VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Okay there was a thread that brought to attention that we are lite on mods with only redwudz, yoda, satstorm, and faustus actively frequenting the board. Baldrick himself even said it might be time to pick a new mod or two. So who would you suggest? This can let Baldrick know who the community thinks would be a good mod.

I personally can think of three people that in my opinnion would be good mods.
    Jagabo, jman98, and manono.
    Manono is already a mod at doom9 so he may not want the added responsibility.
    Jagabo and jman98 are both helpful, knowledgeable, and follow the forums rules well and I think would make good mods.

So who do you think would be a good moderator?
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my opinion & my opinion only, so no need for anyone to get nasty with me, but why do we need more moderators?, I think we need a couple of our older members to behave them selves a little more, so the moderators we do have can actualy moderate with a little less burden, rather than give them extra duties by creating/causing havoc in certain threads, they have been doing a darn fine job so far, they don't look to be run off there feet in anyway, it's just a couple of older members getting there nickers in a knot over an occasional new member that does not know the ropes as yet, they/we mean no harm.
    "What the heck are you guys doing? Trying to ruin my life, make me look like a friggin' idiot?"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    So who do you think would be a good moderator?
    I think that guy freebird73717 would make a good mod

Oh, and edDV needs at least a special title. His posts go far beyond the average help you'd get at any forum.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Zombie, I agree with you -- BUT -- moderating is more than saying "hey guys, break it up". There is spam to manage, posts to move, sometimes stickies and polls to assist with.

I almost wonder if there should be a class of normal Moderator that ONLY does the latter part, reserving "hey guys, behave" for a few Super Mods. When I volunteered all those years ago, that's really all I wanted to help with.

When you're a Super Mod, you sort of get sucked in to messes, mostly via PMs, and it's "your duty" to the forum to fix it (or somehow try to end it). At least you did back in those days, when "IBTL" was a game, and it seemed there was a crowd dedicated to causing trouble. I remember death threads issued to mods/members, stalkers hunting down mods/members, hourly spam problems, etc (most of that stuff is hidden away or outright deleted, you won't see it in the public forum archives) -- stuff is different now. Still some issues, but on the whole, it's a lot better. Sadly, a drop in traffic is one reason, but still -- take the positives.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guns1inger's another possibility; very knowledgeable, helpful and patient (!). And he spends an awful lot of time here, it seems. :P

There are other possibilities of course. That Freebird guy, for instance.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According the current traffic of the site, one new mod could be usefull.

Also, beyond the troubles we have to deal with (and LS explained), most of the problems happens (or started) on the off topic section.

So, I'll suggest again to Baldrick the termination of the specific subforum, since it only brings trouble, lead the forum to non technical subjects, it is not international, and has members that spend their lifes posting there all the time, with no other reason to be around. (yeah, I know, I'm a joy killer, so what? )

Anyway, for a mod, I wouldn't like an Off Topic frequenter. We tried that in the past and failed misserable.

What this forum needs, is a dedicated video enthusiast, newbie friendly, with passion about our hobby, understanding of international culture, and a wide knowledge of laws, outside of the USA. Someone which understand the new needs of our scene and knows how to deal against the traps of the Big Ones.

I would love to see a moderator from SouthEast Asia, Japan, India or even China. We need this, because this is an international forum.

Any suggestions in that direction?
    Quote Quote  
  7. All of the new Mod suggestions that I would make have already been suggested so I won't repeat them as this is not a democracy and we don't get a vote. SatStorm's suggestion is good, but I would add that a good working knowledge of English be included in that list of qualifications. All of the rest is meaningless if he/she can't be understood.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Oh, and edDV needs at least a special title. His posts go far beyond the average help you'd get at any forum.
    Yeah, but what title would be sufficiently dignified?

Titles like "guru" and "expert" are overused and cheapened on so many other websites.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with fritzi93
    Titles, Crowns, etc... Useless stuff.

The nickname of a user, is all he needs. He can build his reputation on it - if that is his goal. That is internet. Titles exist for those who don't understand the internet.

edDV has won the respect of his fellow members, so his nickname is his title. Same way Lord Smurf is well known, or others. Something more won't add something to him.

Regarding the english skills, there is a definatelly plus. I'm below those skills myself, so I know the difficulties (and the traps that some people can set up just because of the existance of this fact).

