VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking for something the other day, and tripped over at least 6 more of these sites that I had never heard of. Probably BS or scam sites, but whenever I get around to checking them out, if there are any good finds I'll let you know.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    best way to find subs, search the net for name of film & subtitles. e.g. subtitles Albakiara
    I do that -- again -- every couple months, for several titles. Usually the results remain negative, and I would not expect that to change until and unless there may be either a foreign tv sale or foreign dvd release for said titles. (In this case, 'foreign' referring to some English-speaking territory.)

Once in awhile, you will be surprised to find (instead) a Sub/IDX or SRT that some hobbyist, film buff, or simply generous person created and posted. But such people would have to possess the respective language skills, ability to make timed subs, plus the time and interest to do this. And that is a rather occasional, hit or miss situation.
    In the past, I've briefly experimented with some 'Do It Yourself' type shortcuts. To even try this, for sure you need to find a reasonably good existing .SRT file for the movie in some other language, as a prerequisite. (And I'm thinking certain languages -- like Spanish, Italian, or French -- may be much more amenable for this than, say, Russian, or one with a totally different alphabet.) The other .SRT file already has the movie's timecode worked out. The big problem I've run into is that most of the translation engine's I've tried -- like the one's used by Google Translate, Babelfish, or a popular standalone app (Babylon ?) still aren't nearly good enough. They are seriously lacking, particularly when it comes to colloquialisms and contemporary slang of the source language. In a case like the one I originally cited, which film seems to lean rather heavily on these things, the result is just plain lousy.

I ran into what must be much the same issue regarding a recent French film: the only English .SRT to be found is a "sponsored" one that someone made, by running another .SRT through Google translate. It is totally unusable. I wouldn't bother with it at all, but would rather wait for 6 months or two years, until something better becomes available. In the meantime, if that movie ever gets distributed here, I'd rather buy a ticket, or rent a DVD or stream it, if that becomes available. [And please -- no tiresome and stupid comments about the ethics of downloading stuff. For things that are not available here at all, and which may never be, you don't have much of a choice.]

But, getting back to my latest experiment . . . . Shortly after I found that movie, I also found an Italian .SRT file for it. An Italian .SRT file for a film whose language is Italian ? Yeah, I can't account for that either, but I've seen this happen a number of times before. Anyway, it provided some basis to work with. I knew that I had been pleasantly and unexpectedly surprised with the performance of a Firefox Add-On that I had installed a little while ago, Quick Translator 1.0b2. (Note that beta release version, as this is quite possibly important.) Though well short of great, and possessing a few bugs, it seemed to be a clear cut above the other such things I've tried. I wondered what might happen if I passed that Italian .Srt file through this translation module ?

It has a limited set of 'From' and 'To' language options, but Italian to English was one of them. It also has a length-of-text limit for what it will process, so I had to do this three times, in sections. The first section came out (mostly) formatted fairly close to what it should have been. But from there on, the output was like constant, run-on text, so I will need to tidy it up with a lot of reformatting, so that it duplicates the layout of the original Italian .SRT file. But, the key thing is going to be 'how passable is the translation ?' A quick scan suggests that it might be good enough to get by. I mean, we've all probably seen more than a few "professional" or commercial releases, where the English subs were bad enough -- with terrible spelling, laughable typos, or bad grammar -- that you really had to question what command of English the translator must have had. And why they would release it that way.

Anyway, I'm hoping this might turn out to be a proof of concept, and that this method might apply in some other cases. We shall see.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

Search Comp PM
    I knew that I had been pleasantly and unexpectedly surprised with the performance of a Firefox Add-On that I had installed a little while ago, Quick Translator 1.0b2.
    Looking at that plugin, it uses Google Translate.

There were several subtitle tools that did that automatically.

Subtitle Workshop 4 had a built-in translator that used that. However, Google removed their free API and broke it, see http://www.urusoft.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4
    Why SW4/5 translator doesn't work?
    This is because it is based on Google Translate API v1 and is no longer available as of December 1, 2011 and has been replaced by Google Translate API v2 (paid). Google replace it with the paid service due to the substantial economic burden caused by extensive abuse.
    So this feature will be removed in the next version of SW5...

But you can still do it manually, at http://translate.google.com/ and paste in your SRT.
    From a few tries, it seems to flake out at about 500 subs, so do it in chunks of 400 or less and you should be able to do it in a few minutes. This should be more reliable than doing it indirectly via the Firefox add-in, which Google may well block if they notice it.

