VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    DVDWS2 will react differently, depending on the video codec, and how far out-of-spec it is. There are three scenarios:
    1 - Accepts, but re-encodes, doesn't ask you.
    2 - Rejects, no reason given.
    3 - DVDWS2 crashes

You also can't try to cram VOB files into it, it expects MPEG, MPG, M2V, AC3, MP2, WAV --- few more too, and it does reject some alternate extensions like MPA. Sometimes it takes clean VOB files (audio and video only), but it will have problems with noisy VOB streams (full of multi audio, nav data, subs, etc).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shrinking your new DVD in DVD Shrink is a horrible idea. That program butchers homemade video. Use DVD Rebuilder, which performs a true full re-encode. That's what you need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the source PAL video was originally 25 fps and you wanted to convert to NTSC, would the avisynth script used in this thread be the recommended way to go? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks ls. Been doing some searching and found your guide as well as one on doom9. May give them all a try and see whats up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DVWannaB
    If the source PAL video was originally 25 fps and you wanted to convert to NTSC, would the avisynth script used in this thread be the recommended way to go? Thanks.
    If it's progressive just use 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown with DgPulldown.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well, I'm stalled on my PAL projects because of colorization issues. It will be at least a week before I can resume. But, I've revamped an old computer and so now have a proper machine for digital video.

I was pretty fascinated with the IVTC and having the dvd player do a pull down, so I thought I'd redo one of my laserdisc backups using the IVTC. Now this is NTSC. I used the viewfields filter in VirtualDub to see if I could recognize the pattern. From what I can gather this is a rather unusual pulldown pattern. It goes:

A B C D D
    A B B C D

I expected something like:

A B B C D
    A B C D D

Will one of you guys examine my clip and verify what I think I see?

http://rapidshare.com/files/244330786/OddTele.avi

I've cut the clip so that it starts with what I think is the first two fields of the pattern.

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, having thought about it, I guess it's not unusual. I guess that's what you call 'bottom field first'.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Isn't all DV AVI bottom field first? Anyway, that sample is. You don't IVTC in VDub - not if you want good results. You IVTC within an AviSynth script (I'm using TIVTC here):

TFM()
    TDecimate()

You can also discover the field order (if TFF or BFF) in AviSynth.

AssumeBFF()
    SeparateFields()

If it plays smoothly (as it does), then it's BFF. If it plays jerky, then it's TFF.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are no frames on a laserdisc. The analog video is stored as a series of fields. The player simply plays the fields back one at a time, in the order in which they appear. A digital capture device captures these fields in the order they are sent. It can start by capturing a top field then adding the next field, a bottom field, to complete a frame, thereby creating top-field-first digital frames. Or it can start with a bottom field, add the next (top) field, to create bottom field first frames. On playback the two fields in each frame have to be displayed in the proper order or you will get jerky video. DV devices always capture BFF (it's possible to create TFF DV via software though).

If your telecine pattern is consistent throughout the cap it is possible to get excellent results with VirtualDub's manual IVTC. If there are breaks in the pattern you have to work in sections. This gets tedious if there are more than a few breaks in a video.

As manono pointed out, since you can use AviSynth it's easiest to use TFM() to recombine fields into progressive frames, then TDecimate() to remove the duplicate frames. This usually gives very good results.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks again for the feedback. I was only using Vdub to inspect the fields, but I do want to use Avisynth for the actual work. The only way to really get to know Avisynth is to use it. But, I was looking at an older site that was steering me a bit wrong, so I'm thankful for the suggestions. I tried this script, but VirtualDub complains about invalid arguments to TFM:

clip = AVISource("Path\to\clip.avi", false)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()

I do have the TIVTC dll in my plugins folder, but also tried:

clip = AVISource("Path\to\clip.avi", false)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\TIVTC.dll")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()

same error:
    Avisynth open failure:
    Script error: Invalid arguments to function "TFM"
    (C:\Program File\AviSynth 2.5\Examples\NTSC_LD.avs, line 3)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Playing with the script, I found that the problem was "clip = ". I took that out and the script works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by StrobeLightEpileptic
    Playing with the script, I found that the problem was "clip = ". I took that out and the script works fine.
    Yes. If you don't specify a named clip AviSynth uses the default video clip which can also be referenced as "last". And if you don't specify a return clip, last is returned. For example:

Code:
    last = AviSource("whatever.avi")
    last = TFM(last)
    last = TDecimate(last)
    return(last)
    is the same as:

Code:
    AviSource("whatever.avi")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Code:
    last = AviSource("whatever.avi")
    last = TFM(last)
    last = TDecimate(last)
    return(last)
    Yeah, I see that crap all the time as examples of how to write a good script. It makes AviSynth needlessly more complicated than it is and trips up the beginners. No wonder people don't like to learn scripting.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I knew about the last variable. But I thought when I assigned the AVISource to "clip", that clip would also be "last". Guess not.