Ethicks, expression, understanding of what is allowed and what is not, differs from region to region. This forum here the last years has adapted an attitude centered around the "USA way" of doing things and that backfired eventually, by banning or distant the international members.
    It's time to change that. So, I believe, someone from those regions I mention, will trully help this forum.

IMHO, killing the mother of troubles, the off topic section, would help too. But it is not up to me to decide that. If it was, off topic wouldn't exist 5 years now.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by z0mbie
    This is my opinion & my opinion only, so no need for anyone to get nasty with me, but why do we need more moderators?, I think we need a couple of our older members to behave them selves a little more, so the moderators we do have can actualy moderate with a little less burden, rather than give them extra duties by creating/causing havoc in certain threads, they have been doing a darn fine job so far, they don't look to be run off there feet in anyway, it's just a couple of older members getting there nickers in a knot over an occasional new member that does not know the ropes as yet, they/we mean no harm.
    I don't think anyone will get nasty with you. You've said nothing for anyone to get nasty about. You have some valid points. But I think there is still need for additional moderator/s.

Originally Posted by SatStorm
    Anyway, for a mod, I wouldn't like an Off Topic frequenter. We tried that in the past and failed misserable.
    For the most part off topic is harmless fun. But yes there have been threads that went to far in the end. I'd hate to see off topic go. I like posting funny vids in off topic.

I would love to see a moderator from SouthEast Asia, Japan, India or even China. We need this, because this is an international forum.
    I actually think that is a good suggestion but I honestly can't think of anyone to suggest. I wish I could.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keep Off Topic. Killing it won't stop the OT posters, they'll just post elsewhwere and screw up other forums.

At least now with an OT forum you can just avoid going there and not be subject to their antics.
    Quote Quote  
  12. SatStorm, the only problem with that is, about 3 years ago, I was the one who inspired Baldrick to get rid of a similar Topic (can't remember what it was called) where members posted in about every single thing that someone was doing wrong, mostly the new members, again, there was a great debate where a lot of the members still wanted it around so they can report people in front of everyone, sought of like a power trip, but in the end Baldrick saw fit to make it only veiwable by you guys, because it was causing trouble, I won in the end, so i thought, here is a link to that thread I started in 2006 https://forum.videohelp.com/topic308357.html anyway, the members that felt the need to shame people in front of everyone found another way of doing it, hence OT & Feedback, I think no matter what, there will always be a way for these people to do what they do best by treading on that fine line, I found out the hard way, that I did not know what that fine line was, but I have learned my lesson well, all I would like to see is, new members being treated with respect, just like eveyone here wants to be treated, there is no need for the garbage that goes on at OT & FB, get rid of members that are causing this, not the topics, we may as well kiss videohelp good bye if we bow down to them.

Denis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO, killing the mother of troubles, the off topic section, would help too. But it is not up to me to decide that. If it was, off topic wouldn't exist 5 years now.
    People who hang out at a forum tend to want to post on all kinds of subjects. I'm mystified why people ask technical questions that are far off topic here, for instance. If I answer it's usually to pit them to a more appropriate forum. I expect these suggestions are mostly ignored. Similarly, people who want to vent on something want to do it here, where they're already logged in. If you give them an off-topic forum, they can post there and everyone else can just ignore it.

In a local forum I use we have an anything-goes subforum, invisible unless you have applied for membership, called "Fight Club" You can go there and call anyone names, make bigoted remarks, no one cares. You will be insulted in turn, of course.

The alternative would have been to temporarily or permanently ban several members. This let them have their fun, while not offending normal users. If they were offensive in the main forum they could be warned or sanctioned.

One useful feature is that posts in that forum will expire after 30 days. That prevents people browsing old flame wars and getting indignant and reigniting them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OT forums are supposed to be fun. I rather enjoy some of the odd banter.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    One useful feature is that posts in that forum will expire after 30 days. That prevents people browsing old flame wars and getting indignant and reigniting them.
    The classic "gravedigger" syndrome. What's the oldest gravedig you guys have seen? I think I saw one from recently from 2001 and I think AlanHK has been a victim a few times

A counterpoint would be sometimes there is useful information in those old threads, and not being able to access them would be a shame and repetetive when you provide the same info over and over.