Note: Google Translate changes some symbols:
    Code:
    00:02:07,180 --> 00:02:08,730
    Está bom, estou com fome.
    to
    Code:
    00:02:07,180 -> 00:02:08,730
    It's good, I'm hungry.
    Note that "-->" becomes "->".
    Easily fixed by search and replace and then you have a working SRT.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 3rd Jul 2012 at 23:13.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    There were several subtitle tools that did that automatically.

Subtitle Workshop 4 had a built-in translator that used that. However, Google removed their free API and broke it, see http://www.urusoft.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4
    Why SW4/5 translator doesn't work?
    This is because it is based on Google Translate API v1 and is no longer available as of December 1, 2011 and has been replaced by Google Translate API v2 (paid). Google replace it with the paid service due to the substantial economic burden caused by extensive abuse.
    So this feature will be removed in the next version of SW5...
    But you can still do it manually, at http://translate.google.com/ and paste in your SRT.
    From a few tries, it seems to flake out at about 500 subs, so do it in chunks of 400 or less and you should be able to do it in a few minutes. This should be more reliable than doing it indirectly via the Firefox add-in, which Google may well block if they notice it.

Note: Google Translate changes some symbols:
    Code:
    00:02:07,180 --> 00:02:08,730
    Está bom, estou com fome.
    to
    Code:
    00:02:07,180 -> 00:02:08,730
    It's good, I'm hungry.
    Note that "-->" becomes "->".
    Easily fixed by search and replace and then you have a working SRT.
    Thanks for the added info, Alan. From a bit of reading about this online I knew that an API had been broken, which seems to be why they had that beta release of the FF extension. (Which you have to go hunting for, as it's not found where the regular page for that extension happens to be. Also, some are saying development on that extension has been abandoned.)

Good to know about the character change. I was afraid you were going to say Unicode instead of Ansi, or something like that, which would have been a much bigger deal. (Or maybe it was Unicode already, to cover some of the foreign characters ?)

Search Comp PM
    Good to know about the character change. I was afraid you were going to say Unicode instead of Ansi, or something like that, which would have been a much bigger deal. (Or maybe it was Unicode already, to cover some of the foreign characters ?)
    Its very easy to convert between Unicode and ANSI.
    I use Ultraedit as my text editor, it's just a single click.

I'm sure most text editors have similar options.
    Anyway, you do need to watch out for special characters in case they turn into something unexpected.

Most of my subtitle programs use ANSI, but all my subs are in English so that works for me. If you wanted to make Chinese subs you might have to do it differently.

6. http://www.titulky.com/ - Czech and Slovak subtitle database.

Search Comp PM
    http://subscene.com/ recently came through for me on a few.

also:
    http://titles.box3.net/
    &
    http://www.subtitlesbox.com/

Hopefully the list will keep on growing.

