VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Nero8 Essentials installed on a PC running Vista. DVDs that I burn will play on my PC and on my iMac but not on my regular DVD player. Do I need to upgrade (and if so, what is the cheapest avenue) or is it just a matter of setting the right preferences?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ditch Nero and burn with Imgburn.

I assume these are proper, compliant DVD structures (Video_TS folder with IFO, BUP and VOB files within) ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And also use good media. The bargain brand stuff tends to have more incompatibility problems than the good stuff. Not all burnable media has the same reflectance, for example. Some drives might handle certain media fine, while others choke. The better the media, the fewer the problems. Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden are most frequently mentioned here as good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It will be necessary for you to provide some more detailed information about exactly how these DVD video disks were created, in order to figure out why they don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by audax
    I have Nero8 Essentials installed on a PC running Vista. DVDs that I burn will play on my PC and on my iMac but not on my regular DVD player. Do I need to upgrade (and if so, what is the cheapest avenue) or is it just a matter of setting the right preferences?
    You have to show us step-by-step in detail about how you create your DVD. Without these information, we are not able to help you.

Before the burning process started, you may try set the compatibility mode to DVD-rom. To do this, When Nero's wizard reach the page that let you select burning speed, on the right side of drop-down box for choosing your burner, there is an option button. Click that option button, a setting window will be opened. The setting for compatibility mode must be set to DVD-ROM. Then burn the disc again.

If the above solution does not solve your problem, please tell us how you create your DVD, step-by-step, in very detailed. And tell us what model of burner you are using, and the model of your DVD-player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by csh

Before the burning process started, you may try set the compatibility mode to DVD-rom.
    This only has the possibility of working with DVD+R. DVD-R has no settable "book type" bits.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you to all who've responded - I'll try to answer all of you in one post.

I'm trying to back up a movie DVD, using DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink, both of which work fine. So I'm burning compliant DVD structures. I'm using Taiyo Yuden media - can't buy much better than that IMHO.

Coming to the post from csh, the Options tab offers only: Run backup in low priority mode, Shutdown computer when backup is complete and Play sound when complete. The Burn Settings tab offers: Volume label, Burn speed, Book type DVD-ROM and Burn at least 30mm (DVD+R/RW high compatibility mode).

I've checked this last option but the Book type DVD-ROM option is greyed out. It would seem that it's not available in my version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can only book type DVD+R discs. No other disc format will work.

Don't burn with Nero, burn with Imgburn.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gunsl1nger

How do I get DVDShrink to use IMGBurn to burn the output from DVDDecrypter? I've disabled Nero but IMGBurn wants to look for an ISO file. Or, do I use IMG instead of Decryp? If so, how do I select only the movie or compress a file?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps I should rephrase that last post. Starting with a virgin DVD, I want to rip, compress and burn it. Which of these functions do I use IMG for and what software do I use for the rest?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you look at the DVD Shrink page in the Tools section of this site you will find a link to a special version of DVD Shrink that will use Imgburn.

That said, you can always get Shrink to create an ISO or Video_TS folder, just burn these with Imgburn. The Help menu in Imgburn links to guides for it's use.

Personally, my process is

Rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter

Reduce the size with DVD Shrink if only a small reduction is required, or DVD Rebuilder with HCEnc if a large reduction is required

Burn the results with Imgburn

I always write to a Video_TS folder on the HDD first, test the results form there, then burn with Imgburn if satisfactory. I never just burn without testing first.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the copy protection of the DVD is the problem, you can also try the easy to use AnyDVD, from Slysoft.

Just open the program, it goes to the system's tray and will stay there disabling whatever protection methods your currently-in-drive DVD has.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Obviously, I prefer to use free or cheap software where I can but I have had DVDs that DVD Decrypter can't handle so I've tried many of the others, including all of those listed above, and none of them has done any better.

Interestingly, DVD Decrypter on my PC running VIsta will crack DVDs that it can't crack in XP running in VMWare Fusion on my iMac. Is there a logical explanation for this?

I've downloaded the IMGBurn version of DVDShrink and I'll try that shortly.

I won't close this thread yet because I'm getting more assistance here than anywhere else in the last several years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Obviously, I prefer to use free or cheap software where I can but I have had DVDs that DVD Decrypter can't handle so I've tried many of the others, including all of those listed above, and none of them has done any better.
    The latest verison of DVDFab HD Decrypter will rip just about any title you can name and is free.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    The latest verison of DVDFab HD Decrypter will rip just about any title you can name and is free.
    Thanks ntscuser - I hadn't realised that there was free stuff hidden in amongst all those expensive items.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the IMG version of DVD Shrink and ran it - it still gave the option only to burn with nero. So I quit, uninstalled Nero and tried again. This time I got a hyperlink telling me to install nero - no mention of IMGBurn as an option.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you select Imgburn as the burning when you hit Backup ?

