VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an RCA VCR/DVD Recorder DRC8300N. Up until about 2 months ago everything would record, but now when I place a disk into the DVD Recorder it gives me an error and won't finalize the disk. I have tried new disk and get the same message. It will still play DVD's but will not record. What could be wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD laser/pickup may have died in the burner drive.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The lasers in DVD burners do eventually wear out as LS said. Five years is actually a very good run if the DVD recorder was used on a regular basis. If the drive is making a lot of noise, you might try taking the DVD drive apart and cleaning the spindle as well as the lens. (Sometimes if the disc is slipping, it interferes with finalization.) Here's a link describing the process for a Panasonic recorder http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

If that doesn't help it probably is the laser. In that case, I think it's probably time to think about getting yourself a new DVD recorder. Unfortunately it's almost always difficult to obtain a replacement DVD drive for DVD recorders from the maker or have the drive repaired, and I don't recall seeing your model mentioned as one of those that can accept an off-the-shelf PC DVD drive as a replacement.
    Quote Quote