I noticed in one of the PAL videos that there was still a bit of twitching in the video. I have to recapture that video now, but I'm wondering if after I use yadif and SRestore and save it to Lagarith avi, I can then re-inspect the video and perhaps use TFM and TDecimate to remove the final bit of jerkiness I see.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by StrobeLightEpileptic
    I noticed in one of the PAL videos that there was still a bit of twitching in the video.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'twitching'. If you mean aliasing or 'line jitter', then I mentioned that already much earlier:
    Originally Posted by manono
    Because it's using a lot of bobbed fields, in places where there are fine lines you might see aliasing or 'line jitter'. That can mostly be fixed by using better bobbers, but the tradeoff is time - it'll take a very long time to complete the encoding. Yadif is often considered the best fast deinterlacer/bobber. With any luck the end result will be a smooth playing and "cleaner" video.
    If you mean something else, then please explain in more detail. Or upload a small piece of the source that shows this 'twitching' after the use of SRestore. In any event, if you've diagnosed the source properly SRestore has already given you back the correct framerate, and using TFM and TDecimate afterwards will only make it play jerky as you decimate to 20fps or below.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I agree, following Yadif() and SRestore() with TFM() and TDecimate() certainly won't fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been reading up on Yadif() and SRestore(), and those appear to have both fans and detractors. It's not quite as rosy as its being written here (or at least as I perceive it to be -- maybe I'm wrong). Anyway, I want to repeat that nothing will yield a perfect conversion. You're going to have to try several methods, find the least-bad one, and then live with that.

Or else you may suffer the same fate as some of us, having projects that take YEARS AND YEARS to complete.

OCD yet?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sorry, I haven't responded. I've been pretty busy with other issues. I should be getting back into these projects next week. Lord Smurf, I think I was OCD before I even began ;o) But, I'm definitely obsessed with getting the best I can, yes.

Manono and Jagabo, I don't know why I didn't realize about the framerate. I guess I'm still too new to this to distinguish between the forest and the trees. But I've already deleted all of the project files, so I won't have any samples again until next week.

I've read in another post you made that TempGaussMC was the best bobber, but was very, very slow. Well, like I've mentioned before, I've just revamped an older computer that has an AMD quadcore and 4 gigs of ram. I was surprised at how quickly it encoded a 2 and a quarter hour film with TMPGEnc. (It took 10 hours, but that was using TMPGEnc's highest settings. On the other computer that would have taken 4 days.)

So, I'm trying to read up on TempGaussMC to see how much more difficult the script would be.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Once you've downloaded and installed all the right filters just import TempGaussMC_beta1.AVS and replace Yadif() with TempGaussMC_beta1().
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well, I did my video capture through the tbc into bvp4 and then using a script using TempGaussMC_beta1 reduced the video 23.976. The TempGauss filter actually did remove the extra "twitches" I saw previously. I'm very happy with the way the video moves. The color, "overall", is pretty good. "Overall" because I still have an issue with the colors changing. From looking around I gather that this is called "luma flicker" and is common in old film. There seem to be a couple of filters available for this. A person in an After Effects forum recommended the MSU_deflicker as a very good one. I've also found one in for an avisynth script. But, I'm not sure at what point in the process I should have employed such a tool.

Right now I have the film stored in progressive frames in a lagarith codec at the frame size of 704x480. (I don't understand exactly why that frame size instead of 720x480, but it does get changed to this latter frame size in tmpgenc during the mpg2 encode.) It's also been de-noised. Is this the best time to use a deflicker filter on it?

Also, would I just use the filter on the entire film at once, or is it best to use the filter on sequences?

Another topic on this film is the audio. I understand that I have the thing as 23.976 and that it plays out in the proper time. But the audio sounds as though it's pitched too high. It sounds sped up. I've read elsewhere that this is a problem with PAL video conversions. But, if the audio is in sync with the video, ( and it is ), then how do you correct for this "sped up" sound?
    Quote Quote  
  22. In my experience deflicker filters work best on a shot by shot basis.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a love/hate experience with that deflicker filter.
    Sometimes it works great, other times it makes a mess. Tread lightly.
    Quote Quote