VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    @SatStorm
    you're mistaken, with the level of videohelp or doom9 they dont exist, dont know any portuguese or on our neighbours (Spain).

Well we agree in disagreing.

About the mod....Yoda you're the expert on pools....
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I nominate Noahtuck. He is helpful, knows how to talk to people and mindful of the forum rules.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all this is well and fine, but i still haven't seen king baldrick ask for nominees. i'd assume he'd just ask whomever he wishes if he wishes, and not call on the riffraff to vote someone into servitude.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, the pay and hours suck. Don't quit your day job. We have about 172, 231 members at present. It may take a while to sort.
    Actually our visitors have increased somewhat, about 2,000,000 in January. Not as high as in 2006, but improving.

I don't see a big problem with non-native English speakers. We seem to be able to communicate well enough most times. And Babel Fish has helped me out a few times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like some of the names advanced here mainly because some have a high degree of subject matter knowledge, are fairly active and are mostly courteous when answering questions. My feelings is that Baldrick and the existing mods have a better handle on the needs and should discuss it privately.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I partially agree with aedipuss, in that I believe the correct protocol, when you're living in a baldrickarchy, is to just accept the reigning Baldrick's governing decisions. Even if you're not a big believer in societal protocols, this is his site. He's also been here longer than anyone else, he's the only one who knows what it takes to keep this place running smoothly, and ultimately he's the one who's going to have to clean up the mess if a new mod goes all "Jekyll and Hyde" and starts eating newbies by the handful.

I'm not so sure about the "riffraff" part of aedipuss' post, but that could just be chalked up to the "a rose by any other name..." consideration.

My suggestion for a new moderator? Anyone who's fair, honest, helpful, patient, diligent, responsible, motivated to do a good job, and wise enough to tread the (sometimes) fine line between maintaining order while still encouraging open discussions.

By the way, would just cloning an existing mod be completely out of the question?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One last chance. Stay on topic or this thread will be locked, or deleted as I have done with the last few posts in it.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding moderation of "Off-topic", it might be considered to appoint some moderators only for that forum, drawn from its denizens, making poachers into gamekeepers.

Then moderators who aren't familiar with the subculture wouldn't be called in to put out fires.
    Quote Quote  
  9. We need someone who will stop such rubbish being posted, not the rubish posters them selves, I still think SatStorm is on the money

@ AlanHK
    Check your profile, some one has been using your account, there are 17 posts in the OT by AlanHK, I thought I might mention it since you said:
    I've been here 3 years and never, until today, ventured into "Off topic".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    We need someone who will stop such rubbish being posted, not the rubish posters them selves, I still think SatStorm is on the money
    You can't "Stop" something being posted. Moderators can only react, not prevent. Unless they just ban posters on suspicion.

Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    @ AlanHK
    Check your profile, some one has been using your account, there are 17 posts in the OT by AlanHK, I thought I might mention it since you said:
    I've been here 3 years and never, until today, ventured into "Off topic".
    I'll take your word for it. But as I never browse the O-T forum, I must have got to the thread directly, by a link or search and never noticed which forum the post I was replying to was in. So I missed all the spicy gossip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK, since you are not active on the Off Topic section, let those who are involved talk and discuss about it.
    I'll be glad to read your suggestions and propositions regarding the subforums that you are active.

And yes, we can't stop something being posted. But we can cut down the chances to have to.

So, on topic: Have you any suggestions to do, for new moderators?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    AlanHK, since you are not active on the Off Topic section, let those who are involved talk and discuss about it.
    I moderate in a very lively forum where these issues have come up and been addressed so I thought I would share my experience.

So, on topic: Have you any suggestions to do, for new moderators?
    I did, above.

I suggest that if you want to have a private conversation, that you do it via PM, and not in a public forum. If you object to my posts, please feel free to report me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When i say suggestions, I mean names. Members.
    (that's another example, of how one language translated to another can lead to misunderstandings).
    About off topic, we have another post now. We can talk about it there.

In this post, it would be good to have member suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  14. WTF, I'll nominate myself {American}

Hell I just want to read the mod forum and everything yado has said about me me private.....that should be a couple years of laughs

Bait.....bait....hook um?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Moderator.......... the job everyone wants until they actually get it.

I'll second stilts nomination and suggest that he immediately ban Yoda. :P

Ahh damn i miss the good aold days of picking on Yoda, posting nudy pics and generally having a good time.

Moderator for off-topic? pfffffffffft... Nothing to moderate.

Good thing we didn't have this fancy video tag... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So, I'll suggest again to Baldrick the termination of the specific subforum, since it only brings trouble, lead the forum to non technical subjects, it is not international, and has members that spend their lifes posting there all the time, with no other reason to be around. (yeah, I know, I'm a joy killer, so what? )
    Could be a site killer too. Off topic is essential to any forum if you want people coming back regularly especially when you're dealing with such a narrow subject.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by thecoalman

I'll second stilts nomination and suggest that he immediately ban Yoda. :P
    I wouldn't ban him right away

OK that is an inside joke between mods.....Yes at the time, not sure about now, mods could ban each other. So one mod banned another.....too funny...

However, Thanks for the vote Coalman...long live COLD winters
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll throw my hat in the ring.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jimmalenko, you could be a really nice addition. We need someone from Australia around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Faustus is really back, then I think that there are enough mods. He has been one of the best mods in terms of diplomacy and knowledge. As a close second, I'd go with offline. Though he sometimes moderated in sort of a jerk mode, he was great at explaining his position and clearing up misunderstandings.

