VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Although computer literate, I'm new to video editing, have started to use Avidemux to synchronise audio, after capturing vhs tapes to hdd in avi format using Arcsoft Showbiz2 together with Leadtek VC100U video editor. Having managed to synchronise ok, am finding it confusing to Save the edited video. Have tried to do so in video/audio COPY mode, but only part of the total footage is saved properly, however 17 additional files were created with the same file name/ext(ie .avi01 - avi17) but with the usual icon indication that Windows doesn't recognise it(see attached gif image). I then tried saving the edited file in dvd(lavc) & dvd(mpeg2enc) but that didn't work either.
    I would be grateful for some basic info, since I'm only likely to want to capture vhs to hdd in avi, edit audio sync/further edit in Showbiz2 & burn to dvd.
    Any help will be appreciated, thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First "AVI" is non descriptive. It is a container not a codec. Do you mean DV.AVI or uncompressed or divx? Or other?

Most edit programs allow marking a start and end point on the timeline for encoding. For DVD you would encode to MPeg2.

Rather than exporting one long file, you can export encoded clips (called assets) and assemble them in your DVD authoring program.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    First "AVI" is non descriptive. It is a container not a codec. Do you mean DV.AVI or uncompressed or divx? Or other?

Most edit programs allow marking a start and end point on the timeline for encoding. For DVD you would encode to MPeg2.

Rather than exporting one long file, you can export encoded clips (called assets) and assemble them in your DVD authoring program.
    The avi is the uncompressed format resulting from the raw capturing of the vhs tape, the files are huge 70GB! the start end point you mentioned is interesting, I'll investigate, the audio sync problem occurs throughout the footage, so I thought it made sense to save the whole file, however the timeline may have caused only part to be saved. Many thanks for your response
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zulubase
    Originally Posted by edDV

The avi is the uncompressed format resulting from the raw capturing of the vhs tape, the files are huge 70GB! the start end point you mentioned is interesting, I'll investigate, the audio sync problem occurs throughout the footage, so I thought it made sense to save the whole file, however the timeline may have caused only part to be saved. Many thanks for your response
    Problem is the video capture through the Leadtech has no means of synchronization with the audio captured through your audio card. If either video or audio is being compressed during capture, one can introduce delay or rate non-sync errors.

I'm not the best to suggest a PC solution. Since 1997 or so I've been capturing audio and video using capture cards that process audio and video together and internally manage sync. The first was an MJPeg + uncompressed audio solution. Today I rely on a Canopus ADVC-100 for capture to DV format and a Hauppauge PVR-350 for capture to MPeg2. I also use an SDI adapter for capture of uncompressed pro video. To that path I can add a BlackMagic analog to SDI converter.

An alternative to the Canopus ADVC is a DV format camcorder with analog pass through capability.

Maybe others have had more success with the Leadtech tuner. I haven't used the Archsoft or Avidemux apps enough to help.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for that info, appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have sorted the audio sync problem ok with Avidemux 2.4.4, but although the file is being saved that should be 2hours 39minutes, only 9minutes of good normal footage is saved! In addition, what was interesting/frustrating, was that the TIME indicator(underneath A & B) was correct(2hours 30+minutes) & although one could draw the slide from left right across to the right, the video footage came to an end at the 9minute peg! I then discovered 'Properties' & something strange, the FILE SIZE at the bottom of the list shows 1613MB(should be 68+GB) which would explain the 9minutes only of normal video footage. The TOTAL DURATION shows 2hrs 39+minutes, which is correct - am at a complete loss. Have tried version 2.4.4 & 2.5 & ready to try again once things start to add up(re the File Size etc) must be missing some basics, any help will be appreciated, thanks
    Quote Quote