VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    For a while now i have been trying to access this one website which can be accessed on other computers apart from this one..
    For example if i use firefox it will hang for a good 5 minutes then say 'The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.' Internet explorer says 'The page cannot be displayed'
    It has said this for months now but only on this PC.
    I tried pinging the website and it said it got a reply from the websites ip but after that iot said: 'Destination Port Unreachable' As it does this with all my browsers it makes me think it could be an issue with my router...

Is there any ports i could forward or something or a way round this issue.. It's very annoying!
    It may also be usefful for you to know that after pinging i am getting Sent Pasckets 4, Recieved = 4 and lost = 0 i dont know if thats any help?

Also pinging the IP itself i am getting a reply but the port is unreachable...

Please help me.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1- if all computers are going through the same router it is not the router.
    2- it could be your firewall that is blocking dangerous websites from running script, also it could be content blocking in the browser.
    3- after you ping the name or website put the ip address in the address bar see if it goes there. if it does you have dns issues. right click on network icon and left click on repair see what it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

This pc that doesnt work with the website is only being run on 1 router...the router is only working with this pc...

The pc in the room next door has its own connection and works with the site absolutely fine.

I had no firewall enabled at the time either it was disabled aswell as my antivirus protection (NOD32) i even stopped it in services.

I put the IP of the website in my address bar and it sitll hangs and then says cannot find..this applies to I.E and FF and even K-Meleon!

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Destination Port Unreachable" simply means that the web server has ping requests turned off. It's definitely something to do with the router IMO.

Is it possible that the website might use a non-standard port (something other than 80) ?

What happens if you open up all ports for the web server's IP Address on your router ?

I presume that other websites work fine through the router ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

How do i open up all ports for the web server's IP Address on the router?

Every site seems to work apart from this particular one... Well all the other sites i know of anyway there could be more that wouldn't...

Thanks 4 yr help m8
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SE14man
    How do I open up all ports for the web server's IP Address on the router?
    That depends on what model router you have. Every router I've ever known has a firewall component, and more often than not everything is locked down except for the basics, like ports 80 and 443 for Internet, Incoming Mail port 110, Outgoing mail port 25 etc etc.

Do you have a seperate router and modem or are they both the same device ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Yeah i think theyre the same device its a D-Link 504-T and i do have to forward ports for my FTP because otherwise i get very slow transfer rates..

How would i go about getting a modem anyway? I'm talking about a direct cable line without using this router business....
    I rememebr i used to have a cable modem with BT in England which i had a dynamic IP with.
    I am with Itel, they are my ISP would i need to request a cable modem form them if i wanted to switch over or can i just buy a standard cable modem and use it with this internet? I vagually remember trying it before but if i remember rightly it was hard coded only for bigpond.. i could be wrong though!

Do let me know further on this website thing though as it's really bugging me!

Do appreciate your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Manual for that router - ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-504T-GenII/Manuals/DSL-504T_GenII_Manual.pdf

Seems there's a section on URL and domain blocking that would be worth checking out. Also it may offer other suggestions regarding what you need to do because I don't think it's a port forwarding issue, moreso just an access issue point blank.

Port forwarding tute for that router - http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-504T/default.htm

However be very careful when poking big holes in your firewall.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank u very much for them links...
    Now this is very bizarre im reading the manual and i cant get into the URL & Domain Bocking section on the router because it's under a section called 'Parent Control' on the advanced tab which isnt on my one...
    I do have the advanced tab but no Parent Control section..

Ill have a good look through it tomorrow and let u know how i go with it.

Thanks again 4 yr help
    Quote Quote  
  10. Bypass the router see if it connects. Or connect another computer in it's place to check the router. you have to be 100% sure of every step. Routers have a reset button on the back if you want to reset it but password and setting will change to factory setting make sure you know the default password and how to setup the router.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive just noticed on the router firewall settings they seem to be on...

Would it help if i turned them off temporarily?
    It wouldnt affect or misconfigure any settings or anything would it?

Please let me know if you think this could help..

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on hi-speed cable via modem with a wired 4 port router. Recently, I was having issues with slow connections, timeouts and a few sites that couldn't be reached. Same msg as you in FF 'The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.' The speed tests became erratic with most showing much slower results than the rated bandwidth of my service level. I bypassed the router and connected directly to the cable modem and everything worked fine. I bought a new wireless N router and disabled the wireless mode since I still use it wired for now. It was clearly a router problem or its powerpack. All the problems are gone and everything works as it should.

You shouldn't have to reduce your security and open or forward ports just to browse a site.