Shock and awe: I'll throw myself in as a suggestion.

On behalf of those who have derailed this thread, I offer my sincerest apologies to freebird. I have been on the receiving end of a ton of junk (especially lately), but it has not caused me to stalk members nor to post threats of death or violence. Those go well beyond a "thin line", as some may imply.

People have to learn to roll with the punches, since they are harmless on a message board. I think that the current mods (BJ_M, Faustus, redwudz and mats) are very good at not taking posts personally. If we could get someone who will keep the same (mostly) clinical detachment to the boards and members, that would be the best outcome.

I also agree that there should be more international mods, though more for variety's sake. It doesn't matter where the person is from: A proficient moderator can be that way from any location or origin.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman
    Suuuuurvey says....

BUZZ!!!! X!!!

WRONG!!!!!!

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    If Faustus is really back, then I think that there are enough mods.
    Faustus has been posting in offtopic lately. Haven't seen him anywhere else though. Of course he could be happy working behind the scenes.

On behalf of those who have derailed this thread, I offer my sincerest apologies to freebird.
    Nothing to apologize for. There was some negative posts in this thread but honestly I expected some. Even though the thread started to go off track most posters were able to keep this thread on track after I requested that we stay on topic.

I also agree that there should be more international mods, though more for variety's sake. It doesn't matter where the person is from: A proficient moderator can be that way from any location or origin.
    I also agree that an "international" mod would be good but I still can't think of a good one to suggest. No I'll take that back. Actually I do think that jimmalenko would make a good mod.

I'm gonna also put in for edDV again. That guy is one of the most helpful & patient persons I've seen.

Ultimately like another poster said, the decision is Baldricks. If he does choose a new mod it will be who he feels would be best.

My whole point for this thread was just to see who the community thought would be a good mod.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, for a mod, I wouldn't like an Off Topic frequenter. We tried that in the past and failed misserable.

What this forum needs, is a dedicated video enthusiast, newbie friendly, with passion about our hobby, understanding of international culture, and a wide knowledge of laws, outside of the USA. Someone which understand the new needs of our scene and knows how to deal against the traps of the Big Ones.
    I would not count out anyone who frequents Off Topic. On the contrary, it seems that someone who actively participates (outside of the Word Association) and posts new threads in OT would be more suited as a mod. People who frequent OT tend to have thicker skins and generally have a better sense of humor about these boards. While we don't want a robot as a mod, there is a certain detachment that someone with a decent sense of humor can bring to the position. In fact, someone with too much passion may be wrong for the job, as they may take simple opinions personally (favorite brands, + vs -, etc.).

For the record, there was only one mod culled from OT, and he was an excellent mod up until the end. Sometimes it's not as much a "fail(ure)" as their term has run it's course. Everyone is only human. Their posting habits shouldn't be a symptom nor a cause for their faults, just as a person's geographic location shouldn't make them any better or worse a candidate for mod.

As far as people from OT scaring off the newbies, that's (almost) completely untrue. As a matter of fact, sometimes they even bring them back.

=============================

I will also second the nomination for stiltman, with the provision that he immediately reinstate jeex (who is not jaxxboss).

I will also second and third my own nomination.

Fortunately for most of us, this thread isn't Official anyway :P
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I will also second the nomination for stiltman, with the provision that he immediately reinstate jeex (who is not jaxxboss).

Jeex would have a field day with this. :P

Jaxxboss would have farted on this thread by now.

If you and/or Stiltman are fool enough to want the job, I'll second (or fourth) the nominations.

As to edDV, nah, he's like a.... um....professor emeritus or something here. He shouldn't have to soil his hands with Mod duties.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My brother is a cop. I'd rather not be one.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by fritzi93

Jeex would have a field day with this. :P

Jaxxboss would have farted on this thread by now.

If you and/or Stiltman are fool enough to want the job, I'll second (or fourth) the nominations.
    I wouldn't make a good mod outside of OT and Computers...I don't know enough
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, moderators don't really need to know about the subject which they are moderating. It helps a bit, but you would be a moderator, not customer service. The purpose of these boards and regular members is to help people with questions. The moderator is basically the janitor, police, referee and bouncer.

There are often moderators and even judges IRL who know nothing about the subject which they are reviewing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, moderators don't really need to know about the subject which they are moderating. It helps a bit, but you would be a moderator, not customer service. The purpose of these boards and regular members is to help people with questions. The moderator is basically the janitor, police, referee and bouncer.

There are often moderators and even judges IRL who know nothing about the subject which they are reviewing.
    I agree with Supreme2k,

This is not a new board where we depend on the moderators to be experts in everything. A few years ago I joined a new board and the moderators were disinterested and/or lacked subject matter knowledge and rarely commented. The site could not survive that because the membership was small and people rarely returned when questions weren't answered.

Videohelp is a mature board with many involved members of varied expertize who participate regularly as can be seen by how few if any questions go unanswered. On top of that there are always areas where one doesn't have to be the resident expert to comment especially when it involves your own experience on a matter.

If you lack knowledge in the mechanics of moderating a board, ie.. editing posts, moving threads etc... I'm sure that if you have some familiarity with using your computer that skill could be easily acquired with help from an existing mod to teach you.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The job does come with this nifty teeshirt. But Baldrick never explained what it says .
    Probably something in Swedish like you are a important person.

Really, a Moderator spends most of their time moving posts around and correcting minor rules infractions and banning spammers.
    We have a number of members that might be suitable for a position, but that's up to Baldrick.
    Quote Quote