VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to transfer my photos from a Kingston 8gb CF card by inserting it in the card reader. The problem is that every time when I do that, the folder freezes.
    Is it because of the card reader?
    Quote Quote  
  2. older card readers may not be able to read newer cards. make sure yours is compatible. there are many cf specs - CF I / CF I Pro / CF I Pro II / CF I Elite Pro / CF I Elite Pro / CF I ultra II / Shoot & Store CF / CF II / CF II Magicstor / CF II Ultimate / CF-Digital Film / CF 3.0 / etc....
    Quote Quote  
  3. i forgot to mention it might be easier to just connect the camera to the computer with a usb cable and transfer the card contents while it's in the cam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    i forgot to mention it might be easier to just connect the camera to the computer with a usb cable and transfer the card contents while it's in the cam.
    Actually this is what I did because the card reader is quite old and maybe that's why I can't make it work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be far too afraid to stick one of my big DSLRs on the desk that has limited space, probably knock it over and damage a few $K's in gear that way.

I would bet that it's either a cheap piece-of-crap card reader, or an old card reader. I've dealt with both scenarios, especially the cheap junk.

The best under-$25 reader I've found so far is the GE unit from Walgreens. Some of those other ones from Walmart or office supply stores are flaky as can be.

I'd suggest a Lexar brand unit, preferably Firewire, if you can. It's my only reliable reader. The one that came built into my new min-HP isn't bad either.

What speed is the Kingston 8GB card? It might be freezing because the card is slow, and Windows is trying to build one of those stupid thumb.db files.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Epraizer UP850 62-in1 Car Reader from Bedox

A real deal cards reader on market
    It can read all kind of cards and even SIM card (3G too)

Cost-Effective handy gadget

Save me away from trouble!
    Quote Quote