As suggested by INFRATOM try bypassing the router. This should help eliminate it as the cause. If that works then I suggest changing the router.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure your network adapter is functioning properly then if it is reset the router to default configuration and reenter all user information.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If this computer is the only computer on the router, you don't need the router just take it out and connect computer directly to the network cable. Use the computer firewall for now. cheap routers use firewall on the computer anyway. It is possible that this website is blocked by some sort of virus or spyware. You need to give detailed info what website are going, your configuration etc. There are so many possibilities.
    If you rule out the router and other outside computer possibilities and you would be messing more than 2 hours unsuccessfully consider reformating your computer would be like the first day and without viruses. One other thing you can do download Ubuntu burn it to a disc and boot that computer with Ubuntu it works right there and see if the problem is from inside or outside.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I cant just unplug this router i dont think and then plug the cable direct into the pc because the router is a dsl one and has its own build in modem i think!
    I have from England an old BT Voyager Cable Modem would it work with that including the drivers or are these modems hard coded? If so is there a way to bypass the hard coding?
    Basically i htink i just wnana do away with this modem router seeing as there's no use for it as this is the only pc it's connected to!

Please let me know...

Thanks 4 all yr help btw guys
    Quote Quote  
  16. Please describe your internet connection equipment in detail. It would have saved time if you had explained the other PC were on seperate connection/router.

What is the model number of the "dsl modem/router". It would have saved time if you had explained the modem and router were the same box.

A cable modem and a DSL modem require a fundamentally different input connection. One will have a coax jack, the other an RJ11 phone port. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.

Can you take the suspect PC to the "other room" to bypass the current router for testing?

Have you upgraded the firmware on the router?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do apoligise.....

I have only a D-Link DSL-504T. from what ive been told yes the RJ11 is the phone end and the computer end is RJ45 or something..

I have done no firmware upgrades on it what so ever?
    Would it help do you think?

Is there any harm in doing away with this router and using a standard cable modem such as my BT Voyager one form england or are these modems hard coded? It's not something id need to take up with my ISP isit?
    Can i just plug the modem into the PC, install the drivers and off it goes?

But yeah this one im using is definately a D-Link DSL-504-T.

Thanks mate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the obvious thing first? If the problem is only happening with one site and there are no other faulty connection symptoms then it's possible that the site is blocked in your browser's security settings. In FF 3.xx check "Tools/security/exceptions" and see if that url is in the list as a blocked site. If it is blocked, the FF browser will return the exact same message. IE has a similar list also under the privacy settings.

There are other addons and separate security/parental tools that will block access to any given url but only you know what is installed on that PC.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Firmware upgrades generally don't hurt, and often solve strange problems.

Checking security settings or site-blocking software would be a good idea.

If you remove the router/DSL modem, in order to replace it with the cable modem you will need to change to cable internet service. Do you have both available? If so, why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to mention...
    Last night i went onto D-Links help site and it said reduce the MTU packet size on the router settings to osmething below 1500 so i kept changing it in tens downwards and it didnt help at all.
    It said if it doesnt help download TCP Optimiser and tweak it that way which i am no way going to do as it means changing the registry.. I have no idea what im doing..

I am getting this problem with all my browsers.. I.E, FF, K-Meleon...
    I have reset all their settings too...

Woul;d i really have to change my internet to cable?
    What i want connected to this PC is somethingl ike this: http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/_images/products/BT_Voyager_100_L.jpg
    Could i not just change this Modem router i have and use that one in the picture without needing to take it up with my I.S.P?

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have not, you could try restarting your DSL router/modem by unplugging it's power adapter for 30 seconds. I also recommend you do the following while the modem is disconected:

Code:
    Start->Run-> type:
    cmd [press enter]
    you will get a window with a command prompt (looks like the old DOS)

at the prompt, type the following:
    Code:
    IPCONFIG /flushdns [press enter]
    Plug the DSL router/modem power back in and let it reconnect.

Restarting the modem/router will flush its DNS cache, if it has one. The second action will flush the DNS cache kept by Windows. Although rare, these can become corrupt and fail to update.

One final option might be to try and access the site though a proxy. Many free proxies are available, although they tend to be very slow. I don't use them myself, but maybe others can point you to some working ones.

[edit:]
    I forgot to mention...
    Last night i went onto D-Links help site and it said reduce the MTU packet size on the router settings to osmething below 1500 so i kept changing it in tens downwards and it didnt help at all.
    I would put that back to it's default value unless your connection is really unstable.

Woul;d i really have to change my internet to cable?
    Call your ISP or check its website to see if they support retail modems, or if you are required to get the modem through them. At the very least your ISP should swap the unit for you if it is malfunctioning.

If you are connection only one computer, all you need is a DSL modem that will work with your ISP. If you do change the unit, it will require you to call the ISP because the MAC address of the modem will change. A MAC address is something like an IP address, except it is unique and hardcoded into every modem/NIC/router/etc. Even if you are connecting only one computer, I recommend getting a router, as it provides an additional layer of security. If you want a router, you could get separate modem and router units, or a combo unit.

I have rambled on enough now... better stop, otherwise I might fill an entire page.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Pinpoint the problem in less than 5 minutes. Connect the PC to the router in the other room. If it works, its in the router, if it does not work, it is in the PC itself. Eliminates a LOT of guesswork.

I will try to type this next part very slowly.

You have a DSL modem, which connect thru a phone cable to the ISP. A Cable modem would connect thru a Coax cable to the ISP. This would be a different ISP, and a different cable. Swapping them on the PC side is easy.
    Quote Quote