VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I'm new here, and my problem is:

I can't play subtitles in my lacie lacinema classic.

Some subtitles can play with the AVI's and some others don't. I try many formats of subtitles, SSA, SUB, SMI and SRT. Most of the movies play the subtitles but some others can't.

I hope that u can help me with this trouble, because I try searchng an answer like 3 hours without luck.

Thx in advance for helping me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with that device. But if some types of them do work, then simply use the type that works. For example, if srt subs work, then just ensure you only use srt files.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

That's the format I try, but I can't see them already. Well, this Lacie reproduce the movie and in the info frame to change subtitle says that the subtitles are charged, but I can't see them, in the other movies I can see them but in some others don't. All subtitle are SRT.

Well thx for your post I hope somebody can help me with this.

Thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If some srt files work, and others don't. Then there is an issue with your srt files. Try using SRTwiz or Subtitle Workshop to fix your files.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I'm about to buy one of these - and your post worries me as I require subtitles as have partial hearing.

However i've come accross your problem on other dvd players and similar and hopefully its easily sorted.

Make sure that the .srt files match exactly the name of the avi file - eg groundhogday.avi - subtitle should be groundhogday.srt
    some srt files will have the language in them. I'm not saying this is the definite answer - but it has worked for me - so will be interesting to hear if that fixes the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem, avi & srt files are exactly the same name so that ain't the problem.
    Can anybody help? The subtitles seem to be working on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my posts above. There is something different or wrong with your srt files. Testing on a computer doesn't prove anything.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK i'll try this tonight
    Thanks for help, stay tuned!

Thought I had a problem with Lacie, because with vobsub or Videolan there where no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, i'm experiencing the same problem with the subtitles and i've tried both srtwix and subtitles workshop..i'm really baffled about this thing..any more clues?
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the bug!

LaCie Classic doesn't show srt files biggers than 100k.

Cut one and try it again...

(but who wanna watch a movie with half subtitles file?)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Two options:
    1- Reconvert the AVI and embed the subs
    2- Split the AVI and the subs in two parts

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about converting the subs to a format that could end up with less than 100k, like .srt->.sub?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom_Joad
    What about converting the subs to a format that could end up with less than 100k, like .srt->.sub?
    OK, there's a third option (never thought that it was possible to make sub files even smaller than plain text).
    Just downloaded a simple srt 2 sub converter (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/srt2sub.html) and it reduced a srt of 79 kB to 56 kB

ps.
    Found the following explenation on the web:
    SRT > SRT is basically a text-format file with the subtitles timed according to frames or milliseconds.
    SUB > They are not text-based. In fact, they are stamped images that overlay the video-picture.

Is that correct
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried that. It didn't work. My Lacie LaCinema Classic doesn't load .srt subtitles over 100k and .sub over the converted 100k size to .sub.

I know how to split a divx and the subtitles, using different programs. Question is: is there a single software that splits both the video and the subtitle files and adjust the subtitles timings?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by SARK
    Found the following explenation on the web:
    SRT > SRT is basically a text-format file with the subtitles timed according to frames or milliseconds.
    SUB > They are not text-based. In fact, they are stamped images that overlay the video-picture.

Is that correct :?:
    The first part is. Just open an SRT file with notepad and you'll see.

There are several different types of subtitles that use .SUB as an extension. Some are plain text, some are graphics. If you have subtitles that come as a SUB and IDX pair the graphics are in the SUB file and the timing information in the IDX file.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, what did you guys to solve this problem? Im having some troubles too.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to all

I'm knew here also, and i have the same problem.

My question is: Instead of changing the format of subtitles (because I have a lot of movies that my drive can not read) there is some firmware that can solve the problem? like increasing the capacity of lecture, no matter what the size or the type of format.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. I just tried to install the new firmware version (1.31) and it works fine also with .srt files bigger than 100k.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

I've just installed firmware 1.31.

Problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  20. very helpful thank you.
    Last edited by gambit077; 19th Mar 2010 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    The issue i have is quite different.
    My Lacie ( running firmware 1.31), can read fine subtitle .srt, but it can read just one for a given movie.

My intention was to offer subtitles in various languages, but the Lacie is able to manage only the first one.

Exemple. I put those in a folder :

Mymovie.avi
    Mymovie.EN.srt
    Mymovie.FR.srt
    Mymovie.SPA.srt

When i launch Mymovie, LaCie let me choose between the 3 subtitle files, but if i choose something else than the first one (ie
    Mymovie.EN.srt) it won't work at all.

If i try with the menu "i" on the remote neither.

This message is more for information, as i don't think there's any fix available for this bug so far.

Cu
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,
    i have one laacie lacinema classic hd 2tb, and when i was trying to pull some filles to him, i plug one external disc to him ...and since then had experience troubles..
    already contact lacie' s support center, with no feedback...
    i'm hear that the dir files are corrupted, but the firmware is updated, and there's no way to restore the device, didn't back up the original dir files...
    what i ask if somebody have the original dir files needed to lacie's lacinema classic hd, cause i think is more than the solution to my problem...please assistence is needed...thanks
    Quote Quote