VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys,
    A week ago I went from WINDOWS XP to WINDOWS VISTA 64 bit. Wonderful, everything works well.......except.........

I have a HP Business Ink jet 1200 color printer. I use it to print out my DVD covers. Never been a problem with WINDOWS XP. But now with WINDOWS VISTA 64 bit there is a problem.

This DVD cover is a long image - 10.9 by 7.1 inches - so I have always clicked on MINIMIZE MARGINS in the HP 1200 printer Document properties / Operating software. But with the new VISTA 64 bit operating system this MINIMIZE MARGINS is frozen and cannot be clicked on. Why? Is there a way around this?

NOTE: HP does have the new drivers for VISTA 64 bit ........but the operating software for this printer is not VISTA 64 bit compatable, yet. I know because I called and spoke with the technician. There is no idea when the VITA 64 bit software for this printer - or many other HP printers will be ready for download from their site. Not good.

Help!

orfa jackson
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should actually talk to Microsoft and HP about this issue rather than go to a video website asking about printer help.

You would get more help from the vendor than here.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is the limitation of 64bit. Not all drivers or apps will be updated.

Options:
    1. Install Vista32 instead (that is what I do).
    2. Dual boot XP and Vista64
    3. Find an alternative app. and/or buy new peripherals.
    4. Install VMware and run virtualized XP or 32 bit Vista.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. You should actually talk to Microsoft and HP about this issue rather than go to a video website asking about printer help
    You're new here aren't you, because people post non-video related questions here all the time.

While I agree posting to a "video" site might not be the best place to go, there do tend to be people here who have a workaround or the solution to your problem.

So honestly, there's nothing wrong with the question.

You might want to try these programs for printing DVD covers, they may work for you.

http://undercoverxp.tk/

or

http://www.coverxp.com/main.asp?page=support.asp

Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. When I installed Vista 64 after it was first introduced I had the same problem with my HP printer. I spoke to a tech and was told pretty much what you were told. Then I asked what other printers my printer could emulate.
    Lo-and-behold the tech got back on the phone with two other models my printer could emulate and those drivers came with Vista 64!
    Turns out the major difference was that the drivers installed with Vista lacked the ability to have the printer tell me the ink was low and automatically connect to HPs website. I can live with that.
    About 6 months later proper drivers came out for my printer.

So, find out what other printers yours can emulate and you may be good to go.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by RLT69
    You're new here aren't you, because people post non-video related questions here all the time.
    No, but you seem to gravitate to my posts, rather than ignore them. Look at my join date, and look at the number of my posts. You will find out that I have been a member for almost four years.

My point was that he should be talking to the vendor rather than a video website about drivers.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1- As mentioned try to test and find another driver that works. The full HP drivers are spyware, they keep checking for update and one can be sure there is no update for most older models, they continuously check what you do and profile the user. So generic with basic driver is better when ink started to fade you change.
    2- if you have another computer with 32 bit , connect to that computer and network the printer.
    3- printers are cheap in these days instead of buying new ink get another printer. I've seen some used office printers with low millage for $50 that could print thousands of pages. (B&W Laser).
    4- email your prints to your local Kinko and pick it up on your way.
    Quote Quote