VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to everyone.
    Just bought Canon HF S10 last week. Of course I like it. But I've realized that it records files with mts extension. Before I’ve used mostly win movie maker (in Vista & in XP) for edtitng files in different format from different cameras, because it’s very easy to use. But still I have Adobe Premiere CS3. Now I’ve decided to try Premier (good camera needs good software), but! Premier can’t open mts files (error: file format not supported). I have this in win vista premium. I didn’t try to use Premier on XP machine because that machine is not powerful enough. Movie maker on vista machine can’t open mts files if I simple drag them to the window, but it opens same files if I use “import”. I know that Sony vegas can open those mts files (I have it), but still I would like to find how to open them in Premier as well. I don’t believe that such advanced software like Premier not able to work with mts files. I think that I’m simple missing something. What? Can anyone help me to find the answer please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. native avchd support was added in cs4

cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by h.k.
    Hi to everyone.
    Just bought Canon HF S10 last week. Of course I like it. But I've realized that it records files with mts extension. Before I’ve used mostly win movie maker (in Vista & in XP) for edtitng files in different format from different cameras, because it’s very easy to use. But still I have Adobe Premiere CS3. Now I’ve decided to try Premier (good camera needs good software), but! Premier can’t open mts files (error: file format not supported). I have this in win vista premium. I didn’t try to use Premier on XP machine because that machine is not powerful enough. Movie maker on vista machine can’t open mts files if I simple drag them to the window, but it opens same files if I use “import”. I know that Sony vegas can open those mts files (I have it), but still I would like to find how to open them in Premier as well. I don’t believe that such advanced software like Premier not able to work with mts files. I think that I’m simple missing something. What? Can anyone help me to find the answer please?
    You are so beyond expectations and beyond your hardware (if your computer profile)

Look at this parallel universe Mac thread. Same issues
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368329.html

I don't want to start over.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another way to get the footage into Premiere is to use the avs import plugin , using avisynth scripts. The new version of plugin works with all versions of Premiere.

edDV is right; you're not going to be able to edit properly even if you could import it, if your listed specs are correct - scrubbing and navigating is going to be a chore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He may be able to but with digital intermediate.

Why do the people selling these formats expect others to help the 2% that get this far. After you explain the issues they never proceed to the next level.

So why bother?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's so true, edDV. AVCHD format cameras are perfect for the "Soccer Mom", but not the best format for the video editing type.....

I agree that his best option is to use Intermediate codecs and proxy editing. A guy on hv20.com wrote a neat little program that can create both the intermediate and smaller proxies using ffmpeg with batch support.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=25044
    Latest version of his Batch Intermediate Creator:
    http://www.westernwoodstructures.com/video/Batch_Intermediate_Creator-v14.zip

He also wrote a Proxy swapping utility:
    http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=25338
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to edDV, that's what I'm curious about, too. I always shoot at the highest bitrates there are (FH, 16mb/s), but after importing a trove of *.mts from a Sony HDR-SR12, even with a quad-Core Duo ersatz on which Premiere CS4 or Vegas 8c (which can natively open these) is installed, even just scrubbing a native AVCHD-filled timeline is a painful chore no matter how optimized (defragged, separate SATA drives, NO other programs, 4GB system memory, etc.) the PC is. True, the only realistic way (as fast as it was in DV-AVI days) is by using an intermediate such as cineform.
    In an events meeting where I noticed two other guys were using HD camcorders (one Canon HV20 and the other a Sony SR10) they told me they were aware of HD complexities and to get around that they have have ever only used their camcorders at SD settings. They certainly were NOT part of the 2% you talk about that got this far.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x
    That's so true, edDV. AVCHD format cameras are perfect for the "Soccer Mom", but not the best format for the video editing type.....
    Seriously? Just because some people don't want to lug a GL2 with them while on vacation in Europe?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by turk690
    to edDV, that's what I'm curious about, too. I always shoot at the highest bitrates there are (FH, 16mb/s), but after importing a trove of *.mts from a Sony HDR-SR12, even with a quad-Core Duo ersatz on which Premiere CS4 or Vegas 8c (which can natively open these) is installed, even just scrubbing a native AVCHD-filled timeline is a painful chore no matter how optimized (defragged, separate SATA drives, NO other programs, 4GB system memory, etc.) the PC is. True, the only realistic way (as fast as it was in DV-AVI days) is by using an intermediate such as cineform.
    In an events meeting where I noticed two other guys were using HD camcorders (one Canon HV20 and the other a Sony SR10) they told me they were aware of HD complexities and to get around that they have have ever only used their camcorders at SD settings. They certainly were NOT part of the 2% you talk about that got this far.
    the dude with the hv10/20/30/40 didn't have a clue. HDV edits in vegas realtime with no problem on any current multicore cpu. i use them shooting 30p and editing is a dream. i wouldn't shoot any other HD format at this time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/quote]
    You are so beyond expectations and beyond your hardware (if your computer profile)
    quote]

My PC has Intel Core TM2 Quad CPU 2,4HGHs & 4GB RAM. Is this not enough?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    native avchd support was added in cs4

cheers
    ...was added.
    How can I get it into my CS4?
    I don't have intenet on that machine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Suggest you update your computer profile. We were reacting to the 2.4GHz.