8. 1 subscene.com
    2 opensubtitles.org
    3 podnapisi.net
    4 subtitleseeker.com
    5 subdivx.com
    6 divxplanet.com
    7 legendas.tv
    8 tvsubtitles.net
    9 farsisubtitle.com
    10 addic7ed.com
    11 allsubs.org
    12 turkcealtyazi.org
    13 subtitulos.es
    14 titlovi.net
    15 solosubtitulos.com
    16 subsunacs.net
    17 titulky.com
    18 italiansubs.net
    19 subs4free.com
    20 sub-titles.net
    21 fansubs.ru
    22 all4divx.com
    23 subs.ro
    24 napisy24.pl
    25 subcentral.de
    26 subtitles.com.br
    27 napisy.info
    28 moviesubtitles.org
    29 subtitlesource.org
    30 undertexter.se
    31 ondertitel.com
    32 subs.to
    33 titrari.ro
    34 subtitrari-noi.ro
    35 subscenter.org
    36 sous-titres.eu
    37 subsfactory.it
    38 hosszupuskasub.com
    39 mysubtitles.com
    40 nlondertitels.com
    41 engsub.net
    42 subtitlesbox.com
    43 asia-team.net
    44 freesubtitles.net
    45 feliratok.info
    46 greeksubtitles.gr
    47 subtitlesz.com
    48 anysubs.com
    49 tv4user.de
    50 legendas-zone.org
    51 seriessub.com
    52 subtitlesnl.com
    53 opensubtitles.net
    54 subsynchro.com
    55 tvsubtitles.gr
    56 subtitles.gr
    57 divxsubtitles.net
    58 mysubtitles.org
    59 subs.com.ru
    60 bsplayer-subtitles.com
    61 subsearch.org
    62 asiantitulky.cz
    63 u-subtitles.fr
    64 withs2.com
    65 tvsubs.net
    66 findsubtitles.com
    67 thaisubtitle.com
    68 divxtitles.com
    69 tvsubtitles.eu
    70 napisy.me
    71 greektvsubs.gr
    72 u-sub.net
    73 filmfeliratok.org
    74 sublight.si
    75 subswiki.com
    76 subtitry.ru
    77 swesub.nu
    78 subtitrari.com
    79 subtitlesync.com.ar
    80 u-subtitles.com
    81 subtitrari-filme.ro
    82 subiarkisto.org
    83 moviesubtitles.net
    84 tvsubtitlesindex.com
    85 free-subtitles.org
    86 subbiee.com
    87 all-about-subs.fr
    88 buscarsubtitulos.com
    89 buscasubtitulos.com
    90 chinese-subtitle.com
    91 divxforever.in
    92 divxtitlovi.com.hr
    93 downloadsubtitles.net
    94 esubtitrari.com
    95 feliratkereso.com
    96 feliratok.cc
    97 feliratok.hs.vc
    98 feliratok.org
    99 feliratozz.hu
    100 filmski-titlovi.com
    101 freesubtitle.com
    102 gaytitulky.info
    103 getsubtitle.com
    104 getsubtitle.org
    105 greekdvdsubs.com
    106 greeksubs.com
    107 greeksubtitlesproject.com
    108 haru2subs.com
    109 indivx.net
    110 insubs.com
    111 lets-sub.asia
    112 mojetitulky.com
    113 movie-subtitles.com
    114 movie-subtitles.org
    115 moviesubtitles.ru
    116 my-subtitles.com
    117 mysubtitles.ro
    118 niftyteam.ro
    119 norsub.com
    120 ondertitels.com
    121 opensubtitles.com
    122 podnapisi.eu
    123 prosubtitrari.com
    124 qsubs.org
    125 russiansubtitles.com
    126 srt-subtitles.com
    127 subfactory.it
    128 subs.gr
    129 subsland.com
    130 subsyndrome.com
    131 subtitle.ir
    132 subtitleonline.com
    133 subtitles.de
    134 subtitles.name
    135 subtitlesdownloads.com
    136 subtitleszone.com
    137 subtitrareamea.ro
    138 subtitrari-romana.com
    139 subtitrari-seriale.ro
    140 subtitrari.net
    141 subtitrarile.org
    142 subtitri.net
    143 subvito.eu
    144 tekstitykset.net
    145 titlovi.eu
    146 toatesubtitrarile.com
    147 topsubtitles.com
    148 tvsubtitle.ru
    149 undertekster.net
    150 xsubs.tv
    151 titles.box3.net
    Last edited by KneeRow; 6th Feb 2013 at 22:52.
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)

9. Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce our new site - subsync.net.

In case you have a subtitle that is out of sync, you can use this site to fix it in just 3 simple steps:

1. Find a good-synced subtitle in ANY language
    2. Go to www.subsync.net and upload your bad-synced subtitle (which is in your language) and upload the good-synced subtitle that you found in the previous step.
    3. Click "Sync!"

You will receive a fixed subtitle in about 1-2 seconds.

In case the process fails, you can always try it again with another pair of subtitles.

Enjoy ,
    SubSync.net crew

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SubSync.net View Post
    Hi everyone,
    In case you have a subtitle that is out of sync, you can use this site to fix it in just 3 simple steps:
    You can do this in Subtitle Workshop:
    Edit/Timings/Read timings from file.

And many other options for syncing.

11. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Hi everyone,
    You can do this in Subtitle Workshop:
    Edit/Timings/Read timings from file.

And many other options for syncing.
    SubSync.net is an online tool without the need to download any software.
    The key thing here is that our algorithm does all the work for you automatically without you having to do anything besides finding a good synced subtitle.

Search Comp PM
    The key thing here is that our algorithm does all the work for you automatically without you having to do anything besides finding a good synced subtitle.
    The key thing is that Subtitle Workshop's algorithm does all the same work without you having to type a captcha or pay a donation.

And more importantly, does it better since it also PLAYS THE VIDEO SO YOU CAN CHECK AND ADJUST THE SYNC.

