VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. so i got dvi only video card and a vga only monitor... monitor is old but i don't care... questions:

1. if to use dvi to vga converter, should it work if i use dvi-i converter on a dvi-d cable? (because it doesn't work in my case with dvi-i converter and dvi-d single link cable... in this scenario the problem could be that the converter needs an analog signal, but the cable is dvi-d - digital, please explain)

2. when using converter is there image quality loss (i understand that i wouldn't see difference anyway, but just curious in a technical perspective)

3. is it technically different to use a dvi to vga cable from using dvi cable plus converter?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) I'm not sure if it should be working or not. The dvi-d cable is digital only and I don't know that the anlaog signal is being routed across the cable. Any standard VGA cable with a VGA to DVI connector will work just fine.

2) The converters do not cause any significant quality loss. I'm assuming here you are referring to the adapters you plug onto the end of the cables. With that said, any extra connections within a data path have the potential to degrade the signal.

3) No. The adapters (ie: converters) are simply mapping pins in the connector to wires within the cable. Not all pins get mapped. This will vary based on the cables used.

DVI info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI_connector
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote