VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Yes, this might be two BIG basic questions... And I might not use the right words, sorry!

I did first search for this and found some advice... And "jagano" did as example state that "interlaced sources going to DVD can be left interlaced" but that may not be the case, if you want clear stills??

1) I want as clear stills as possible from my future DVD films, when the viewer use pause or slow motion... The result must also be compatible with as many DVD players as possible... So what should I do to get that???

I guess it might be a question of interlace / progressive... And the only thing I know about that, is that details as lines not jump up and down, with progressive... I have now a miniDV and a Hi8 camera, that give 50i PAL and not progressive video... Plus a Panasonic tube TV set...

Observe that I will mainly use Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 or Vegas Movie Studio 9 and I have Vista... Im not "math smart" enough to use scripting programs and I simply don't understand many editing terms / words like "envelope" yet... My material will also stay as video (never convert to 24p) and I use the PAL system, but I want to release my films in USA too, in good time...

2) And if I should deinterlace, do I wonder how and where I should that - to get the best quality?!?

Im very grateful for any advice, but please don't guess!!

BB
    Welcome to my magazine - www.vantechmag.com - and the famous Best Buy guide
    Quote Quote  
  2. for dvd or anything going to be watch on a tv - leave it interlaced. to capture a still on a computer from that material use a software player that de-interlaces. if it's only going to be played on a computer monitor, then yes you could convert to progressive if you wanted. it would be done at the time of encoding to your final output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to understand that your source is standard resolution and interlaced from the moment you recorded it. This means you will never get clear stills from it. Even if you deinterlace it to progressive, you will not get sharp progressive frames. Depending on you you deinterlace, you will either get half height frames resized up to full size, or the two fields blended together. At best you might find a good adaptive deinterlacer that will give you a mixture of blend and clarity in still areas of the frame.

If you want good quality deinterlacing then you need to script, as the best are avisynth filters. You might look at Xvid4PSP's deinterlace settings, as it has a selection of avisynth based deinterlacers available.

But you will not get photo quality stills from your footage.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote