VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for advice on how to watch all of my video content digitally - short of building a media pc. The two things that I commonly watch are xvid/avi files and files formatted for DVD. I recently purchased a Phillips 5990 that is working great with the xvid/avi files. However, it does not recognize the DVD menu files / structure. I have looked for some time now but not have come up with a good solution. Is there a DVD player with USB input that will recognize DVD menus through the USB port? Maybe someone has a suggestion besides trying to go through a DVD player to watch the DVD content without burning to DVD.

Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    not in my experience, when a dvd player goes to usb mode, it is not looking for a ifo file, it is in file browsing mode and hads of all of the avi/wmv,etc chores to a 3rd party decoder chip. when a dvd is inserted the first decoder chip read the first sector, loads the ifo file and displays a "menu". so short of a htpc you will not find this as the two chips are seperate entities.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your out of luck. There’s currently no standalone out there to playback DVDs (ISO/Video ts) properly from USB.
    What exactly is rotten in Denmark?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies. I am really surprised that no one makes a player that can process a VIDEO_TS folder from a USB port the same way it would process one from a DVD.

Thanks once again for taking time to reply.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry but I just have to bump this thread back up. I'm looking for exactly the same thing (as in another thread of mine) but this one sums up pretty nicely. My Philips DVD player is able to recognize .vob files but not .ifo! Thus subtitles and chapters jumping are missing. After a year now since this was ask, anything new? Cheers.
    Quote Quote