And does a million other things you're probably going to need if you use subtitles at all.

What else do you have?
    An online solitaire game so I dont have to use my own?
    An online clock?

13. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    The key thing is that Subtitle Workshop's algorithm does all the same work without you having to type a captcha or pay a donation.

And more importantly, does it better since it also PLAYS THE VIDEO SO YOU CAN CHECK AND ADJUST THE SYNC.

And does a million other things you're probably going to need if you use subtitles at all.

What else do you have?
    An online solitaire game so I dont have to use my own?
    An online clock?
    First of all let us be clear about it, SubSync does not intend to be a replacement for Subtitle Workshop.
    Secondly, Subtitle Workshop and SubSync are not the same product. Subtitle Workshop is a framework where you can create, edit and do a whole bunch of things with subtitles as well as resync them. That is why its UI is so advanced, so it can support all of these great features.
    On the other hand, SubSync solves just the resyncing part, and because it does just that, it does it in the best way it can.
    Unlike Subtitle Workshop, SubSync was built to be as simple as possible, keeping all other subtitle editing options out, so that even the most novice user will be able to use it. And by “novice” we obviously mean a user that knows how to download at least two subtitles, just to be clear on that too.

Maybe you didn’t understand SubSync:
    SubSync fixes the sync of a bad-synced sub in YOUR language using another sub that is good-synced in ANY OTHER language. Thats it, nothing more and nothing less. You don’t have to adjust the sync manually because the sync will be corrected automatically.
    SubSyncs’ algorithm can handle all kinds of situations: different versions of subtitles, uneven number of lines, shift in times, different frame rates, added lines (such as copyrights and other things translators add) and a mix of the situations above. And again, it handles all of these situations automatically, without user input, except the two subtitles of course.

About the donation, you don’t have to donate and certainly not to pay anything. It is given as a free service for everyone, and whoever wishes to donate may do so, thats the meaning of donations. Subtitle Workshop also asks for donations.

We also feel that the Captcha may be a bit annoying, but how else would you prevent bots from abusing the system?

We encourage feedback and respect it. We are always open for new ideas and improvements, so feel free to give us any relevant feedback.

We hope that you will enjoy and profit from using this site, as many others are.

Search Comp PM
    Maybe you didn’t understand SubSync:
    SubSync fixes the sync of a bad-synced sub in YOUR language using another sub that is good-synced in ANY OTHER language. Thats it, nothing more and nothing less.

Of course I understand it.
    It just seems completely useless and pointless.

And it can only fix the sync of a small number of subtitles, with no way to check that sync is correct all the way through, let alone make any other necessary adjustments.

Subtitle Workshop is a small, free download that does the job much better in every case.

And if you think I'm being hard on you, I received an alert someone has replied to a a thread I had contributed to several years ago only to find you here promoting your silly site.
    You are spamming this site, attaching your your links into an old thread which subject is unrelated to your product. Your product is not a "subtitle site", providing subtitles for videos, it's an online subtitle tool.

15. Skew correction is easy. But what about audio drift correction?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    Skew correction is easy. But what about audio drift correction?
    I keep saying "Subtitle Workshop", because it does all that.
    RTFM.

And your question is not related to "Good subtitle sites".
    Please start a new thread.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. lots of sites there for me to take a look at, At the moment the one I like the best is subsmax. If you download a subtitle, and it doesn't sync with the video. They will adjust it for you.

Search Comp PM
    Since someone else has revived this thread, at least temporarily, let me mention that at 5 years later and counting my searches for the subs mentioned in my post #10 has remained unavailing. If I took the time to compile a list, it's very likely I could come up with another 25 titles (easily) for which English subs also never came out. And those are just ones I knew of and had some personal interest in finding. Where there was never a DVD or BR release including multiple language tracks, or a sale to Starz, Encore, or etc., I guess that should not be very surprising. (A film that got good circulation on the int'l. film festival circuit would be another exception, which may have provided enough reason for such subtitles to be commissioned, though this could be limited to a few prints. I'm saying "prints", although that could already be archaic, in this post-celluloid world. But same difference, if it's a private disc that very few have access to.) Far more titles fall into that category than you might ever imagine. So many films get made all over the world every year, and a whole lot of them never get a distribution deal.

19. i use this site,it may help you to download subtitles
    http://subnak.ir

20. Try www.subtitles.me No spam, no viruses, clean website...