VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    hi y'all!

i'm posting this to newbie cuz i'm pretty sure it's a basic question!

i have a dell xps m1530 laptop and today for the first time i've connected it to my vizio VA19L hdtv, using an hdmi cable.

picture quality is awesome, but i get no audio transfer from the laptop to the tv.

Wasn't hdmi supposed to be only one connection for both audio and video?
    eligen
    Search Comp PM
    You should get audio 'if' your laptop supports audio out through the HDMI connector. If you were just using a DVI>HDMI cable or adapter, no.

I would check your audio card settings as audio out through HDMI may not be selected. And the TV settings to make sure it's selected there also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HDMI standard supports audio and bi-directional control but implementation is optional by device. Check the specs.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hey redwudz & edtv, thanx 4 ur quick reply.

so i'm using an hdmi to hdmi cable; i checked on the tv and it seems it's selected.

at a certain point i thought the problem might be that i was using the hdtv in extended desktop mode, but that wasnt it eiither.

i'm beginning to think that the audio card on my laptop does not support hdmi audio out. im gonna check with dell.
    eligen
    Search Comp PM
    When I first connected my laptop to a hdtv with a HDMI the audio was still coming out the laptop speakers. I right clicked on the speaker icon in the bottom right to change the settings (Right click - sounds - playback tab). It worked after I changed it to 'Digital Output Device (HDMI)'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bighead321
    When I first connected my laptop to a hdtv with a HDMI the audio was still coming out the laptop speakers. I right clicked on the speaker icon in the bottom right to change the settings (Right click - sounds - playback tab). It worked after I changed it to 'Digital Output Device (HDMI)'.
    yep, it worked... but now i'm having the opposite problem trying to revert to the laptop speakers...
    eligen
    Search Comp PM
    For Vista...
    Right click on speaker icon then "Playback Devices". You will see a list.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    For Vista...
    Right click on speaker icon then "Playback Devices". You will see a list.
    of course i've tried to do that... it just wouldnt go back to laptop speakers... in the end i just logged off and logged back on and the sound was back on the laptop speakers... so weird!!
    eligen