VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys

Are there any quality free or inexpensive editing programs out there that will enable me to edit dv avi's but with some of teh following features?

essentially, i need to be able to:

effect levels and saturation to selective parts of each video file (ie not just whole file)
    add opening titles
    make cuts
    then output as mpeg in preparation for becoming a dvd

i aks since i hate using video 10 which is tool sluggish and keeps crashing!

ideally i'd love tmpg to have something like pinnacle i guess but i dont think they do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoStudio Pro X2
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    devdev, bear in mind with Vegas Movie Studio (even the Platinum version) that your mpeg2 encoding options are severely crippled (basically all you have is a 3-tier "Fair"/"Good"/"Best" quality option).

This may be fine for you, but if you want more manual control over your output, I suggest take a look at Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus. You can order it for $59 from amazon (make sure to get the boxed version!). It uses the Mainconcept mpeg2 encoder and has full manual controls, plus is a highly-featured editing suite incl. titler etc.

There are no viable free options, unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you both very much

really appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ive downloaded movie edit pro and it looks the ticket but the only think i cant seem to do it adjust portions of a video for say brightness rather than just adjusting the whole video. can it do this?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To brighten part of a video, without changing all of it, your options are to:

1) Split the clip with the dark sequence, isolating the part you want to lighten, and apply the filter or effect to that section,

or

2) Find or buy a software product that provides "key-framing" so that you can apply gradual increments and changes to a particular clip.

There might be some freeware that does 2, but the trouble of integrating it to other ware for your overall project, plus the quality loss of double-recoding to get to your final file, are more of a bother. Furthermore, I am not aware of any freeware that allows application of more than one filter or effect to a given sequence. Thus, you can change brightness, gain, saturation, or color balance, but not a combination thereof, without processing and exporting multiple times. Folks more adept at freeware may have a more refined opinion. I find it more simple to fork out a few $ and get an all-in-one product.
    Quote Quote