hand, all sell for well over $200. They've all been hardware modified. There's no such thing as a code to make this thing region-free. It can only be done with outside parts and soldering.
    Hmmmmm, not possible???
    That's right, no codes you can input to make it region-free.
    Apparently, NASA's engineers knew how to hack the players for our astronaut's enjoyment when they have down-time on the space station.
    Maybe they modded it themselves or maybe they bought one from one of your links.

  10. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Magnolialabelle View Post
    I'm not savvy enough to know but sometimes it is like an auto mechanic...alot hot air by those who know enough just to be dangerous but not enough to set the problem right. BTW, NASA just sent two "region-free" portable DVD players up to the space station. Hmmmmm, not possible??? Apparently, NASA's engineers knew how to hack the players for our astronaut's enjoyment when they have down-time on the space station.
    And you know that these region free portables are SONY models because ...???? And you know that they are the same as YOUR model because...??? And you know that they bought they from the same place as you because ...???

    I'm not sure where you're getting this "impossible" stuff from. But you do clearly seem to be denial about the likelihood of YOUR Sony player become region free. Any player can be made region free with hardware - if you can find someone to do it and you're willing to pay them. But note that I never said that no portables can be made region free. I said that it has always been incredibly difficult to do so and it's even more difficult now. Some years ago Philips did make one or maybe even a few portables that could be made region free and few of the Chinese manufacturers who no longer produce DVD players for the US market did make some as well. But that's not true today.

    As far as dishonest companies going out of business goes, not necessarily. Your fault assumption is that most people care about having region free players, but they do not. Among my family and friends, I cannot find even one who cares anything about region free DVD playback. Some companies lie about region free playback because not many people care. Plus, by telling you that a hack exists on the internet, they have pushed the problem to YOU and away from them because now if you can't find it, they will just say it's your fault for not knowing how to look as they secretly laugh and say "Sucker!". Some models they sell may honestly have a hack available, but that's not the same as saying that all models have one.

  11. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    What do you think guys....should we post the super-secret, all-for-one, universally universal hack code now? Have we made him(or her) wait long enough? Should we cut them some slack?

  12. (Yawn) What a bore you boys are, like a swarm or midges out for hot blood. Why, all you are missing is a troop of boy scouts to coach.
    If you know it, post it, if not, be off
    !

    Sheesh! As Stephen Fry calls this type of behaviour, "forum-spotters" --> spending inordinate amounts of wasted time baiting for an argument; the 21st century version of a 'train spotter.'

    Hey, "Yank in Europe," there are others that are "Yanks" in Europe too such as myself. I would think you are based in the UK since the Brits love to call Americans by that moniker. Have you picked up the "assumed attitude" of the stereotyped CHAV or do you come by it naturally? Let me guess, you shop in town in trainers and sweats.

  13. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Then you haven't been in Europe too long my friend, or you did ZERO homework before you came over....or you would know that region codes are really the only major hurdle to playing NTSC discs here in PAL-Land. We have it easy over here. We can play damn near anything as long as the region code issue is resolved. Americans playing discs from other parts of the world "on a whim" is damn near impossible. They have to worry about region codes AND the PAL Video Format issue(which many times is simply an un-solvable issue - see impossible).
    Yea us "old timers" here do the obligatory "eye roll" every time a post like this turns up (10x per week maybe?) and that is our fault....but to come here and say "There must be some way to hack into a Sony Portable" after being told that hacking portables, especially Big-Name portables is "Not Gonna Happen" is ridiculous.

  14. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    You also would not believe the number of people who come back here a few days later to say "I found the hack and now it's region free" without posting and kind of details on how they did it. It's almost as if they were lying or something.

  15. Oh dear. Got your dander up, I see...not just one but TWO vitroilic rebuttals. The honor is all mine!

    Well, well, you, my dear, dear little boy, could not have strengthen my point any further solely by by your actions. ("Zee trap you set is but your own." -- H. Piorot)

    Count the threads, dear one, but in reverse. 10:1 in smart-alec attacks to queries (You do understand 6th grade ratios?).

    Hech54 --> is this an amelioration of the land where the River Styx flows? If so, well done! It is very appropriately chosen.

    You are the proverbial black belt of forum-spotters, aren't you? Why not go out and get some fresh air. Run along and play. Cool those tempered brows of yours.

    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 5248
Size:  5.3 KB


    Oh, and let me guess...you will NOT be able to control yourself. Like a moth to a flame, you MUST have the last word on the matter,
    O' Great Swami of the Forum World! If we mere mortals were just as knowledgeable as you {sigh}.

  16. Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Inside My Avatar U.S.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Magnolialabelle View Post
    oh, and let me guess...you will NOT be able to control yourself. Like a moth to a flame, you MUST have the last word on the matter,
    O' Great Swami of the Forum World! If we mere mortals were just as knowledgeable as you {sigh}.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black....

    Ignorance is bliss.......


  17. I think if a simple hack code was available, you would have gotten it by now. I even Googled "Hack code for Sony DVP FX930 portable DVD player" and only found more of the same question, but not the solution.

    I never take my original DVDs on trips. I make DVD-R back-ups which are "region free". You might find (as I did) that your portable player will play region free discs regardless of whether they are NTSC or PAL.

  18. Member turk690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Magnolialabelle View Post
    There must be some way to hack into a Sony Portable CD/VD DVP-FX930 for there are multiple retailers selling this very make and model as an "region-free" or "all region" player. Therefore, there is a hack code! Could someone please post the code?
    Did you not consider the possibility that many retailers LIE? We've had posts here where some poor soul posts a sad tale of being told by a retailer that the model they bought could easily be made region free by a code on the internet, yet no code exists for that player.

    1) Specialty players such as VCR/DVD combo players, TV/DVD combo players, and portables have always been almost impossible to hack. Even years ago when most DVD players could be hacked, most portables could NOT be hacked. I've never heard of any Sony portable DVD player that ever could be hacked. Maybe there was one but I've never heard of it.
    2) Sony and Samsung DVD players of all types are the most difficult in the world to unlock at this time.
    3) Asking for an unlock code for over a year has to produce one, so I would not hold my breath on one showing up now. Read numbers 1 and 2 above if you still have hope.
    Here in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain all Sony DVP-FX930 (and 730 and 750 and 950) are all region-free. So it is as far afield in Hong Kong and Macau. Yes, inside the Sony World showrooms themselves. Illegal or not, no-one seems to care either way. Were they hacked or they are in some original region-free state is not clear, but 2nd hand info has it that these are supposed to be programmed into the appropriate region 2 or 3 before being put on the store shelves. But they don't so it's one less job for them and good for all of us buyers as well
    Not just Sony. Samsung, LG, JVC, etc. What do you make of that? On the other hand, all BD player BD-part are region appropriate B-only or A-only.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".

  19. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Since this question still hasn't been answered since June, 2009, there's likely no hack available. I would just go with RowMan's suggestion and make a region free backup copy of your DVDs and go with that.

    And since this is an old thread and not likely to go anywhere, Locked.

    Moderator redwudz




Similar Threads