VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

Long time reader, first time writer.

The problem I am having to re syncing the audio in an avi file. The file was created using Auto GK (from a DVD movie dycrypted using DVD Dycrypter).

I am in the process of converting many of my DVD into 700mb files in order to create a library inside of Window Media Center (MCE). For the most part the DVD's I rip come out fine, with no issues to speak of. However every so often (1 in 4), the newly created avi files are created with an out of sync audio track. The Audio seems to be playing to early, sometimes it is one a second, other times in it seven or more.

I have read a few posting expalining how to fix this problem. And followed the instructions given to the best of my abilty, but I am sad to say the I am unable to fix any of the rips with out of suyc audio.

Below is a rundown of what I have tried. Perhaps someone might be able to tell me where I am going wrong, or perhaps even suggest a much better for my needs.

Windows Media Classic
    Play > Audio Options > Internal Filters > Audio Time Shift > (enter amount) > Apply
    No noticable change to the audio sync.

Window Movie Maker.
    I was able to dublicate the audio track and shift it to where I want it to be. The problem with this is a) they are in wmv format and b) they are WAY to large (around four gigs)

VirtualDub
    Audio > Interleave > Adjust skew > (enter amount) > Video > Compression > Codec
    also
    Audio > Interleave > Adjust skew > (enter amount) > Video > Direct Stream Copy > Save
    Again no noticable change to the audio sync.

VirtualDubMod
    I couldnt find the option to adjust audio sync

Cuttermaran
    Doesnt seem to accept avi files.

Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In VDMod, 'Streams>Stream list'. R click on on the stream and select 'Interleaving'. It's under 'Audio skew correction'. 1 second=1000ms

What you might be running into during ripping is some video right before the main movie and that's where/when the audio begins. That will change the length of the audio and throw it out of sync when it's not included. Decrypter is probably skipping it and that could cause your problem. Or not.

That type of sync loss can be corrected by a offset. Another type of sync loss is gradual loss during playback. That's a bit harder to fix. Get a combination of both, and throw in VBR audio, like when you paste together some videos, and it really gets complex.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ajedale
    Again no noticable change to the audio sync.
    What kinds of numbers are you testing and setting? As redwudz says, 1000ms=1 sec. If you only test with 20-30 ms, then of course you won't notice anything. Those methods you used do work if you use them correctly.

If you decrypted properly to begin with, the chances are very good you'd never have the problem. That being said though, it's very easy to fix, assuming it's a constant asynch (off by the same amount all the way through).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great!

Its always the little things you end up overlooking. The 1000ms=1 sec was the problem.

Thx for all the help
    Quote Quote