I think Guns1linger would make a good mod. He is helpful, patient and firm but fair, and doesn't take crap
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    OT forums are supposed to be fun. I rather enjoy some of the odd banter.
    Try being on the receiving side, then let us know how fun it is
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like Satstorm and gadgetguy said i too would like to see a "international mod", some members dont realize that not everyone that visits this forum is from the USA, perhaps the creation of localized sub forum with just one category like general help for example, it doesnt need to be a fully fledged localized version, just an help sub topic.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  18. What would IMO be more helpful to those with limited english would be some sort of translation, we have many members here with multiple language skills. Those with limited english could ask for help making some of the more complicated questions more clear.

That would make the forum more accessible as opposed to more limited, specific-language subforums.

I disagree with Ghost on making reported posts non-public, I thought that section provided useful examples of what should not be done. Now I'll have to look at the old post and see if I said anything at the time.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone but Guns1linger. Mods need to know how to talk to people.
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Another consideration for a Mod is which international timezone he's in to help with 24hr/day coverage. (We all have to sleep sometime. )
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anakin
    Anyone but Guns1linger. Mods need to know how to talk to people.
    You are in a tiny minority, Anakin. While it is true that Guns1inger does not suffer fools gladly, he is very generous in providing a wealth of useful information. He has my vote.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    What would IMO be more helpful to those with limited english would be some sort of translation, we have many members here with multiple language skills. Those with limited english could ask for help making some of the more complicated questions more clear.

That would make the forum more accessible as opposed to more limited, specific-language subforums.
    Nelson37, that would make people stay away, specific sub language forums is more "friendly", can you imagine logging yourself to videohelp and having to answer all those request for translating.

I dont know if Baldrick thought about it but from this "side" specific sub forums are way more friendly, i recommend this site to a few friends but they didnt register.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Local subforums don't work. Doom9 tried it, no success.

Regarding the fun on the off topic forum, no: You must be a middle age American to have fun there. For a great deal of the rest of us, you don't like to read a description of how awful it is, because if I do it, you won't like it.
    And if Off topic was so fun, show me a post in which the non Americans had fun there...
    The last time I said those things, I called fascist, racist, etc. And because of this attitude, non spoken again about this point of view ever since. Most international users simply left. And we end up today to what we end up.

I'm a member of this forum for many years and I have a clean view about who and what cause the troubles around. The "Off Topic" ghetto, because it is a ghetto there now, is the biggest one. Plain and Simply.
    There are other problems too. But we can't solve them all at once. The Off Topic problem, come first in my agenda.

Regarding the timezone, when we had mods from Australia, Israel, Sweden, we didn't have so many problems. Now it is me (E.E.T) and Baldrick (CET). The rest are from USA. So, we need someone from China, India, Japan, Southeast Asia or Australia. I would prefer someone of asia origin. Misunderstandings because of language barriers, different culture and different laws, could be solved easier that way. You have to be one of them to judge them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SatStorm i was in portuguese subforum and i can tell you it works. The problem was having subforums detached from the doom9 site, a pain to make it work whenever changing hosts was required, here if baldrick opens subforums they will stay inside the site and not like doom9 was. Very different situations
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe that this is a solution. Terms, knowledge, articles, mostly are in English. Every country has local forums for local use.
    This is an international forum and the success it has is based exactly on this. The attitude and the understanding towards non english users must change, not to make local subforums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a member of this forum for many years and I have a clean view about who and what cause the troubles around. The "Off Topic" ghetto, because it is a ghetto there now, is the biggest one. Plain and Simply.
    There are other problems too. But we can't solve them all at once. The Off Topic problem, come first in my agenda.
    I've been here 3 years and never, until today, ventured into "Off topic".
    And after looking, I can't see what the fuss is, but anyway I won't bother to go back, I suggest you just ignore it.
    How can it be a "problem"?
    The web is full of unpleasant sites. You can't delete them all, you just stay away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I done that suggestion myself some years ago, and it was wrong.
    Now, I'm not gonna ignore it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I done that suggestion myself some years ago, and it was wrong.
    Now, I'm not gonna ignore it.
    So it's so repulsive you can't bring yourself to explain the problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For someone not involved, you show a great interest on the subject.
    Also, I didn't know the world "repulsive", I had to use google translate to understand it.
    My answer is: Yes, it is.

BTW, do you have someone to suggest for the mod position?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes lets try to bring this back on topic.
    We are getting to far off topic talking about off topic!

So... anyone else got suggestions for mods?
    Quote Quote