With a quad core cpu and Vegas Pro 8 or Premiere Pro CS4 you can set an AVCHD project. You will find that editing AVCHD is sluggish even with a quad core since realtime decode for scan/scrub takes much of the CPU power. You will need to render the workspace for effects preview.

It depends how many filters and effects you add but you will find editing a native AVCHD project a bit slow. Solution is to use the Cineform Neo-Scene digital intermediate codec which renders AVCHD to full 10bit deep individual frames in a format that processes efficiently with much less picture quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to h. k., when Adobe Premiere CS4 was finally unveiled, it could open AVCHD streams natively like, say DV AVI. Whether you can scrub AVCHD, let alone apply effects without spending an eternity on it, etc. is another story. Before this, whole forums were devoted to anguished cries about CS3 not supporting AVCHD, and at how support should be added to it free, NOT in a later version, such as what happened now with CS4, which, of course means you have to fork over $$ for the update. Do you have CS3 or CS4?
    Either way, as a lot of us now realize, whether or not Premiere CS4 (or any other NLE, including but not limited to Vegas 8 or 9) can open AVCHD is a good thing is only half the story. Apart from strict cuts and other such simple manipulations AVCHD is simply not amenable to fancy editing within a given reasonable time (and I'm generous when I'll get by if it takes 2 seconds to render a 1-sec clip with maybe 2 effects or so). After all the hue and cry over AVCHD support the end landed somewhere in the kvetch.
    Which takes us full circle to the use of an intermediate, in which external programs will be relied upon to generate the HD *.AVIs from our beautiful *.MTS AVCHDs downloaded from our camcorders so that our current programs--and PCs--once again edit blazingly. Of course HDV is there, buttery smooth on your average Core2Duo as minidv2dvd says, but it's tape-based and comes with all of its frailties which may or may not look less sexy to you than anything on an SD card or HDD.
    We can project to a near future where we can edit AVCHD natively without simultaneously baking a cake, but I haven't heard reports so far of happy people editing away on a 100% AVCHD platform with, say, a quad Intel i7 packed with 6GB of triple channel memory, etc. Is this processor our AVCHD Holee Grail?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Suggest you update your computer profile. We were reacting to the 2.4GHz.

With a quad core cpu and Vegas Pro 8 or Premiere Pro CS4 you can set an AVCHD project. You will find that editing AVCHD is sluggish even with a quad core since realtime decode for scan/scrub takes much of the CPU power. You will need to render the workspace for effects preview.

It depends how many filters and effects you add but you will find editing a native AVCHD project a bit slow. Solution is to use the Cineform Neo-Scene digital intermediate codec which renders AVCHD to full 10bit deep individual frames in a format that processes efficiently with much less picture quality loss.
    Thanks. I have both, Vegas pro 9 & Premier. Never used them before, so to me is no difference which one to start. What would you prefer if you had to pick? I'm no going to use lots of effects & filters because I'm concentrating on video content more than of effects. So, cutting and arranging mostly. Looks like Vegas or Premier will be good enough, just need time to learn & to practice.
    I'm trying right now to edit quickly a test clip on movie maker (ok, don't laugh). Of course not in AVCHD, but still quality is really, really good. By the way HF S10 delivers incredible quality… I think if I learn how to use it properly – it can produce something really good. I’ll show you test clip when I finish it.
    I’m reading post on mac thread you've recommended.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly use Vegas Pro 8 for general editing. I use Premiere Pro for graphics and layer intensive work.

I don't have Premiere CS4 myself so I haven't used it for AVCHD.

I think you will find Vegas Pro easier to learn. Follow the help instructions for AVCHD format.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I mostly use Vegas Pro 8 for general editing. I use Premiere Pro for graphics and layer intensive work.

I don't have Premiere CS4 myself so I haven't used it for AVCHD.

I think you will find Vegas Pro easier to learn. Follow the help instructions for AVCHD format.
    Thanks. I think at this moment I stick to Vegas, I’ve tried it already and it’s not so complicated for basic editing (splitting, adding transitions, titles, etc). But most important – it can open mts files in Vegas.
    I’m not sure if I can finish test clip in movie maker: after about 15 episodes added to the timeline it started to crash… Any way I’ll make that clip in Vegas if movie maker not able to do that job.
    I’ve tried to save (render) post production in different formants in Vegas but still have not much clue. I need two options: one for the internet (youtube & direct play), and second one for DVD. If you know rendering settings in Vegas, which option should I use to save the AVCHD quality?
    In general: I can’t at this time buy or build more powerful PC, some kind of workstation. And I’m not going to change original AVCHD format (to change a camera actually). So, I need to find quick and easy way of editing mts files without loosing quality, or at least keeping it as close to original as it possible (what was the point to buy HD camera if I loose image quality…). Looks like Vegas maybe a right solution, I just need to figure out what settings I need to select. For the very basic editing (for the intenert) I still try movie maker.
    Original software which I’ve got with camera is crap, or close to. But still I’ll try to burn DVD directly from that software to see if there any difference in quality between Vegas for example and original software.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I hope I’ll get more.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is my test video clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZvqMdhEtPk
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Did you try TSPE? It should be able to open AVCHD in a transport stream container (.mts).

You should be able to do basic editing with P to I frame accuracy (frame accurate support is in the pipeline).

If you can put a sample up to a filesharing site like rapidshare or zshare I can have a look and see how TSPE handles your format.

Regards,

Vent
    Quote Quote