VideoHelp Forum
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I'm having trouble reinstalling the ffmpegX program after I removed it a few days ago. Here are the steps which I took and the result of it. I have a 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 with Mac OSX 10.5.7, a 74.4 GB HD, and 768 MB of RAM.

*Please note that I'm totally new with video and audio file formats and have no knowledge on coding. When I first installed ffmpegX on the same computer mentioned above, everything went well but not on my second install.

STEP 1: Deleting ffmpegX after 1st time install

I used Apple Cleaner to delete the program. Here are the results on what was removed:

The application "ffmpegX version 0.0.9y" and "all accompanying documents" (ReadMe.rtf, LisezMoi.rtf, Leggimi.rtf, Credits.rtf, ffmpegX manual.webloc) that came with the original ffmpegX.dmg which I downloaded from ffmpegX site. These items where in a folder called ffmpegX in my application folder.

The preference file "com.mac.homepage.major4.ffmpegX.plist"
    This came from the ~/Library/Preferences.

A folder called ffmpegX that resided in /Library/Application Support/
    The contents were these Unix executable files: mencoder, mpeg2enc, mplayer

I made sure I deleted the files in the trash bin and restarted the computer.

STEP 2: Reinstalled ffmpegX version 0.0.9y

I downloaded a new ffmpegX.dmg file from the ffmpegX site making sure it was version 0.0.9y
    When the the disk image was decompressed, I copied its contents (ffmpegX application and accompanying documents) in a new folder called ffmpeg X in my applications folder.

I then went back to the site and read the manual on what else to download. It instructed me to download the binaries mencoder, mplayer, and mpeg2enc.intel (ctrl-clicked the link given) from the links provided. All was downloaded to my desktop.

STEP 3: Finish reinstallation

I doubled clicked on the ffmpegX app and the installer window came up asking me to locate the missing binaries that I downloaded. After indicating the location of these files (in my desktop) using the browse button, I used my login password and pressed install

After waiting for a few minutes a window opened up and gave this message:

The installation was not successful.
    ##connect to address "IP address 1": Operation timed out
    Trying "IP address 2"...
    connect to address "IP address 2": Connection refused
    Trying "IP address 2"...
    connect to address "IP address 1": Connection refused

The lines pertaining to connecting to the 2 addresses above repeated about five times on the same window and allways came with a "Connection refused" result. After that, the ending message on the window is as follows:

/Application/Video.hsd1.state.comcast.net: Operation timed out
    tar(child):/Applications/ffmpegX/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/mux.tgz: Cannot open: (null)
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file /Applications/ffmpegX/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/gnutar: Child returned status 2
    /Applications/ffmpegX/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/gnutar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

What do I do now?

DDiego1000

Search Comp PM
    The installer should not have to connect to any IP address. Trying to connect to an earthlink.net IP (207.69.131.9) is very weird.

/Application/Video.hsd1.state.comcast.net is also unknown to me.

Puzzling...

--
    Edit:
    I can think of two things that can cause this.
    1/ Another application is sending these connection messages. Is something running in the background?
    2/ You downloaded a trojan-infected version. Unlikely (high profile commercial software would be more likely) and never reported (news would have spread), but possible. The file on the official site is the same as I used to install ffmpegX some time ago, with these hash checksums:
    SFV (CRC-32): 9A95D47D
    MD5: 0aad2e8176798ba677a63097611ffd21
    SHA-1: 8ad550c983178b290f4b7b3626133cdd2d24958e
    .dmg file size: 33,760,087 bytes