If it isn't there then you have installed the wrong version.

Regardless, you don't need the Imgburn version to burn with Imgburn. Just output to an ISO and burn with Imgburn separately.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip movie using DVDFab HD Decrypter
    Shrink with DVD Shrink
    Burn with ImgBurn
    If you prefer quality over speed, i suggest you use DVD Rebuilder instead of Shrink.

There is are very good guides for each of these tools.
    Good Luck!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Are you doing something wrong? Yes, you are not making yourself aware of the detailed instructions available in order to better use the software available. Just pick some Guides and start reading. I can virtually guarantee that every two or three you will learn something useful.

IMGburn has a BUILD mode. Right there on the menu. This will take the video_ts folders and create an ISO image, which you then burn. In BURN mode. Or have Shrink output an ISO.

A minimal amount of research would reveal that some DVD players just do not like burned disks. Have you tried any other DVD players? The minimal research would also reveal that some DVD players just do not like certain brands of disks, apparently the player has not read the media quality reviews. Have you tried some different brands of media? Some players actually prefer cheaper media.

That same minimal research would have revealed that Nero is one of the very WORST burning progs available.

The logical explanation for why some software does not work correctly running in VMWare on a Mac is very, very simple. Some software does not work correctly running in VMWare on a Mac. Can you take a wild guess as to what process would have revealed this information to you?

It is still possible your burner is defective, or the disks are defective, or the player is defective, or one of several dozen other possibilities. The number one thing I would do in your situation is TRY SOME OTHER DVD PLAYERS. Then use ImgBurn, and if still no success, REPEAT STEP NUMBER ONE.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh dear! We're a little grumpy today are we Nelson37? Let me ignore your rudeness for the moment and take each of your points in turn:

1. You're right - I should have done more reading and I'm working on that now.

2. I knew that IMGBurn had that functionality - that wasn't my problem.

3. I'm not sure how "minimal research" would reveal that some DVD players don't like burned disks. Should I have bought one of each and tested them or somehow found the relevant web pages amongst the 57 squillion pages relating to DVD burning? I guess if I Googled "some DVD players don't like burned disks", I'd get the right one. Silly me.

4. Similar to 3. I suppose I should have Googled "Nero is really bad".

5. If there is any software that doesn't run in VMWare on a Mac I've yet to find it. I run many dozens of software packages and have never had one refuse to work. Both DVDFab and IMGBurn will run in VMWare.

6. I have three different brand DVD players and my problem DVD will not play on any of them. I doubt that repeating step 1 would alter that.

Getting back to your rudeness, I would remind you that the prime function of any forum is to exchange information at expert and novice levels and everything in between. The assistance provide by forum contributors has allowed many thousands of people to improve their skills in a host of fields. I participate in a couple of other forums and, like you, I am sometimes annoyed by contributors' apparent stupidity but, like nearly everyone else, I refrain from abusing them. If you think I'm dumb (and maybe I am at this stage), just stop reading this thread and get a life.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Nelson's defense, you do seem to be ignoring much of the instructions given to you.

Sometimes people need to be shown that their method is wrong in order to help them. If people don't know that they are making stupid mistakes, they won't learn unless someone tells them.

You may think that what he said was harsh, but I believe that it was him just being blunt. Honestly, you're the one who sounds more like a jerk.

I would add suggestions, but there really isn't much more to say since everyone's done everything short of going to your home and doing it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  22. 1. EXCELLENT! This single act was the entire goal for which I was aiming. Whatever you think of my methods of communication, it was Effective. If you don't have that, its just babble.

2. Your statements about being unable to burn with this program indicated otherwise. This is NOT a case of misunderstanding what you said. It is an example of communication which is NOT effective.

3. No, you search HERE, in the DVD players section as well as the forums, and you would have learned this, employing that reading skills mentioned previously.

4. Similar to #3.

5. You have apparently self-discovered at least one. There are more. See #3 and #4, though the manual for the specific program and other, dedicated venues would be the preferred source.

6. An extremely important piece of communication which was not effectively made. Using multiple hardware platforms for testing relates to the primary diagnostic principle of the KNOWN GOOD.

At no time did I call you stupid, dumb, or anything else. That is your own inference. I do not give a damn about your opinion, frankly. As a result of my input, you have provided probably the most important single piece of dignostic information needed to solve your problem, and you seem to have gained an awareness of what you need to do to help yourself.

Being blunt, harsh, or even rude is often necessary, as in many instances other methods are less effective. There's that word again.
    Quote Quote